What's the last video game you played?

Yeh especially niche asymmetrical multilayers, Friday the 13th was an amazing one in the same vein but died out really quick because the small production company seemed to run out of interest/money.

I agree about the connection times takes me about 5 minutes to get into a game which is crazy because there’s probably never been more people playing.

Been enjoying Far Cry 6 on PS5. Graphics aren’t sensational or anything but the gameplay is satisfying and a decent story.

1 Like

I’m loving Far Cry 6. I am a bit of a FC fanboy and do like my open world games.

2 Likes

Decent Xbox Game Pass offer. 3 Months Game Pass for €1. Means you can play titles like Age of Empires IV for 3 months.

And many other titles.

Finished the first Uncharted game the other weekend. I’ve got the Remastered edition, but obviously that only makes the graphics a little better, the game itself felt still felt pretty dated and a bit of a chore to get through.

Can I expect the games to get much better? I’ve always wanted to play the Uncharted games as I enjoyed the rebooted Tomb Raider series, which people always said was heavily influenced by Uncharted. I wanted to play the first 2 before getting into 3 and 4, should I bother or skip ahead to 3? Or 4? Or just sack it off?

@Castiel you’ll be pleased to hear I’ve started on The Last of Us. Mildly frustrated at how rarely I can pick up guns or ammo from fallen enemies despite them clearly possessing guns and ammo before I killed them lol, but I guess that’s part and parcel of the experience, so not a major gripe. Definitely found it to be compelling and gripping from the start though, glad it’s almost the weekend and I can get some solid hours in.

Uncharted as a chore is how I would describe playing the first one late. I have to say I did think the 2nd was a lot more impressive, I skipped the third though and I’ll probably play 4 some day but overall it’s a nice franchise but nothing spectacular to me.

I’m playing TLOU2 on psNow ATM, it’s good but not quite the masterpiece of the first. TLOU is one of the best games ever made with the most engrossing character development I’ve ever seen. Not to mention the combat is so fluid and truely feels like a gritty scrap for survival. As a survival horror you’re going to fall into the limited ammo trap of the genre, but as a hitman fan you shouldn’t struggle as stealth kills are the key. It’s also a game I suggest playing on the harder difficulties to really capture the essence of the environment, the balance is still good though and one of the few games I find enjoyable on very hard and hard rather than just cheap one shot bullshit.

Also my final piece of advice is utilize the brick, never should you feel more confident than when you have a brick in your hands, ammo is for cucks. Either bounce it off your opponents head or just flat out cave their skull in with it, either way it’s beyond efficient and satisfying.

3 Likes

Yeah, tbh I think I want the security and comfort of having more than six fucking bullets just in case I need em, more than I want to actually use the bullets. Like you say, I love Hitman, so my default preference would be to complete a level without shooting a single person, if possible.

Funnily enough, I did a quick bit of googling before firing it up to see what the consensus was on the best difficulty to play on and I took similar advice to what you’ve said, that it’s best to play on a harder difficulty owing to the kind of game that it is, that such a grim survival focused game shouldn’t be a walk in the park. I went for Hard, as I don’t want it to be too punishing, and I like to leave a harder difficulty to spice up a second play through. This strikes me as the kind of game I’ll be returning to a couple more times over the next few years, I replay most games that I love.

Agree on the character development, even based on the limited amount I’ve seen so far. Very engrossing, can only imagine the storytelling gets even more noteworthy as I get into the meat of the game.

3 Likes

Uncharted 2 on PS3 was absolutely phenomenal at the time. Perhaps its not aged well but I fucking loved that game when it came out. The quality of the voice acting really stood out, really immersive. The puzzle element to it also appealed to me but that’s not for everybody.

Funnily enough I also have 3 and 4 but am yet to actually play them.

2 Likes

2 still holds up, 3 is fine too but is a lot weaker than 2. 4 is good, tries to add some stuff to the game to make it less repetitive, both in gameplay and in the story.

Honestly the weakest part of all the games is the shooting, guns are meh and most of the time you are just using whatever you found, enemies are bullet sponges and arenas are obvious.

1 Like

6 bullets, fucking Mr ammo millionaire over here, just wait till your fighting an army with a broken baseball bat, 1 arrow and a beer bottle.

You’ve made the right call with hard, it’s right on the sweet spot to be challenging enough to engage without being overly brutal and frustrating. I’m glad you’re enjoying it, I played it quite late myself as I never had the ps3 so when I got the PS4 it was a must buy. It’s one of those games where it had so much hype I kind of though I’d not buy into it as much but it really did speak to me and the genre I love, whereas something like Uncharted is good but I can’t say I was fanatical about it, I probably enjoy Lara Croft’s world more, or even Far Cry 3 if I’m thinking of an adventure game great.

TLOU really is a modern masterpiece and one of the few games I’ve played multiple times in my life, I’ve always been a lover of a tightly woven narrative over large open world dynamics. So many modern games think of the story telling as an afterthought.

