Unpopular football opinions

Team @SRCJJ on this one. Pogba is an elite midfielder. That 20min cameo the other week when he came on and immediately dwarfed everyone on the field was just a glimpse of how good he is.

3 Likes

Different positions. Bale is expected to influence the final third of the pitch with a constant and direct stream of goals and assists.

Pogba has a totally different role on the pitch, which relies heavily on the quality of those around him.

How many world class midfielders perform to a world class standard in shit teams with barely viable managers and a shit squad?

Bale did at Spurs.

1 Like

I’m highlighting attitude though from an elite level player.
Bale obviously carries that side but he lifts and leads them players around him.
That’s not just going to come on match day. His effect in training and on the players around him can only come from a degree of humility that I doubt Pogba shows,gives or feels at United.

Pogba certainly hasn’t covered himself in glory at United but there is no doubt he is world class. I remember watching abit of him at Juventus from 2013-15 and saw him moving to Barcelona and fitting in seamlessly.

For some reason or another his agent got him a move to united and its been a disaster. Not the right club at all and he must surely question his management…

1 Like

Unpopular opinion - any player in this squad is good enough to reach the top four with.

1 Like

Today’s fullbacks no chance.

That’s seven to five years ago, depending on which part of that period you want to measure from. That’s a long time ago in football. There is doubt that he’s world class because he doesn’t produce the kind of performances that impressed you so much on a regular enough basis. World class isn’t a permanent reputation, it has to be consistently backed up by evidence.

IMO, of course, mate :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Mate after last season how can anyone even dispute this we only needed to beat Brighton or Palace at home right? It took a terrible collapse to throw top four away.

1 Like

Why do people keep mentioning Bale lol? He wasn’t a CM like Pogba he was a winger Man

1 Like

Fàbregas for us.

Liam Brady was a midfielder who performed to a higher level and commitment with an average midfield. He should be taking more responsibility. He clearly doesn’t.

1 Like

Consistency is the beacon of being an elite midfielder.

@SRCJJ tends to blame everything around Pogba and not Pogba himself, having poor teammates is not an excuse for one’s own performances being poor on a regular basis over multiple seasons. At Juve Pogba had Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal around him. Take him out of that element and he’s exposed.

Pogba can’t be your best player or even second best player, KDB went to Germany to play for Wolfsburg and consistently produced high quality performances without elite players around him. In fact he was crucial in them beating Klopp’s Dortmund in the DFB-Pokal final. Check the pic below, that’s what elite players do, they ball wherever. Pogba convinced United to buy him playing for Juve and hasn’t delivered, KDB convinced City playing for Wolfsburg and hasn’t missed a beat.

I don’t even dislike him but Pogba has got to be one of the very few players where the argument is made that he’s a world class player “on his day” and certain conditions have to be met. His play doesn’t match the reputation, that’s not truly elite that’s marketing.

3 Likes

Still we have to read on a daily bases how shit this squad is. Yeah for a title it obviously is. Other than that it really isn’t.

Greatest of respect, that’s not true. He wasn’t world class when we we playing shit. He moped into obscurity in a number of games.

Wouldn’t Pogba’s time at Juve be equivalent to KdB time at Wolfsburg?

The difference between them now is that KdB went to a well run club on and off the pitch but Pogba didn’t. How consistent would KdB be at United under LVG, then Mourinho or Ole?

My definition of world class is a player who can do it anywhere. By definition, therefore, there ought to only be 11 world class players in the world.

My strict definition doesn’t put Pogba anywhere near a world class XI

3 Likes

How so when he was in an elite team at Juve? Was Wolfsburg an elite team?

I don’t think being an elite team has anything to do with it.

Both Wolfsburg and Juve set up in a way which got consistent top level output from each player. Would KdB be able to perform to the same levels as we’ve seen if he moved to United instead of City? I don’t think so

Very few players can overcome dysfunctional clubs and poor coaching

It has plenty to do with it, the team KDB played in at Wolfsburg was average whereas the team Pogba played in a team surrounded by quality.

So its all United’s fault, poor Pogba. That’s such a lame excuse tbh for someone who is supposedly a world class player. You should know what you’re getting from Pogba game to game despite some dross around him. I believe if you put KDB in at United he’d be consistently good at a minimum. Same goes for Silva or the likes of Yaya Toure.

KDB and Pogba are not in the same class.

1 Like