Video technology (VAR) in football

It should be time boxed, or limited to number of replays. If you need more than 10 seconds or 2 angles to determine an offside then it’s not offside.

Football shouldn’t be about such bullshit as the point of his knee was in front of the heel of the opponent by 3cm, or from the 4th angle there was a tiny bit of contact so it’s a penalty.

3 Likes

Just had a look for the first time. Both were penalties for Schalke. What is everyone moaning about?

It was absolutely the right decision to disallow the goal. Two hands on the back of Chelieni, clear push which allowed Morata room to head it in.

VAR was excellent in the Atleti game tbh. Cant comment on the City game.

Love VAR.

1 Like

It’s not perfect and needs improvement but not having it because of romanticism is bullshit.

Romanticism left football ages ago. If you’re complaining of referees possibly having another tool to help them make decisions, at least make valid criticisms.

I remember it being so romantic when United would score those goals that were never over the line but were called because otherwise red nose would shout at the ref.

Now goal line tech has killed the romance!1!1!!1!!1

See, this is what i’m talking about. You only need to look at Twitter to see how split people are on it.

Personally, I think Chiellini was already going down before Morata even touched him. And he was so very dramatic about it too. Either way, I still don’t think VAR should be used for things like that.

1 Like

If a player puts two hands on the back of another then the right decision is to award a foul tbh.

I actually can’t see how it’s not a foul lol.

This is my fear here. You make the game virtually non contact sport. You can jump and have contact even with hands touching someone without it being a foul.
In short what you get here is a reason to change a decision.

1 Like

It was romantic in 1966.:thinking:

1 Like

Pitch side screen didnt work, so fuck VAR.
Great logic.

What a massive fuckup lol. Screens not working. Though it does reek of sabotage.

What is the hand ball rule tho? City’s defender was trying to move his arm behind his back and use his shoulder or chest to block the flight of the ball. That’s not the definition a hand ball, hand ball iirc is supposed to have intent and an the arm be in an unnatural position. The rules of the game aren’t even clear enough for the refs to be able to make the right judgement call.

And this btw was more of my issue with the pandora’s box that the replay opens up. It’s only going to convolute the current rules to confusing levels.

Who’s said that?

1 Like

Apart from one faulty screen in how many games, what has the technology done wrong exactly?
It’s still humans that cannot make the correct decision and that is obviously a problem with the rules or their interpretation and implementation, not the technology.

The rules are rooted with subjectivity and have an inherent unfairness to them, for as long as that is the way they are, VAR will be controversial.

1 Like

I assume you tweeted him rather than just complain about his tweet here.

Not that desperate.

The tweet was up in the replies shared by Pheobica, not something I saw on Twitter

Exactly, so stop impeding the pace and excitement of the game and let it play out. Im speaking as a proponent of eliminating instant replay in American sports as well. All it does is slow down the game, muddy the waters of the rule book, and bring more of a different type of controversy…in a slower clumsier anti climactic manner. VAR is shit.

1 Like

Yea. That’s always been my issue with it. If technology can do better and ideally eliminate mistakes (goal line tech) then great, if not it’s always gonna be controversial.

3 Likes

If a part of the game is effected by a break down though doesnt it throw up a problem. If a big decision is missed in that period surely its not right to re implement it back in that particular match.

VAR is fantastic for the sport. Officials need the help and it’s decent tech.

1 Like