Alexandre Lacazette

FgU9JEo

1 Like

Hilarious

1 Like

The thing is as well, most people knew he just wasn’t that good. We just wanted something that was different to Giroud because it was obvious that Giroud wasn’t cut out for it.

The reality is that he just isn’t that good. He should be shifted as priority in the summer whilst he still retains a nice market value.

3 Likes

Martenelli has s chance to put this to bed once and for all with some decent performances and goals.

You cannot dispute what’s Laca’s role in the team. He and Ozil are bundled together, creating space and interplaying while Auba/Pepe are trying to get in the box. Auba more of natural poacher so it’s easier for him to get in the right space while Pepe likes to take to defenders on and combine with AMN, Ozil and Laca to make his way to the box.

You’re describing any lone striker in a 2 offensive winger formation.

A false 9 is involved far more than Lacazette is. If he completed more than 14 passes a game I’d say yeah sure he inter plays with ozil and others to create space. But in 90 minutes he makes 14 passes.

We can make money on him, it can help us rebuild, we should take this opportunity to improve our team and get rid of average players who have shown us their level, which is not good enough for Arsenal or top 4.

2 Likes

Nope.

K.

There was a lot of hope when he first came in, and his 2016-17 ligue 1 season was still really good, even if you include the penalties.

He had really power and good ability to work in tight spaces as well, and very good shot selection. He just didn’t take enough.

Same when he first came. It was an encouraging start.

It’s a real shame that instead of kicking on and becoming a top class striker, he has gotten worse at taking shots, his shot power seems to have gone, and he seems to be slower and more unfit than he used to be.

A lot of it is confidence but he has gone in the opposite direction to what he should have to make it here.

I think this was inevitable, he doesn’t have the physical gifts or natural striker instincts to maximise his ability.

Doesn’t have great movement, ability to gain separation from defenders or that intangible quality of sniffing out goals.

When you looked at him in Ligue 1 it was always going to be an uphill battle in a league such as this.

1 Like

Just scrolling up to see what the original opinion on Laca was. Came across this. So… what’s the conclusion? :laughing:

I honestly don’t actually know. I think Laca is a lot better than he’s showing lately but also that him and Auba can’t actually play together and we should have signed Auba by himself when we bought Laca.

Probably closer to cursed than success but maybe Arteta can change that.

4 Likes

I might be wrong here but the Auba signing and timing of it was quite a reactive and opportunistic action due to his circumstance and fallout with BVB. I think as a club we defo deserve credit (not saying you didn’t) for how we wrapped that one up, especially as we were letting Alexis go at the same time.

Prior to that Auba had said plenty of times publicly he’d never want to join us whenever we’d been associated with him.

1 Like

Aubameyang’s relationship had broken down long before the summer of 2017, he was obtainable in the summer window. The reason why he didn’t leave earlier was because his market was cold.

Wenger didn’t pursue him because he wasn’t aggressive/ambitious enough until Jan until he was completely desperate to save his skin and we stupidly retained Alexis.

5 Likes

Ahhh cheers, fair enough. @Castiel you get a like then brother

1 Like

Did he actually say that? :sweat_smile::joy:

One time he came down an escalator some kid asked him if he was for joining Arsenal and he was like “no why would I.” He was clearly just hiding how thirsty he was to come play for us.

1 Like

Yeah but he’s not very good and definitely not 50m good but I guess when u persist with Giroud for as long as we did you have to placate the fans somehow. A terrible way of doing business regardless.

I’m a fucking visionary :joy::joy: looking in Calum’s direction on this one :grin::grin::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I think you’re arguing against something that doesn’t exist at this point… no one thinks he’s the answer, but we only have 2 strikers, and one is heading into his final contract year. If we sell Laca and then somehow can’t keep Auba, we have Eddie and Martinelli… we’d need to buy, probably 2 as I’m not convinced Eddie will be with us and I’m not sure If that is the right role for Gabby and we can’t possibly think putting him as our main striker is prudent next season.