Work/life balance

Yeah pretty standard for everyone at the firm, other departments regularly pull 12-16 hour days lol

I live in Fulham so I’m only about a 30 minute commute each way which isn’t too bad.

But yeah I only have about 2-3 hours in the evening with my girlfriend which can be a bit rough. I really enjoy my weekends now haha

How the fuck does someone work 16 hours, commute to and from work and still get a decent night’s sleep? Let alone anything other than work or sleep.

Sorry but no money convinces me to do that, their quality of life is surely fucking zero.

5 Likes

100 % this, life is way to fucking short to be spending 16 hours a day at work…

1 Like

Yeah it’s crazy but when you’re 21 getting paid £65,000 a year base salary and getting a £150,000 bonus it probably makes up for it a little bit and after a few years of that you’re in a pretty good place financially.

The hours get better as you get more senior as well (as does the money), and most of these guys retire by the time they’re in their 40s unless they just love it too much in which case they’re the guys that end up running the place.

When I leave at 7:30pm in the evening those poor bastards are in the lobby waiting for their deliveroo for their dinner. They literally eat all 3 meals at the office.

I have a friend who works for a US law firm and she regularly finishes work at 2-3am having started at 10am lol

Everyday as she leaves the office she posts a pic with the time on it before she leaves work.

She clears a lot of money, but it’s not worth it. Not by a long shot could anybody convince me to work more than 8 hours a day. I value my own time and my own life too much.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s the only way you can justify it, if it helps you retire by the time your in your early 40s… still not sure it would be for me, you can get struck down with serious illness at any time.

True, but then retiring with money is much more enviable to retiring without money.

1 Like

I can’t recall an occasion where I’ve sunk two in the same day.

Although I’m clocking in one at about fifteen minutes these days so I guess it evens out at the end of the season.

7 Likes

I was pissed in the pub a few weeks ago and raving about starting an app specifically designed for people to log (badum-tsch) the exact amount of time spent shitting at work, with it then letting you input your wages before calculating how much you’ve been paid to shit. Genuinely convinced it’d be four stars plus rated on the app store and heavily downloaded lol.

I’ve never gone as far as your ex colleague, but I genuinely take immense satisfaction in every second spend shitting at work on the organisation’s dime.

2 Likes

Say patent pending before someone steals your idea!

PATENT PENDING.

I’ve often thought it’d be really hard to monetise it (because I first thought this up fucking years ago), but that’s not even the point, if I had the technical knowhow I’d do it for the sheer satisfaction.

Jesus that is ridiculous money for anyone let alone a recent graduate. I think I’d be prepared to sleep in the office over night for a base salary + bonus that high

Yeah and that’s for being a grunt doing all the leg work.

After several years you’re easily pulling in £1m+ base and several million bonus.

If I had the maths skills for that, fuck yeah I’d do it.

Someone I used to work with used to actually use it.

I imagine he was probably dropping over £2k of logs per annum.

5 Likes

It’s crazy money haha. Honestly strong maths skills take you so far in life, it’s not something you appreciate until you leave school

1 Like

Unlucky Jake.

So true.

Honestly, all the best paid jobs are all about being a maths whizz.

I just don’t have that type of brain at all, so it was never for me, but if I could choose one subject to really excel at while keeping the personality traits I have now it would be maths.

With really good maths skills and the right personality it’ll take you right to the top.

2 Likes

What job is this?! or type of work at least? Insane.

I’d be content at earning £65K a year without the bonus haha.

2 Likes

Investment Banker.

So if you’re one of the guys that works on mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings and corporate financing and crunches the numbers.

The other role that is the same but has better hours are the Traders.

They’ll work 12-13 hour days but make crazy money because it’s higher pressure over a shorter time period.

IB guys will have projects where the deadlines are like 3, 6m or 12m but the traders deadlines will be daily if not hourly.

1 Like

True. And I am good at Math so it bothers me that I didn’t pursue it.
I wish someone told me back then how beneficial it would have been to pursue Masters in it.