Cancel Culture and related issues

The only hole I ever see picked is that people are/were after his money (I’m sure some were). Dude could have just stopped hanging around with ten year old boys and they wouldn’t have been able to accuse him of anything then.

Nah a lot of the accusations against him over the years have been proven to be false. That Netflix documentary was so bad they pretty much disproved it.

1 Like

Who was that rock star who married his 14 year old cousin?

Jerry Lee Lewis
But it was legal at the time

That’s the one!

I suppose even Elvis has to be separated from his music. He married an underage Priscilla

In regards to classical music absolutely, since you have to consider the time period as you say. Music as a whole I don’t agree.
Regarding Clapton I’m aware of his racist remarks in the 70’s and let those who condemn him for it throw the first stone. There’s maybe a explanation because of his drug abuse, but in no way is it a excuse.

Since none of us were around at the same time as Wagner I absolutely agree. It is however harder (imo) to excuse artists and composers in today’s ‘enlightened’ world. In 300 years they’ll probably look back and think todays creators had questionable opinions.

1 Like

Elvis didn’t marry underage Priscilla, he met her underage, regarding Jerry Lee it was the British press that brought his marriage to the attention of the public, didn’t seem to be a problem when he got married lol

1 Like

He didn’t write his own music either.

1 Like

I mean no one mentions the amount of Hollywood movies that use Wagners music, the best case in point would be Charlie Chaplin’s use of his music in The Great Dictator which was a satire against Hitler.
The most recent use I can think of was The Army Of The Dead

2 Likes

Who? Pelvis?

Burning Love is legit one of my favourite-est songs ever.

I’m burning that record.

1 Like

Well Dennis Linde has written a fair amount of hits.

Woody Allen said it always made him feel like invading Poland.

If he had continuously made those remarks, then fine. But I’m not going to condemn someone for a remark they made nearly fifty years ago.

That was the point I was trying to make, a one off comment he made years ago which is probably now forgotten but is actually worse than for the comments he has recently said which he is being attacked for.

Fuck Woody Allen. Now that’s a guy who should get canceled.

1 Like

Gary Glitter is a vile nonce but I’d be lying if I said that the use of Rock and Roll Part 2 wasnt my favourite bit of Joker.

3 Likes

I was actually thinking this when I was writing the above post, definitely the coolest scene in the film

That sort of played in though to the character and gets a pass for me.

Rumour has it that because of the Gary Glitter association to the song, the director purposely chose it to make the audience feel even more uncomfortable with the awakening of The Joker.

1 Like

39 posts were split to a new topic: Transwomen Participating in Female Sports