Cancel Culture and related issues

How many British landmarks have had their names changed so far?

Everybody is always going to be offended by something but that’s all it is, nothing more than a few words on social media.
I cannot think of a single instance where an artist, a singer, a writer etc has actually been outright cancelled and their career ended for what they have said.
For instance Richard Wagner was a genius, his music still played on the radio, by orchestras all over the world, but everyone agrees he was a despicable person for his beliefs, but will he ever be cancelled, of course not.
All it is people from both sides getting outraged for the sake of it.

1 Like

None lol although khan really wants to change London to be more inclusive

What a monster.

He is a bit of dick though trying erase the identity and history of London for likes.

1 Like

What’s he actually said? If you Google Sadiq Khan diversity you get a lot of hits.

But Wagner is also dead so “canceling” him or his music is kind of irrelevant.

I do think the term “cancel culture” is basically meaningless at this point though. I think it might have been @JakeyBoy who made the point that really the people who actually get “canceled” or suffer the most harshly are usually nobodys while the people who cry the loudest about being canceled still have enormous platforms and are making bank off being canceled.

1 Like

In today’s day and age I’m not sure being ‘cancelled’ is a bad thing for those who are. Talking from a exposer and financial point that is.

Wagner’s music is beautiful. It’s a pity there are people who can’t separate the artist from their art.

1 Like

IDK. Maybe it’s just me but whenever I hear it, I start packing a suitcase.

1 Like

This is interesting and something I have thought about a lot. Not having a go btw!

For me personally I have a harder time accepting bad moral stances by a musical composer (a artist just singing music made by others is a different thing). When you write and compose a song you put a part of yourself into that creation, a part of your personality.

Take Eric Clapton for example. Amazing guitarist and composer and his music has meant so much to people throughout his career. His latest antics have left so many people disappointed (or he’s just having that grumpy old man syndrome). Jon Schaffer of Iced Earth who stormed the Capitol is another example.

It’s easier (for me) when it comes to say a football player. I can more easily recognise his skills and achievements on the pitch, even though he’s a complete asshole off the pitch.

When it comes to music the distinction between the person and his/her art is just harder for me. Maybe because when I write and compose my person rubs off on what I create.

Exactly it was just an example of which I’m familiar with rather than someone questioning something dubious which happened in the past which cannot be altered.

Why?

Michael Jackson is another example. Thriller is a masterpiece, and I will always listen to it.

1 Like

MJ is the :goat:

2 Likes

And completely innocent…

3 Likes

1 Like

I completely agree. It’s hilarious how many holes have been picked in the allegations against him over the years.

2 Likes

With Eric Clapton many people forget or are unaware that he made a racist remark in the 70s which i assume he apologised for due to his drug/alcohol abuse, but if he made that remark today he would be deemed a white supremacist.
So would people’s perception of him differ in the space of over 40 years?

Regarding Wagner I was using him as an extreme in his field of music because there are countless composers with questionable attitudes regarding today’s times.
When it comes to classical music you absolutely have to separate the music and the composer because essentially it comes down to the interpretation your conductor sets.
He was part of an era that was riding a wave of assertive nationalism that came with the creation of the German empire.

I’ve played with musicians who are Jewish who obviously deplore his views as do I, but not one of them would refuse to play his music because there would really be no point.

If you are into any form of music you really need to separate the art from the artist otherwise there wouldn’t be much left to play or listen to.

2 Likes

@Joshua i understand but as i said it’s really not like that