You know what really grinds my gears?

People who give it the big’un over the internet when in reality they’ve probably never been in a fight in their lives

1 Like

Try not to worry about it, Spanks. Honestly. Not worth it.

1 Like

This!

I went to Lyme Regis back last year, sat on the beach by myself, minding my own business with a crab sandwich and one of those flying cunts come down and had it out my fucking hand as I was about to chow down. Little twat had my finger in its mouth aswell and he drew blood too the little prick.

4 Likes

Worst I had this was Catalina Island in California.
Home of the rich and famous. Well feed the fucking flying vermin then.

Didn’t know you attended the Catalina Wine Mixer!

8 Likes

Musicians!! I have a small home studio and do mixing and mastering work for a few bands and local amateur artists. I do it basically for free too.
If they record their instruments at home (instead of here) I always ask for the raw clean digital signal for guitars, bass etc. and the raw track WITHOUT any effects.

But there’s always the idiot (mostly guitarists) who apply their effects and insist on just sending that track, because “that’s how I want it to sound”. They then complain if the guitar isn’t clear enough in the mix :facepalm: How many times do I have to explain how the balance of EQ works between different instruments?! Of course they’re muddy when they’re in the same range of the drums and bass. And there’s little or nothing I can do about it!

7 Likes

It’s so annoying when people at work don’t follow the brief or specific instructions you’ve set, as if you don’t have good reasons for asking for something specific lol.

Perhaps you could invite them to send two recordings over instead of one? A clean version which is needed for the mix and then a second version with their effects etc included to give you a sense of the end result they’re hoping for. That might increase the amount of clean recordings they send first time of asking and then you can choose whether or not to even bother to listen to the second version they send, depending on whether or not you deem it necessary to getting the job done (I suspect the answer would be “not”)

It sounds like you’re forever having to explain things to people, perhaps changing the ask slightly might save you having to waste your time explaining the balance of EQ etc. Not only is that time wasted, it must be infuriating as fuck constantly having to have the same conversation with different people haha.

3 Likes

Exactly! I break it down very easy for them as well. I have tried asking for two, because as you say I do need a reference track, but some just won’t go that extra distance. And don’t get me wrong, most people thankfully just do as you ask them. But some think their sound is so “unique” that they just want me to import it straight into the mix :triumph: It sounds good on its own, but not if more instruments and sounds are occupying the same frequencies.
I mean I’m doing this for little or no money, building up clients and learning new stuff, at least have the curtesy to help out on your end.
But basically I blame myself trying to explain. I should be more ruthless, just say “do this or I’m not doing anything”. :joy:

2 Likes

Be realistic man- guitarists aren’t going to buy a DI box when they absolutely need another £300 reverb!!
Seriously though, I think you should insist on a dry track- It’s not your job to be teaching muppets the fundamentals. Maybe it would help if you explain that a clean track would reduce eq and mixing time therefore saving them money.

1 Like

Shitty tv adverts .

2 Likes

True haha.

it’s the cringey ones I don’t like, the ones where they try and get people to come of as relatable but just fail miserably

real people don’t say that in a conversation

1 Like

Im not really a minimalist but I’m also basically attached to nothing and move things on as soon as thier purpose is served. I also am not one for pictures, souvenirs or general tat. So basically the complete opposite of the other half. It’s ten years later and the house is absolutely filled with tat, not like in one of those hoarder shows but just shelves and tables filled with rubbish. Moving anything on is a complete rigmarole and there must be now close to 2000 books in the house, less than 50 are mine. It’s driving me a bit mad…

4 Likes

That does not spark joy. I’m completely the same though, I place value on organisation, free space and awareness of where things I need are. Everyone else seems to place value on shit knick knacks that just get in the way anytime you want to read, exercise, cook, study, work etc.

2 Likes

I basically haven’t seen my kitchen table since covid began between it now being a workspace + all the “paperwork” that goes with that :xhaka:

1 Like

I feel like everyone gets to the point in life where they realize Papa Roach were right and possessions actually own the person. By that point the mild hoarding has gotten too bad and there’s very little to do other than sit in your misery while you go insane looking for your car keys.

I’m looking to move at the moment and I’m really after something low maintenance with smart space and just very little upkeep in terms of keeping organized.

I genuinely believe the key to happiness is based in simplicity of life.

2 Likes

Someone at sometime will introduce you to the storage box.
These things are supposed to be a one size fits all and they also stack.
The problem is the hoarder just piles everything in and buy more of them till you run out of room to stack.
She has 8 of these things and there’s still crap everywhere.

3 Likes

Yeh those things are the devil, if it’s going into a storage box the reality is it’s next stop will probably be the dump after a five year stay of execution in those giant tuppawear motherfuckers

2 Likes

Like anything that goes in the loft. If it’s in their you don’t need it.

2 Likes

Using this principle, I’ve often wondered just how much happier I’d be without a smartphone

3 Likes