Where will we finish 2018/19?

I said sixth at the start of the season and still think that but Emery has had to take over from a manager that also finished in the same position.

Wenger built this team and in recent seasons we had seen a culture of complacency, as well as a lack of cohesion and organisation, for which he is responsible.
He also left Emery with the worst defence I have seen at Arsenal, both in terms of personnel and organisation.
Emery looks to have changed that and we are starting to see us play with a bit more urgency and decisiveness going forward, even if the defending is just as bad.

We have already won more away games than we did all of last season and we look more direct and far better on the counter attack than we were in previous seasons.

As long as he is given the money to strengthen the defence how he wants, and get equivalent replacements for players like Ramsey and possibly Ozil, if he leaves, then we can really see what Emery can do.

If he canā€™t sort out the defence then we certainly shouldnā€™t give him the luxury of several seasons of mediocrity, like the board did with Wenger, otherwise it will see us fall even further behind all our rivals, which really is totally unacceptable.

1 Like

Just thought Iā€™d clarify weā€™ve currently won the same amount of away games as we did last season.

United have tough games soon, Chelsea are much better than us now they have a real striker. 5th it is. Europa is make or break tbh. If thereā€™s one thing Unaiā€™s good at itā€™s the Europa league

Just because Fatty scored a brace against Huddersfield?

1 Like

Fatty can still finish but doubt he gets that space all the time.

1 Like

He looked like he had been playing with Hazard for a season. He is a good footballer and will definitely help them. It was the worst team in the league thoughā€¦

1 Like

So what? Weā€™ve got 7 away games left which means weā€™re almost certain to exceed our away game record of last season.

1 Like

I was just clearing a fact, 4 away wins currently doesnā€™t eclipse last seasons tally, it equals it at this point in time.

Pretty good odds we beat that and our points total from last seasonā€¦ andā€¦ so f*ing what?

2 Likes

Yeah we should eclipse it by around 7 points or so which is the slight positive on the season even if I donā€™t think our performances are any better.

It must be said weā€™ve performed worse in both domestic cups though, it also remains to be seen if we match last seasons Europa SF.

United are better than Forest. No matter how bad things get now, we have one huge thing to hold onto now. All managers from now on are answerable and will get judged quicker than before.

At this stage results arenā€™t too important to me. I donā€™t care if we win or lose more away games than last season or if we eclipse our last points tally. I just want to see some kind of improvement in performance, some kind of plan. Obviously itā€™s great to win games, but first and foremost for Emeryā€™s first season I wanted to see some kind of philosophy implemented and so far iā€™ve seen nothing to suggest one is being established.

I voted 4th in the poll, but not optimistic about that at all now.

2 Likes

But itā€™s an absolutely useless fact because weā€™ve still got over a third of our away games left to play.

Yeah well we will probably elclipse last years away wins tally by about 2, which was nearly impossible not to do, so not sure how much credit Unai should get for that.

But youā€™re using our away record this season as a stick to beat him with but by the same token youā€™re not allowing him any credit if he eclipses last seasons away record.

So in other words heā€™s essentially doomed to criticism no matter the outcome.

If he has us challenging for the league in 2 years heā€™s not doomed, Iā€™ll be the first to put my hand up and say I was wrong I promise people that.

Tipping heā€™s out the door at the end of the next season though, as I donā€™t think heā€™ll be afforded the same leniency as Wenger as no sentimental value with the club given no past achievements.

Our lack of game style and the way we want to play with no identity I think is a massive indication of where this is headed, donā€™t care itā€™s only 6 months in, some of these things should be noticeable by now.

So who should get credits for?

No one should be getting credit for winning one third of our away games thatā€™s my point, it was nigh on impossible to not improve on 4 away wins donā€™t you think ?

Pretty much agree with this but I think we are also coming to grips with the gulf in class in terms of squad quality we faceā€¦ to me if we can at least show progressively more functional pressing for rest of season, that would be good start.

I think we will finish 6th because we have the quality over teams below that and they allow us time in the ball. If we are able to up a consistent tempo then we could make 4th but Iā€™m not sure this is the season for that leap.