Where will we finish 2019/20?

I think you are overrating the rest of league.

I think your overating Freddie and this squad tbh.
Itā€™s shown nothing all season.

I am not rating Freddie at all, but our squad is way underperforming quality. Anyone can do better than this bum.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got a busted squad here though who are not renowned for fighting adversity.
A squad who donā€™t know how to absorb or defend.
A captain who will be looking to his future maybe as early as January.
Bellerin and Holding who we wanted back who frankly look poor now.
Sorry even with an improvement in Pepe I donā€™t rate us.

Heading towards a relegation battle if Emery stays in charge.

6th place is 18 points right now - we are on that. That is on pace for 53 pointsā€¦

We got 70 points last year and we have an improved squadā€¦ Bellerin will play more games than last year. Chambers and Holding are back for more games (it helps keep Moose out)ā€¦ Xhaka is no longer key player (improvement). Pepe has been really poor, but is depth option, along with Nelson and Saka.

Tierney is an upgradeā€¦ looks like Leno has settled into being a very decent keeper for us. And we still have one awesome scorer and a decent back-up in Laca.

3 years before this the average for 6th was 66 points. The average for 7th was around 57. There is a pretty big fall-off in general from 6th to 7th - it just works that way after 38 games.

I donā€™t think 53 points is going to be sufficient for 6th, but that is what the math is atmā€¦ 6th place may move up depending on what happens with Utd and SHU tomorrow (could be 56 points), only slightly above our current pace. And worst case, we are one point out of 6th, despite having a tragically bad start to seasonā€¦ I donā€™t know how many years you have to go back to find an Arsenal season finishing below 60 pointsā€¦

The league is kind of sh*t other than Pool and City, with a nice second tier of Chelsea and LC.

I would not bet on Burnley or Wolves or SHU, or Bournemouth finishing above usā€¦ could I see one or both of Utd and Spurs doing it? Sure, but they both have massive problems too, so I split the difference and project out 6th.

Iā€™m not discounting the possibility of us falling out of top half completely, but I just donā€™t see the odds of that being very highā€¦ 6th is most likely, then 7th, then perhaps 8th and 5th closeā€¦ sad thing is, I do believe the chances of 7th are higher than 5th.

The award for the best prediction in this category goes toā€¦

We are not heading towards relegation battle lolā€¦ what are the odds even on us falling out of top 7? Extremely, extremely lowā€¦ not because we or Emery arenā€™t sht, but because the teams below that are even more sht.

Iā€™ll say 7th.

When was the last season we finished outside the top 6? @Stroller @DavidHillier

94/95

(But we had valid excuses that season)

1 Like

What was that? :slightly_smiling_face:

Weā€™d lost our best ever manager as heā€™d been scapegoated for taking bungs, we had a CWC run (a fantastic run) that distracted us in the league and as a result, we lost a heck of a lot of games in the PL.

The only London club we ended above was Chelsea.

To give you an example, Leicester City had a solitary season in the PL that season before getting relegated again. Everyone beat them. They took 4 points off us.

3 Likes

94/95 was completely dire domestically and the idea that weā€™re dropping back to that sort of level (I donā€™t think we are realistically) is incredible.

Peak Gazetta Football Italia and James Richardson era tho, weā€™ll never get that back :frowning:

If Emery stays, weā€™ll finish 9th-10th

1 Like

The problem is, if our form continues, the teams below us will get fewer and any big club below us will either get themselves together, like Solksjaer seems to be doing, or get a new manager like spurs have.

I thought we would have started to see results getting better, as well as our performances but, if anything, weā€™re actually getting worse.

If we donā€™t change Emery we could easily finish bottom half.

2 Likes

Exactly and itā€™s not just the results, the performances are getting worse and worse to the point that we are getting bullied by every team at home, I have never in my 25+ years as an Arsenal fan seen us play this badly consecutively, itā€™s actually an all time low.

We need to win at least 18 of our next 25 games to even stand a chance of getting into the top 4, but if we continue the way we are we will struggle to stay out of the bottom half!

2 Likes

Exactly.
I remember when Wenger would go on a poor run of either a few losses or not winning and we might not have got the points but we were never this bad and certainly very rarely outplayed.

Relegation teams are coming to the Emirates, having more shots, more possession, outplaying us and taking points off us, and worse than that, they often deserve to get more.

Iā€™ve never seen anything like this at the club before and Iā€™m going back to the seventies.
To be outplayed, in almost every game this season, is unacceptable to any Arsenal supporter.

Unfortunately, the decision makers, who are the only people who can do anything about it, are not Arsenal supporters.

4 Likes

Even if we sacked Emery in the short-term future, 18 wins from 25 games is a tough ask for any new manager coming in. Even Pep took a year to get City up to speed and in league contention. Whatā€™s to say even a proven manager like Allegri will get us those results immediately?

Winning is becoming something Arsenal arenā€™t good at (for a top club). Even before Emery we were in a position of also-rans, always being a player or 2 away even when the top guys were at their worst and always bottling our big chances. For years we were a team of talent that struggled to win and break teams down in the big moment or when it really mattered.

There are so many examples and over time, these become what defines the club to some degree.

Think 2007-08 league race and the Birmingham game and subsequent capitulation. The Eduardo injury should have galvanised us (well, a club with some guts anyway), but we bottled and conceded an equaliser (a fucking pen too obviously).

Think Birmingham again (the cunts) in the League Cup final at a time when we needed to win something to develop that sense of success again at the club. And we failed.

And donā€™t forget when Leicester won the league. Fucking Leicester. We should have taken advantage that season and even more so considering we beat Leicester home and away.

Those are just 3 major examples, but there were so many more individual games where we just didnā€™t show up or bottled under the same pressure over and over again.

8 Likes

Bloody hell, youā€™re on fire today

2 Likes

Itā€™s easy when youā€™ve been getting up at an average time of 3am for at least 15 years to watch these useless cunts play lol

6 Likes