What was the last film you watched?

Had you seen it before tonight?

I remember watching this on VHS from fucking Blockbuster and it blowing my mind.

A top 20 movie of all time for me. So much sentimental value. The blood sprinkler scene I’ll never forget, what an intro to a film

3 Likes

I’ve just watched this and I’m so confused by what they were trying to do, apart from keeping a series going. Totally disjointed and a bit nonsense.

Did enjoy Tom Hollanders triple turn though.

1 Like

Yeah that’s pretty much how I felt.

That scene with Rasputin was just nuts, like so out there.

Kind of enjoyed the film though as a mad action romp.

1 Like

The Light Between Oceans (2016)

Michael Fassbender plays a man just back from the frontlines of the Great War who yearns for isolation, so he takes a job on an uninhabited island off the coast of a small town in Australia. When there he meets the beautiful daughter (Alicia Vikander) of his new boss and develops a relationship. After the couple marry, they try for a child but complications make this impossible. One day a boat washes up on the island with a baby in it and an adult man’s body. They take the child in and decide to raise her as their own.

I thought this was going to be a load of pish but I actually really liked it. The story is decent and the performances from the 2 leads is exceptional. In a way, I’m not saying as good as him, but I got some Bergman feeling from this.

Watched this this evening. Not going to lie, the Oscar nominations got me interested. But I remembered you talking about it. And yeah, I agree. I really enjoyed it

1 Like

Did anyone in here like Licorice Pizza to the same extent the film critics in the U.S. did? I kind of get it for people living, or having lived, the Californian life, to have an affinity for the film, but was it really that good in general? Personally I though it was good, but not great.

I just came across the fact that there’s a post credits scene in The King’s Man, and it’s pretty nutty lol

Dunno if you watched it but here you go

1 Like

Through the Window.

Horseshit.

0/10

Escape to Victory last night for me .
What a fabulous film

1 Like

Ash, The Conversation is on BBC iPlayer.

It’s a classic. Gene Hackman

Booksmart

Shite.

3/10

Did a double stint watching Uncharted and Dog this weekend.

Uncharted is a high budget film but pretty soulless and formulaic. The absence of character development in particular ruined it I think.

Dog is a different kind of film, I put it in a bracket with films such as Cry Macho, in that it is an easy watch and the viewer comes away with emotional warmth, but it will never be considered a classic, or a film one wants to watch again and again.

As an aside, for old-ish films, the first time I watched A-Team I hated it, but that was in part because I probably didn’t give it much chance and therefore wasn’t watching it with an open mind after the first 15 mins or so. The more and more I watch it now though the more it feels like a classic. Peak Bradley Cooper. I wasn’t happy with Liam Neelson being in such a film at the time, but he was strong in this one also. The actress, who I have not seen in any other films, who played the character Sosa was insanely hot also.

That’s Jessica Biel. I’m afraid she’s taken mate, Justin Timberlake shags that.

1 Like

Oh wow. She was very convincing as a Latino.

Is Dog the one where that small community of shopkeepers keep getting bullied by that big dude?

No, this is about a Belgian Malinois who served for Army Rangers in Afghanistan. Her master was killed in action and an ex fellow Ranger, now a Veteran, has to take the dog to his funeral. The Vet has PTSD type issues and the dog also. The dog is tough to handle for this reason and so it a big challenge to handle it and transport it, but the veteran has incentive to do the task because his ex-boss in the military will give a good reference for a job if he manages it (a favour for a favour). As man and dog go through a tough ordeal to connect they go through a sort of cross-country adventure.

The lead actor is Channing Tatum. It is a very American film, so I don’t know if there will be much screens showing it in the UK.

1 Like

So Dog is a movie about a dog, not shopkeepers

Disappointed

1 Like

SPOILERS

Licorice Pizza (2021)

Gary Valentine, a 15 year old child actor-turned business entrepreneur enters into a friendship with the 25 (or 28) year old Alana - a photographers assistant who comes to his school to take his school pictures. A relationship that blossoms into a business partnership and more.

I liked the film, even though I was kinda grossed out by the themes of a mid-to late twentysomething entering into a relationship with a 15 year old boy. Especially given that Female-to-Male statutory rape isn’t taken anywhere near seriously enough.

PTA is a good director, so it’s an enjoyable ride, even though it is quite problematic.

It was quite funny to see the outrage this film got was not because of it’s problematic sexual themes but because some guy did an accent racism.

2 Likes

Nice, does that mean the film is ‘out there’?

Been waiting to see it! But cinemas were closed.

2 Likes

If by ‘out there’ you mean what I think you mean, then… yes. :slight_smile:

From what I can tell, Apple TV made a mistake and prematurely released it to streaming for a few hours overnight a couple days ago. It was then downloaded and ‘out there’d’ by people. :wink:

1 Like