6 Likes

I found Uncharted 1 such a slog that I kicked the difficulty down to Easy just so I could breeze through it more quickly. I figured that the first game ina franchise often isn’t perfect and that the sequels really step things up, so I wanted to finish the game for the storyline before moving onto the follow ups.

I don’t mind older games at all, it’s not even that. I just grabbed the Far Cry 3 platinum trophy a few months ago despite having played it through several times already on the 360 yonks ago. I could play Portal through several times a year and never tire of it. At some point I’ll go through Arkham Asylum all over again.

But I felt like Uncharted hasn’t aged all that well in comparison to some of those games. Don’t doubt that I’d have thought it was incredible and love it back then though. Maybe it doesn’t help that I played all 3 new Tomb Raider games first, and because of that this perhaps feels like a poor relation, when the general consensus from what I’ve seen seems to be that it’s the other way round.

I’ll give 2 a go at some point as it sounds like it’s better than 1. I have got the original trilogy remastered but I dont think I’ll be playing through 3 if I don’t get on with 2, there has to be a point where a line is drawn and I stop dumping hours into a game I don’t like all that much lol.

2 Likes

:joy:

Bruh I felt like that when I first played it back in Xmas of 2007 :joy::rofl: it was like one of the first big new gen exclusives. I remember being blown away by the graphics on my new at the time cutting edge 1080p HD TV. My cousin and friend stayed at mine whilst we played through the game, started off amazing then for me it started to take hit when they went the Nazi Zombie route the game turned from an exciting adventure game that was kind of realistic into something else. Felt like a breeze going through the first 40-60% of the game, the rest felt like chore. It was never ending. So much so it put me off playing any other uncharted games for a while, and all three of us took turns to play to finish it as quickly as possible so we could all go back to playing COD. So can’t imagine what it would be like playing it 14 years later :joy:

2 Likes

Luckily I’ll heard about the bizarre turn into supernatural nonsense and how it was really jarring and didn’t fit the game at all, so it didn’t catch me unawares.

If I hadn’t heard and came across that in the course of playing through the game I’d have been like “honestly what the fuck is this” lol

1 Like

Haha and that’s nearly quote for quote exactly what I said at the time.:joy::rofl:

1 Like

Also, I bought a Switch last night. Spent the past year and a half not buying one because it feels a bit mad to dump further cash into yet another last gen console, but colleagues at work were really generous and held a whip round to get me a wedding gift. Ended up getting £170 on an amazon voucher so felt I could justify the frivolous expenditure.

Obvs in time I’ll get Breath of the Wild, Metroid Dread, Mario Kart 8 etc. But I’d love some recommendations from Switch owners for any good indie games (don’t have to be indie tbf, I’m just looking for non triple A games I guess) on the Nintendo Store, particularly games designed for two people to play using those silly little joy cons :grin:

2 Likes

My brother bought a switch and even though he was never really a gamer, swears by it. He travels a lot, and whenever he comes to stay or when we abroad for work he will pull it out.

Nintendo IPs are some of the best, and I remember him telling me how BOW is probably one of the greatest games he’s ever played. Honestly I think if you going to use it, it’s a top buy.

1 Like

I genuinely love me an open world game, but it tends to come with plot being at least somewhat sacrificed. Pacing is apparently near impossible to achieve in open world games. My main story mission will be some sort of high stakes “save your buddy from captivity ASAP before the mad General executes him”, and then I spend the next four hours of gameplay and thirty in world days collecting some stupid shit to unlock a different suit/armour/skin for my character. Any sense of urgency is inevitably lost cos I’ve probably forgotten what the next main mission even is at that point.

One of the only interesting things Far Cry 5 did was have progression in the story tied to overall progression in the game. It kind of worked like this, in principle if not in detail: when you’d done 30% (made up percentage) of activities/missions/side quests/collectibles in the game it’d trigger the first boss, 60% triggers the second boss and then after that you get the final religious fundamentalist, hipster, vegan, top bun sporting, let’s try to offend neither the left or right if the American political spectrum boss and its game over.

That way the story line kind of moved along at a set pace even if you’d spent ages fucking about in the open world not focusing on the main story. I haven’t noticed another open world game operate like this tbf to Ubisoft. And they’re actually the Kings of churning out open world games packed to the rafters with pointless collectibles and repetitive side quests where you have to climb towers of buildings to gradually reveal the map.

Not that I can knock them, as I have bought like 90% of the millions of Assassins Creed and Far Cry Games they’ve churned out lol

1 Like

I’ve never been into handheld consoles but switches are actually pretty awesome. My younger sister has one and it was the first time I’d ever used one.

Whenever I go visit I just ignore her and play Crash Bandicoot or Spyro on the switch.

It’s also cool that you can plug it into the TV.

5 Likes

Currently playing Forza 5 looks fantastic on ultra settings

1 Like