What was the last film you watched?

To Live and Die in LA.

It’s weird seeing a young Willem Dafoe. Loved the soundtrack too.

I always get confused between that and the Andy Garcia one: Things to do in Denver when you’re dead

1 Like

Ohh, not seen that. Any good?

I’m going through a bit of a nostalgic phase and films from the 80’s/90’s seem to be scratching the itch for me.

1 Like

It was OK. Moved along at a decent pace.

There are a few hidden gems from that era. Black Rain with Michael Douglas is one I think you might like.

1 Like

The Menu - Loved it, massive two fingers up to the high end dining world, been there done that so relatable but so fucking satiracle. Favourite scene when the did gets his course handed to him through the chicken coup window :rofl::rofl:

Devotion - I love a historical film, this one in particular I really liked, a story about Jesse Brown, the first black pilot in the US Navy during the Korean war, based on a true story, obviously adapted for the screen. Some great scenes, some beautiful aircraft and most importantly quite a poignant story.

1 Like

I watched this at the weekend and thought it was genius. Ralph Fiennes was excellent and loved the chicken coup bit…I think my favourite scene was the menu descriptions, and the ‘cheese burger’.

My favorite part was probably Tyler’s BS. I loved the way Chef was mocking Hoult’s character in that scene.

1 Like

Same, I loved all the menu descriptions but particularly liked that one!

Just watched the original “Fame”. Didn’t realize how f*ing emotionally draining that movie was.

1 Like

Thelma & Louise

Good film. Geena Davis looks great in it.

Can’t help but think about the Simpsons while watching it, though.

“There are ghost cars all over here, you know…”

1 Like

Awaydays.
Stephen Graham in a support role as the leader of Tranmere casuals and a lads need too belong in the early 80s.
A bit deeper than the average football firm film. Very good soundtrack and has a bit of This is England to it.
All in all a decent watch and some good scenes and strong performances.

3 Likes

What did you watch that on, mate?

Something illegal

Think it’s on prime too

1 Like

Just won the BAFTA for best supporting actor, beating Brendan Gleeson.

1 Like

Whoa! That’s good going, very well deserved.

Gleeson was good but didn’t think his character had as much meat to it as the others in the film.

Interesting that Austin Butler won the best actor BAFTA for Elvis. If Brendan Fraser didn’t get it, I thought it’d be Colin Farrell. Guess he’ll have no chance at the Oscars now then.

All Quiet on the Western Front winning best film is surprising too. The Banshees of Inisherin and Everything Everywhere All At Once been the two favourites for both BAFTAs and Oscars.

1 Like

Rewatched The Negotiator the other night. Kevin Spacey and Sam Jackson are just so goddamn good.

1 Like

Film award ceremonies are usually bollocks anyway, it’s all about a marketing strategy which you have to follow a specific formula to please the studio’s and their safe investments.

1 Like

Not much of an Elvis fan, or Luhrman for that matter, but thought his performance was phenomenal. I look forward to seeing him in the next Dune movie.

Great to see Keoghan win. He has a fine track record for such a young actor - was great in both Dunkirk, and Killing of a Sacred Deer.

I liked Everything Everywhere, but think it’s rather overhyped. Banjos of Enniskillen is the superior movie in my opinion. I’ve yet to see All Quiet - wife doesn’t get on with war movies, but it’s a genre I like.