You know what really grinds my gears?

It’s the same as when you go out to eat and the waiting staff always do some sort of check back when you’ve got your chops full of fucking food, bastards :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Usually happens to me when im reading a book. Total ignorance that.

I’m ok there, I’m in a job where office perception of what I do is that I’m flat out busy when it’s the total opposite. 85% of my job is reading books on my kindle. To others who walk past my screen - looks like any other pdf file I may read.

1 Like

Kinda like when you have your mouth full and someone talks to you. What is it with some people that they have nothing to say to you at all but as soon as you start watching a film or program or listening to anything that interests you and straight away verbal diahorrea…why do they insist on talking when you are trying to listen to something but never have anything to say otherwise. Surely they are doing it to take the piss?

2 Likes

This is why I used to hate eating lunch at my desk. If you’re at your desk then you’re seen as being available for work. And whoever interrupted would always say “sorry, am I disturbing your lunch?” In my head i’m like “You can damn well see you bloody are!” But the Britishness comes out and instead I say, “oh no, it’s fine” :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

This is why you go out to your car and eat lunch like a misanthropic loner.

12 Likes

Stupid question, but is there not a canteen or something for those who work in offices to go and eat lunch there instead? Or lack of time to go elsewhere and just easier to stick around by the desks? During a lunch break I’m not sure I’d wanna hang around the workspace for eating anyways.

1 Like

Yeah we had a canteen which I sometimes used, but if I was planning on going outside it was easier and quicker to eat the lunch i’d brought in at my desk beforehand rather than spend 3 hours waiting for one of the prehistoric lifts to take me to the top floor

I don’t even know where the canteen is and I’ve been there since August 2017 haha.

I just buy my lunch at Morrisons on the way there and eat it at my desk browsing my phone

In Sainsbury’s they have this orange juice labelled “never from concentrate”. Not just “not from concentrate”, but never from concentrate, as if it’s some kind of moral stand that we, the mighty Sainsbury’s, shall never stoop to the lows of producing such low grade shite from concentrate.

Except they stick it right next to their own brand “from concentrate” shit.

Fucks me off every single week.

9 Likes

Browsing your phone? In the workplace?

Fucking hell don’t get yourself fired mate.

4 Likes

No, you’re right, I actually do take my full hour out the office. It’s just that it feels more acceptable to browse the net for leisurely use if you’re eating your lunch at the time.

In truth it’s prob a psychological thing that nobody really cares about haha.

1 Like

Stick headphones in during lunch. 90% of the time not playing anything :hugs:

So glad I have an outdoors job and I’m not stuck eating lunch at a desk in corporate office day in day out.

4 Likes

Break times are generally just awkward with co-workers, unless you’re with someone you get on with or have things to talk about. Then it’s bloody awful when you’re stuck with someone you don’t know what to talk about and have to make the most pointless small talk, or hear them blittering on about stuff no one gives a damn about.

In general I can’t deal with small talk. Sure you got to make the odd polite conversation, but let’s keep it brief and move on. If there’s a large group of people and the general topics are boring or have no interest to me, after a while I’ll generally distreetly just dip out, go off and do something more interesting or productive.

5 Likes

We have it in our office, otherwise it would be hell, as our office is very small.

I hate small talk, so i’m glad i’ve been fortunate enough to have coworkers with whom i share a lot of similar interests, makes lunch breaks, after work drinks or just daily work more bearable/pleasant.

2 Likes

I’m lucky in that my team are actually good fun and quite young so talking them is really good.

It’s just the actual function that makes we want to kill my self, so it’s a good thing I’m moving team in a few weeks.

4 Likes

Same here, got a great team who I get on well with. Probably too well which lead to too many midweek hangovers.

Funny enough my colleague in my above post is a very close friend of mine, it’s just that trait about her I can’t take.

1 Like

I hate lunch time at my job. We are between 25-30 ppl there every day and most of the others bring left overs, or some packaged food from the shop, that they can heat up in the microwave oven. In other words a complete and warm meal. I mostly just bring a sandwich or something lighter, because we have lunch at 1 and then I go straight home at 5 to make/eat dinner. Two hot meals within 4-5 hours is to much for me. And every fucking time I sit down at the table I get comments like “is that all your gonna eat? How can you go a whole day without eating more?” Usually it’s followed by someone offering me some “real” food. Now I just go straight to the other room instead, a lounge with comfy arm chairs where we all end up sitting half asleep with our mobiles for the remainder of the break. Atleast I get 10 minutes of silence for myself without comments on my eating habits before the rest turn up.

Swedes are ridiculously obsessed about eating a sturdy lunch. It must be the English in me but I don’t need a full plate of steaming hot beef, potatoes and vegetables at noon each day. Just something light to keep me going. When I’m free I never even need lunch! My wife on the other hand turns into a monster if she doesn’t get a cooked meal at noon. On the rare occasion I do eat “real” food on my lunch I don’t need dinner later that day.

So I wish I could say “just stfu and eat your lunch! I’ve been working here for 8 years and I’m not dead yet so obviously I know what eating habits works for my body”.

8 Likes