Video technology (VAR) in football

Cool. I’ll wait.

Initially I was all for it but since its application I feel the authorities should have to take into account how shit the refs are in this one. The initial premise of “clear and obvious” just hasn’t come to pass and all these slow mo’s have done is give referees pressure and reasons to ignite drama. The technology is being misused and will continue to be misused. Using it exclusively for offsides and throw-ins sounds like a much more suitable alternative.

On top of that the rule book itself has too many grey areas.

Things on the pitch can also appear far worse/clearer in slow motion than they are in real time. Football is played at a fast pace and it would be silly to break every action down to milliseconds.

There also needs to be greater consistency with when VAR is used.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Under slow motion, everything is intentional and everything must have a reason; and add on the referee’s personal interpretation.

Okay, they set the rules, and better be consistent.
I want every handball gets the call in the box from now. Every ball whenever touches the hand, call it. See how stupid it will be.

Just wait for all this ‘silhouette’ rubbish. No one will know what the hell is going on.

1 Like

In the end, it is still referee’s decision.

Heard that they want to change to rule to, whenever your hand touch the ball in the box it is automatically handball.
At that time, VAR can be more useful.
Now, it is solely on referee’s interpretation and decision.

Yeah, as much as this would result in many harsh penalties being awarded where the player can do absolutely nothing to move his arm out of the way, it would at least clear everything up and remove the grey area.

There just isn’t a current consensus on what constitutes a handball. Many referees and ex players felt that Kimbepe’s handball shouldn’t have been a penalty, but just as many did. There are arguments for both sides of it and that isn’t a good thing; we need to create a clear blueprint for what a handball offense is in the box.

1 Like

Exactly.
I don’t like “whenever it touches the hand it is handball automatically”, but it is a clear cut rule at least and applies to everybody.
Right now, leaves too much imagination and interpretation for the referee. Not good and not fair.

1 Like

If they change the handball rule, players will start practicing kicking the ball onto a defenders hand. I think that sounds like a shitty rule.

1 Like

Yeah exactly this. Dribble and flick will be one element. Blast it and aim at everyone will be the other. Not an option for me that.

1 Like

Interesting viewing. I’m sure @Aussiegooner knows about this guy. Imagine open microphones in England :sweat_smile: A-League seems so chilled.

1 Like

This should have been the case already. But better late than never.

1 Like

Good.

VAR supposed to help referee to have a better understanding and view to make the right call, not giving him possibility for imagination and confused/mislead him.

1 Like

Something funny is happening here in our sports. There was a huge ground swell in support of instant replay like 10 years ago, but nowadays ppl are so tired of it. It’s far too over analyzed, and it adds wayyy too many stopages to our sports which are already a chore to watch.

1 Like

I think if VAR is only used to detect the ball crossing the line (goal or not, out of bound or not), it is perfect.

The problem is, there is no clear cut on certain things, like handballs. Even among referees there are different standards and interpretation of the rule itself.

If it is automatically handball if the ball hit the hand, it helps the ref to make the call in the box, but it is also extremely stupid that, it looks more like to prevent referee to interpret than helping and improving the game itself.
(we had already discussed that players will intentionally kick the ball to opponent’s hand to get PK)

1 Like

On and offside will work too.

1 Like
1 Like

Oh yea, everyone will agree with that and play nice, won’t they.:bellcry: