Video technology (VAR) in football

They were discussing the Morata incident on the Guardian podcast today. Jonathan Wilson was in the VAR camp after the World Cup but now has moved across to “it’s a shambles” camp. He raised the point that if that tiny bit of contact had been the other way around would a penalty be given? In all likelihood no.

By all means, VAR can be a good thing, but I still insist that incidents like that are not what it should be used for. If it’s overused and punishes things like that it’ll ruin the game.

It will ruin the game is the #1 go to excuse for VAR haters :eyes:

I for one only support VAR when it benefits a team I like.

5 Likes

The VAR haters’ excessive need to make a big deal about VAR is gonna annoy the experience of VAR implementation.

Stop whining. It needs to be implemented and tested to know what can be done.
It’s not perfect but still better than the actual shambles we had so far.

1 Like

It needs to be clearly defined. Basically what’s happened so far is there’s a screen there and sometimes the ref goes to look at it. It’s current implementation is a fucking nonsense.

I’ve always maintained that the best solution regards to VAR, would be to introduce a limited amount of callouts you can use for a game. Similar fashion to Cricket. Each team for example, could challenge a decision, say three times during a game. That way, it limits the amount of VAR useage, but still enough for it to be used, in crucial moments, which really is what is was designed for.

1 Like

Im not sure how you can do that though. If its brought in to clear up mistakes your basically going back on that and accepting mistakes again.
I know your using cricket as an example but that isnt how it works in either code of rugby. If we are having it one thing you need to do is deal the fans in. At least show people whats being reviewed on the screen like in rugby.

If a ref believes that was too much contact how is it the video’s fault?

Because of VAR, we may actually get clarity on that kind of stuff and move on, especially regarding the shenanigans that go on in the box.

I agree that goal should have been given, but it wasn’t because of the video that it got taken off.

VAR looks to be working great ehh?? :joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Yeah when people advocate for VAR (as I tend to), we forget that the people looking at the screens can still make mistakes just like the refs.

It’s such a crock of shit

1 Like

Use only for offsides, then it would work a treat.

Useless tool. It is making football a non-contact sport.

2 Likes

What did VAR ever do wrong. When did a ref make a decision, look at VAR and then to his/her ability make a worse decision? It is not VARs fault the rules or the refs are bad. Saying VAR didn’t help/see this or that is not an argument, you do not need to get every decision right or not use it at all, if it makes more decisions correct it is better (from a ruling point of view).

I understand if you don’t like to wait, if you think it is part of the game to work the ref or that there are practical things to improve etc. I don’t understand how you can think that giving the ref more information about crucial situations, like looking at a situation from a different angle in itself is bad when it is either the rule or the ref you should disagree with, at best you get their more informed decision, at worst there is no change.

2 Likes

VAR wont work in football like other sports. In other sports its used to clear up or confirm things.
Football is implementing it really because of cheating culture and thats its problem. Football fans, players, managers deal in a blame culture and can never accept defeat or failure. Other sports are different in this and move easier with these things.

2 Likes

It’s tiring explaining this to people. If mistakes are made, it’s the referee who is at fault, not the system.

That’s the exact problem lots of us had with the system in the first place. It doesn’t remove mistakes entirely in the same way goal line tech does.

No technology can remove errors made over subjective matters.
What we can take delight on is the fact that refs have as much info as they can, no more ‘oh he had so & so in his line if sight, so he couldn’t see the tackle’ bullshit.

But it does remove some, and that’s better than none.

The problem seems to be the governing bodies and the rules of the game being so convoluted.

1 Like

Goal line tech is a decision making system, the ref doesn’t make decisions, he executes what GLT postulates.

VAR is not a decision making system, it is a facilitator.

To turn VAR into a decision making system we need VAR to be AI. This is probably 5 years away from now.

2 Likes

So true. It there wasn’t cheating in football you would just need VAR for offside and goal/no goal.

1 Like