What was the last film you watched?

Nah it’s definitely not.

I remember asking @Bl1nk about this. It’s on Netflix in Holland but not here.

Ahh yeah it’s only available to rent on Prime for £3.49

Well worth it though, fantastic flick

1 Like

Yup. Wind River is up there with one of the best films in recent years.

4 Likes

Can’t say it had any true flaws… The story is holding water, the acting is on point… But as I said, they just could have added more to it, basically make it longer, play with the viewer a bit more, they had enough material to do it.

Most films these days are too long, while having little substance (or none), this one was the exact opposite.

Boiling Point.
Stephen Graham as a stressed out restaurant owner and chef on a fateful night.
Very realistic portrayal of the pressure of a busy night acted out really well.
Filmed in one of them single shot type continuous style adds to the film.
Graham was on point as usual but Vinette Robinson is brilliant in her role.
Lot of good cameo roles by antsy customers and even food hygiene bloke at the start of the show.

@BergkampsLoveChild probably need your opinion for how valid the portrayed scene are on realism in these settings. 8/10

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not going to be rude but I feel like the entire allegory of this film was lost on you.

The depth was there in that story.

Feel free to elaborate. I’m quite interested now to see what I’ve missed.
It was a quite simple, pretty straightforward story (at last from what I’ve managed to catch :slight_smile: ), powerful nevertheless.

I watched it back last week and it’s brilliant.

I could feel myself getting so annoyed when the EHO guy was there because that’s exactly what they’re like, a pain in the fucking arse and super anal.

Most of it was on point from how they all talk to each other and respect the heirachy (even though the head chef doesn’t actually do any work :rofl::rofl:), I’ve worked with a general manager like her too 🤦:rofl:

I’d say it was quite a decent representation. One thing that did in particular I thought it highlighted well was the drug/alcohol abuse.

Like you said, Vinette Robinson was incredible and I’ve seen a few assistant managers dressed down exactly like that in the past

1 Like

Nightmare Alley (2021)

A man rocks up at a pre-WWII carnival looking for a job, he’s taken in and learns the trade of mentalism, fooling the public into thinking he can read minds and communicate with the dead.

After outgrowing the carnival, he and his new carny girlfriend leave and try bigger mentalist-style cons in New York City where he meets a psychoanalyst with patients including (and dirt on) the most powerful people in town.

This was really good. Beautiful sets, dress, cars etc. The story was really engaging but I guessed the ending quite early.

Ida (2013)

A young woman, named Anna, is living in a convent in 1962 Poland when she finally receives a reply from her aunt, her only known living relative, that she can visit her in the city, something she is told she must do before being allowed to say her final vows to become a nun.

Becoming a Catholic nun, it’s a surprise to her to learn her real name is Ida Lebenstein - coming in fact from a family of Jews. She also learns that during the war period her family (her dad, mum and big brother) were killed and buried in an unmarked grave in the small village her family lived. Ida, and her Aunt, a judge in the Communist justice system set out to find out what happened to their family and more importantly for Ida, where they’re buried.

Same director as Cold War, both truly great Polish films. The acting in this is really good, especially from the maiden performance of Ida’s actress who was found by chance by a casting director friend of the director in Warsaw.

1 Like

My type of film, but have you given the plot away?

1 Like

Erm… a bit yeah. But it’s only about as much as the trailer does.

I’ve now spoiler blurred out the chunk of it just in case.

1 Like

Probably just for my benefit than haha, I might be right in thinking there won’t be many other people watching this

1 Like

No where near his best work and not wrong about Statham but still thought it was a decent watch.

Your Highness.

Underrated comedy classic tbh

2 Likes

Marvels Eternals 5/10, just ok of a film.

Plot was very linear while character development was kind of all over the place. Seemed like an obvious attempt at another series of metaverse movies.

1 Like

Nightmare Alley
Bloke with a shady past joins a carnival in the 1930s.
Learns and steals some tricks of the trade off a husband and wife team who deal in clairvoyant and mentalist act.
Seizes an opportunity for a major swindle in the outside world.
Not bad overall but 2 and half hours was a bit long. 7/10

3 Likes

Did you guess the ending early on too?

1 Like

Watched Blade tonight

So much fun

7 Likes

Only theater movie in 2 years maybe: Dune, which I loved.

3 Likes