Alexandre Lacazette

I honestly don’t actually know. I think Laca is a lot better than he’s showing lately but also that him and Auba can’t actually play together and we should have signed Auba by himself when we bought Laca.

Probably closer to cursed than success but maybe Arteta can change that.

4 Likes

I might be wrong here but the Auba signing and timing of it was quite a reactive and opportunistic action due to his circumstance and fallout with BVB. I think as a club we defo deserve credit (not saying you didn’t) for how we wrapped that one up, especially as we were letting Alexis go at the same time.

Prior to that Auba had said plenty of times publicly he’d never want to join us whenever we’d been associated with him.

1 Like

Aubameyang’s relationship had broken down long before the summer of 2017, he was obtainable in the summer window. The reason why he didn’t leave earlier was because his market was cold.

Wenger didn’t pursue him because he wasn’t aggressive/ambitious enough until Jan until he was completely desperate to save his skin and we stupidly retained Alexis.

5 Likes

Ahhh cheers, fair enough. @Castiel you get a like then brother

1 Like

Did he actually say that? :sweat_smile::joy:

One time he came down an escalator some kid asked him if he was for joining Arsenal and he was like “no why would I.” He was clearly just hiding how thirsty he was to come play for us.

1 Like

Yeah but he’s not very good and definitely not 50m good but I guess when u persist with Giroud for as long as we did you have to placate the fans somehow. A terrible way of doing business regardless.

I’m a fucking visionary :joy::joy: looking in Calum’s direction on this one :grin::grin::+1::+1:

2 Likes

I think you’re arguing against something that doesn’t exist at this point… no one thinks he’s the answer, but we only have 2 strikers, and one is heading into his final contract year. If we sell Laca and then somehow can’t keep Auba, we have Eddie and Martinelli… we’d need to buy, probably 2 as I’m not convinced Eddie will be with us and I’m not sure If that is the right role for Gabby and we can’t possibly think putting him as our main striker is prudent next season.

Is Lacazette trying to emulate the Giroud 15/16 season scoring drought ? How many games since he last scored now ?

2 Likes

Having looked back over this thread I see I was underwhelmed with this signing. And I’m even more so now. Need to swap his effort for someone who can score goals. Giroud got slaughtered for not scoring enough goals despite working hard.

Yeh 7 games now. Has to go in summer, guy isn’t fit or doesn’t care or both.

I’d grab Mertens, give Martinelli the left role and let Auba have his natural position for the next couple of years.

I could understand us persisting with Lacs if he was all we had but when you have Auba it’s a no brainer what needs to be done.

1 Like

If Aubameyang accepts an extension.

Lacazette was just good today.

Don’t even know if he was even that. I didn’t see the whole match, but if I was rating everyone based on what I did see he’d probably get the lowest score.

2 Likes

Why? He made himself available for combinations (those combinations were the bases for the opportunities we had in the first half), he always offered an option for to the midfield to get rid of the ball. He wasn’t sloppy, his retention was decent. One of the things he did wrong was getting into scoring position that should have happened more often, sure. I don’t see how a ‘bad grade’ is deserved on the basis of his performance.

Good

Saka

Decent

Lacazette
Martinelli
Maitland-Niles
Xhaka
Luiz
Mustafi

Shit

Pepe
Torreira
Özil

2 Likes

It wouldn’t necessarily be a “bad” grade. I just felt he didn’t offer enough. He was supposed to be our main attacking threat, yet had one shot at goal.

Maybe I make the wrong conclusions based off the game and what I actually saw, but the idea seemed Lacazette had to drop back for one-two’s and either Martinelli (or Pepe) had to take his position over in front of the goal. Basically what had happened with the goal, Arsenal tried 3 or 4 times before it had success.

Was his performance perfect? Not at all. But I didn’t really see anything to be (very) critical for his performance today.

2 Likes

He’s just got piss poor movement in and around the area, he needs half a second longer on the ball than you get in the EPL to get a shot away.

Lacazette will never hit more than 15 league goals in a season in England.

Ding ding.

Lacazette wasn’t special today and we all agree he’s not the answer but he’s a weird person to pick out for abuse today, especially considering he made the key involvement for the goal.