You know what really grinds my gears?

Causes just as much accidents being too slow also. People seem to think that trawling along at a slow speed on the motorway or dual carriageway is somehow doing a service to people, it’s damn dangerous.

Nah, that’s not true.

apparently it has been found to be just as dangerous if not more so being too slow because you are not going with the flow and speeds on the road in question, people are expecting people to be going at or around the speed limit not dawdling along

This is my thread today.

These cunts bend me, especially when it’s back roads that are mainly A and B roads. I understand that Doris or Harold are old and aren’t as confident driving to the speed limit but how about fucking pulling over when there’s clearly a huge line of traffic behind you.

1 Like

Nah, not buying that it’s equally or more dangerous.

I definitely don’t expect to see slow moving cars on motorways but if I’m not driving like a knob myself then I’ll have enough time to react accordingly and if I’m on a one lane road then same story, I just won’t get where ever I am going as fast.

Slow driving in itself wouldn’t endanger me as another road user because I just adjust my own behaviour to one that leaves us both safe.

Slow driving is easily as dangerous as fast driving, if not more so!

This is from an RAC website…

A recent survey suggests that driving too slowly can be as dangerous to other road users as going too fast. Drivers who fail to respond to prevailing road conditions are accused of causing accidents, in the same way that speeding drivers do.

The survey concluded that there could be cause to introduce a minimum speed limit on faster roads, such as motorways and dual carriageways. Recent government regulations introduced to penalise so called ‘middle lane hoggers’ have gone some way towards encouraging motorists to drive to the prevailing conditions, but many of those fined fail to understand what they have done wrong and continue to believe that slower is safer, regardless of the circumstances.

Yea…

Seriously, tell me how other than if you’re not paying attention a slow driver is a danger? (That still wouldn’t be the fault of the slower driver by the way)

Because…and I really didn’t think that I would have to give out highway code tips on here, there is also a MINIMUM speed limit on the motorways………And driving too slowly is as big an issue as speeding, personally I don’t advocate either, just saying…

Lol

Contrary to popular belief, there is no minimum speed limit on motorways , although certain classes of slow vehicles (as well as those of any class that cannot maintain 25 mph on the level whilst unladen) are prohibited on safety grounds and drivers are expected to not cause unnecessary obstruction by driving unusually …

And you didn’t answer my question.

Sorry, because of the shamrock, I was thinking of Republic of Ireland, I assumed that’s where you’re from, I apologise………There is a minimum in RoI, and you are correct, not in England…To answer your question, slow drivers cause hold ups, and any car travelling too slowly is a hazard for other road users…

It some what reminds me of that really old Top Gear episode, where the trio all go on a caravaning holiday, and you just see the endless tailbacks caused :laughing: Of course, caravans on the road are another issue all together, they’re a bloomin pain too, but I just don’t know if people fail to spot when road speeds change or just aren’t that confident with driving.

Yes I am clearly from Ireland and I’m more than aware of the rules of the road here but it’s a predominantly English website so I made the leap that you weren’t actually talking about my country (because you weren’t).

I can deal with a hold up. I can avoid or move around a hazard (when it’s safe to do so). Neither of those are two things are actually dangerous.

What are these rules that they keep mentioning in tampon ads???

Break the rules, re-write the rules, don’t follow the rules…

How am I supposed to roller skate and dance in a sexy white dress if I don’t have a copy???

Infuriating.

3 Likes

I am not taking a position on what kind of driving constitutes more danger. I actually think that regardless of speed, lack of attention or concentration is the leading factor to most accidents, however no one can attest to that through factual evidence because the state of the driver’s mind cannot be recorded… yet.

However I am bemused that you disregard slow driving as a potential danger. Speed limits serve multiple purposes, one of which is unification. Road rules have a similiar effect, they aim to make everyone on the road behave in a similar way, so that drivers would suffer the least amount of distractions. In an environment where everything moves, anything that moves at a speed that is easily perceived as different will cause irritation, stress and anxiety, which in itself can cause a chain reaction of events and lead to accidents that the slow driver might not even be involved in.

2 Likes

I didn’t. I said it was not as dangerous.

You actually did, that’s why I replied.

No, I didn’t. I asked a question and the posts that went before that one are clearly relevant to that question.

The answers to those questions are not things I consider dangerous.

Well I am not a mind-reader but you clearly stated that the slow driver is not responsible if his driving causes you to do something because you weren’t paying attention or smth, and that slow driving is basically not a danger if the other participants in traffic pay attention.

Maybe you meant something different.

1 Like

Car sales men.

Looking for a car on auto trader for the missus, after much looking and ringing around finally found something that looked promising. Called said garage and after asking about the part of the advert that said about slight cosmetic scratch I asked what exactly it meant as it’s a two hour drive. Salesman said it was just light scratches to the front and rear bumper, asked him several times if this really was the case as was travelling a little distance with the intention of buying a car.

Arrive at showroom, said car is pulled around and immediately I can see the fucking thing is going to need a complete new rear bumper due to a massive crushed hole on the passenger side. Then there’s also the key mark down the drivers side, the front bumper needs repainting and is cracked so probably replacing, a dent in the drivers side door and then the inside, pet hair, food and cigarette butt’s.

All this after asking several times on the phone and being reaffirmed that the car was in extremely good condition.

Well fuck you pal, fuck you!

2 Likes

Feel for you, mate.

Car salemen, mechanics, plumbers and lawyers.

A heck of a lot of good faith is put into them to charge us a fair rate.