What was the last film you watched?

I absolutely loved Joker! Not a fan of Gary Glitter or his music, but that track is banging over the stairs sequence…I loved the tie in at the end of the film as well. The tone of the film was perfect for the time as well.

Man that Joker dancing down the stairs meme way honestly just such a terrible time to be alive. Completely oversaturated. I heard people who lived next to it we’re completely over run by tourists and fans.

I’d have hated to see what shitty Reddit/internet culture would have done to Nicholson’s portrayal.

Though the thing about that was Jack didn’t take his Joker too serious it was hilariously fun. Joaquin Phoenix has always felt like such a pretentious, unnatural screen presence to me and it’s only got worse as he’s aged. His Joker was just stifling.

Both The Batman and Joker were just such shallow interpretations trying to be cultured to appeal to our modern mindsets. Not to mention derivative, Joker was so close to being Taxi Driver at parts poor De Niro probably forgot what set he was on at times. Fact is if something like Taxi Driver was doing it better I don’t know how many decades ago then the film’s missed a beat, not even a Taxi Driver fantbh but it’s true.

1 Like

Haha, neither am I. Strangely highly rated, that. I’ve given it the benefit of the doubt and rewatched it and it’s still not done it for me.

I can see the parallels between that and Joker now you’ve said it.

Have a look at the Sex Pistols one, very good.

1 Like

I was definitely being flippant with my last post here yesterday, I wouldn’t actually dismiss a recommendation from you. Despite our sometimes differing opinions, theres definitely plenty of common ground when it comes to our taste.

Though this makes me reconsider what I’ve literally juat written above :joy: (not actually)

I’m not even saying this with reference to Joker, as the dust has settled and I have no interest in it at this stage, nor any investment in it as a film I like. He was good in it, but he didn’t feel like any version of Joker that I’m familiar with, and like you say, it’s incredibly derivative of Taxi Driver. I can a film being heavily influenced by aomething else, but Todd Phillips went beyond just taking inspiration from Scorsese.

But Joaquin Phoenix is a fantastic actor imo. The Master with him and Philip Seymour Hoffman was an absolute treat when it comes to two actors at or near the very top of their game. I also really liked Her, but if you use the word “pretentious” in conjunction with Phoenix then I’d say that was either shaped by having seen Her, or means it’s wise you never watch it lol.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was a gigantic loss to the world of acting tbh.

In terms of weight yeh. Man was done for a long fucking time.

25th hour by Spike Lee was probably his best work, both of there’s tbh…

Who’s your favourite actor/male or female right now. And director, still alive?

The forgotten batman, and the best actor of the lot.

1 Like

Given that The Master was a mere 2 years before his death, I’m gonna have to strongly disagree. The fact you’d shit on Hoffman and Phoenix and then metaphorically fellate Val Kilmer tells me there’s some gaps between our opinions that Ismbard Kingdom Brunel couldn’t bridge.

Given how our chats have been going, I’m not even answering questions about my favourite actors and directors, I dont have the energy or inclination to have you shit on even more of my opinions lol

2 Likes

:bergkamp2: :bergkamp2:

1 Like
1 Like

Great movie. Very convincing noncery.

While we’re on the topic, he was really underrated as the villain in Misson Impossible 3 and I won’t hear anything to the contrary

1 Like

Is that the one where Edward Norton has his mate beat him up so he doesn’t look like a pretty boy in prison?

Yeh that’s the one. It had Barry Pepper in it too.

An actor I truely think is underrated. He has this film called the Snow Walker, literally no one has heard of it but it’s very good and very sad. It’s essentially about the Innuit culture.

If you get the chance watch it.

1 Like

This was said in jest though @Castiel, everyone on here knows I don’t mind a bit of robust disagreement, and I always enjoy and appreciate your opinions, despite sometimes disagreeing hard.

Before I list some, I will say that I am not someone who keeps up with new releases, I often catch films several years after the fact, so when I list some names below it’ll be quite likely that I’ve not seen some of their work across the past five years.

In terms of directors, I like lots of Nolan’s films, though haven’t seen Tenet or Interstellar and any other similarly recent ones. I like Paul Thomas Anderson a lot. Again, not seen their recent work, but I like the Coen brothers a lot. Scorsese and Tarantino too, obviously, as you said living directors, though I rate their older work much more highly than their recent.

In terms of actors, I like Phoenix as you know, I think Ed Norton is a fantastic actor, Gary Oldman, Christian Bale and obviously other greats like Denzel, Leo, Pitt, Waltz and so on. In terms of actresses I cant really say I have any particular favourites.

How about yours?

Man you don’t need to keep throwing the word jest at me. I’m just playing around. The sentence I quoted sounded a little like cowboy talk so I was showing you Val Killer in Tombstone.

Surely you’ve seen that? It’s nearly as old as we are.

In terms of modern directors, I’m very big on Craig Zahler.

He ran two films in the modern era that are simply brilliant. Bone Tomahawk and Dragged across concrete.

They’re very dark and violent but brilliant modern cinema

In which case the word “jest” sounds entirely apt.

Don’t read too much into it lol

Mad thing was Kevin Costner made a film called Wyatt Earp the same year, telling the same story, costing so much more and ended up being shit :laughing:

Tombstone is great.

Arrival

Amy Adams, a linguist, is recruited by the military to communicate with aliens after twelve alien ships arrive at different parts of the world.

7/10

1 Like

The Father (2021)

Anthony Hopkins was masterful in this. I think it might be ridiculous saying it’s his best ever performance given Silence of the Lambs and The Remains of the Day, but after watching this, you’ll be forgiven for thinking he deserves an Oscar.

The content was sad and depressing, so I won’t give it a rewatch.

However, it fully deserves a solid

8/10 (only lower than a 10 due to the subject matter)

Especially given that he won it for this performance.

1 Like