You know what really grinds my gears?

Oh ok, I thought it was some kind of fucked up lottery haha

4 Likes

Haha, that would be bananas. Nah I guess they just do it to cut out time wasters and so they can then ship instantly once they’ve decided who the lucky ones are.

They do something like that for the London Marathon actually. When you enter the ballot you pay your £50 up front and have to choose between receiving a refund if you’re unsuccessful (which most people are) or if you let them keep the money, you get entered into an extra ballot so have more chance of getting a place.

Maybe they should do that for the trainers. “Give us £20 and we’ll throw your name in the hat twice” :smile:

1 Like

Fucking hell, Jakey’s coming across as the Imelda Marcos of trainers. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is the hunter gatherer in you

My mum came to stay at the weekend and she brought her own mug with her. I was left speechless by the audacity of it.

This is supposedly because every time she has tea at my house she’s always left “wanting a bit more tea”. I then showed her an array of mugs of different sizes ranging from average mug to jumbo XXL mug which you can clearly see if you spent more than 3 seconds looking in my mug cupboard, but apparently all of those were the wrong shape or the lip was too wide and not as good as this fucking mug.

Also worth noting that she bought us at least 4 of these mugs that are supposedly shit, but now I’m meant to find space in my already overflowing cupboard for this above average footprint mug.

13 Likes

My mum does this. She brings her own tea bags too because I apparently I don’t always buy the “right” ones.

So your mum needs to bring her own tea because your tea is that bad?

Tbh we do this in reverse when we visit my mum. She doesn’t drink coffee and gets some rancid stuff.
She has nice china mugs but there not big enough for us. Plus my wife drinks that oat milk stuff and takes that as well. Tbf we eat her cakes willingly though

4 Likes

That youtube app stops playing when you minimize it on mobile

3 Likes

Enjoying this feature I didn’t have on my old phone

You could watch your PPV on that.

Working in customer services when one of the channels you manage in addition to phone lines and emails is social media.

Entitled, ignorant arseholes as far as the eye can see.

A woman starts demanding we explain what we do with our money in quite hostile tones, to which we respond concisely and offer a link to the relevant page on our website which offers the kind of detail we can’t give on social media. She comes back to say it’s a template response (it wasn’t, I reviewed the reply for the person who wrote it before it was posted) and that she deserved better, and that she wasn’t going to “give our website any more clicks!!”

1. If you really want your answer in more detail, go to the fucking website.
  2. We don’t run adverts on our site, so we don’t really give a fuck whether you visit the linked page or not, you’re not taking a meaningful stand here in refusing to visit pal.

Another highlight today was someone saying that they were interested in signing one up for one of our fundraising events but that they were filling out the form and were appalled to see that we asked for date of birth and an address, and that this was a breach of data protection.

This didn’t even grind my gears, one of my favourite customer service tropes is people who fling about “data protection/GDPR” when they haven’t got a fucking clue what they’re on about and haven’t got a leg to stand on. I think they think we shite ourselves at the mere mention of GDPR lol

2 Likes

The amount of my life I have wasted having GDPR discussions (and I mean with colleagues, not even the public) upsets me greatly.

If I don’t want to give my address i sometimes just put 123 Fake St.

2 Likes

GDPR is so misused it’s terrible though. A friend works as a mechanic and I dropped by today so he could change to winter tyres. Before GDPR I was allowed into the workshop and wait. This time I had to wait outside in the rain. Why? Well apparently it’s a breach of privacy, because I can see what other cars they are working on :man_shrugging: So what if I see my neighbours car in there? What am I to do with that information? Sell it to Russia?
Another garage was facing heavy fines for letting costumers into the workshop. Ridiculous.

6 Likes

Wow. That’s the best one I have heard yet. At least my discussions generally involve personal information of some description

4 Likes

I just had to take a course and quiz on GDPR. Funny that.

Not allowing folks into a repair shop here is more of a safety thing. No proprietor wants you wandering around with cars moving about, hoists operating, floor jacks, cables, etc., that you might trip over and end up suing him.

No mechanic wants people poking about asking dumb questions while he’s diagnosing and fixing your car on which you’ve probably been ignoring maintenance anyway.

2 Likes

I’m not wearing a poppy this year. I have every year but I’ve become increasingly distant from the concept for a few reasons.

1. I’m uncomfortable with the glorification of World War One especially in national consciousness. It was not a national existential struggle as popular history makes it out to be. It was a slaughter of young men on all sides who had more in common with each other than the men who sent them there to kill each other. Poppies perpetuate a portrayal of this war as a heroic war of national defence which is wholly inaccurate and exploits the deaths of soldiers on all sides just as their lives were exploited during the war.

2. My grandfather was in the Royal Artillery. In 1941 he was captured by the Japanese in Hong Kong after the British army suffered one of the most shameful defeats in its history, it’s generals outmanoeuvred in their arrogance to the point that they surrendered thousands upon thousands of men with almost no resistance to in many cases their deaths at the hands of the Japanese Empire and in many other cases like my grandfather years of brutal imprisonment. My grandfather lost years and years of his life because of that time, my grandmother had to live the last decades of her life without him because of it. The government and establishment would use poppies to portray him as having made a “sacrifice” for his country but he didn’t sacrifice for his country, his country sacrificed him.

3. Increasingly, poppies seem to have become more some kind of requirement than a voluntary sign of respect and it seems like they need to be worn to satiate those who interpret history in a very set, very narrow way and use it to justify an equally narrow world view. Public criticism of those who don’t wear them seems to be entirely ignorant of the very concept of freedom to choose and to express oneself that the wars fought in our name are allegedly about. I choose not to participate.

It must be said I have no issue with the Royal Legion or its many worthy causes which is why I will be making a £10 donation as I do each year when I buy poppies. Nor do I seek to criticise anyone else for choosing to do differently to me.

15 Likes

I’ve never worm one tbh. Don’t see a need and union jack twitter have completely took away its meaning now anyway.