You know what really grinds my gears?

Yeah, I have had the occasional bemused look the past few years when I’ve given a tenner to someone selling poppies but said I’m OK without taking a poppy to wear.

Happy to support the good work they do but not that keen on the poppy as a symbol these days, and you’ve done a good job of articulating the same reasons I have.

2 Likes

This interview really says it all

19 Likes

Christ. That is amazing. Belongs in a classroom.

6 Likes

Thanks for posting that mate. Never seen it before was a truly excellent watch.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s truly incredible, very touching. Saw it for the first time the other day and couldn’t believe i hadn’t seen it before.

Glad you guys enjoyed it.

5 Likes

Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Very touching. I saw something similar a while back, but it was an American soldier who fought in the Gulf War. He spoke about touring the country and speaking to high school kids, telling the “real” truth about being in a war zone. He said many counties didn’t want him talking in their schools. Stuff like this should be shown and talked about in every class all over the world. War is nothing like a video game or to be taken lightly.

1 Like

I love that even the interviewer knows he has captured something incredible there. He must have had goosebumps in the moment.

3 Likes

Cunts setting fireworks off. The stupid banging noise happening every 5 minutes. I never understood why people want to buy some for their shitty garden. No one cares unless its a council display in the park where its actually decent

3 Likes

And even then, most people still don’t care.

1 Like

Tbf the one in my local park on the Saturday night closest to it is a decent social occasion excuse :joy:

When its not cancelled because of the weather haha (or in the case this year a pandemic) its walk over to that then the pubs for a night out. :sob:

I think it’s probably fun setting one off and then bragging to your kids ‘look what daddy did’. The one time in a day you get to be a hero

Bonfire night >>>>>

Good old British holiday. None of that American nonsense.

3 Likes

If only it was just the one firework, mate :pensive:

2 Likes

@Cristo I think that’s from a 1964 series called ‘The Great War’. A great watch in itself, from real life accounts from soldiers, some of whom fought in both wars.

I’m fascinated at how the German soldier put his story across so eloquently, concisely and poignantly when English isn’t even his first language.

3 Likes

What’s that? I know in places like Michigan they have devils night where they burn abandoned and derelict homes.

Guy Fawkes night or bonfire night is where we light up fireworks display to commemorate the foiled plot of Guy Fawkes when he tried to blow up the houses of parliament.

1 Like

Fascinating. Is it celebrating his plot being foiled or the attempt?

The plot being foiled I think.

Ah I thought it had sectarian overtones.

1 Like

Yeah they burn guy fawkes no? It’s funny how he’s become the face of anonymous.