What was the last film you watched?

Belfast is a film I can see getting multiple Oscars. Saw an advanxe screening (for U.S.) last night.

Red Notice

Your standard action film. Funny and an enjoyable watch for a Saturday afternoon. :+1:

Suitable for 10/11 year olds?

Yeah Iā€™d say so. Nothing really adult in it. Donā€™t think there was even one swear word said in it lol

1 Like

Army of Thieves. A backstory for the safecracker from Army of the Dead. Thereā€™s no real reason for it to be any good but I really enjoyed it.

1 Like

I wanted to like this I really did, I loved the original film but I honestly couldnā€™t stop from thinking the entire time I was watching it why on earth was this made. Not to mention the shallowness of the heist crew really hit home that it looked like this film had been in development for about 3 months, Brad Cage Jesus wept.

I read somewhere some one saying they were hoping for dumb fun but instead it was just dumb and as mean as that is I kind of felt that way about the movie too.

I see where youā€™re coming from, but ultimately the film is about Dieter and heā€™s really fucking likable so I liked it. :slight_smile:

Plus Guz Khan, canā€™t go wrong with Guz.

1 Like

Yeh I like Dieter too but itā€™s weird, like I found it really biazzare. The short bromance he had with Vanderohe felt a million times more natural and authentic than the entire 2.30hr run time he had with his apparent love of his life. Donā€™t even get me started on the crazy French detective who got shot in the ass and cared more about bank robbers than the world collapsing under zombie rule.

Like donā€™t get me wrong I donā€™t mind them milking this franchise in fact Iā€™d love them to and apparently there going to- theyā€™re meant to be doing something with alternate universes, parrallel realities like Vanderohe hinted at in the vault in Army. I just hope theyā€™re made with the same charm and charisma that Aotd had under Synder, this felt very rushed, clumsy and a little silly.

Netflix hit it out of the park with Aotd, like really showed that Netflix could replace a cinema ticket with fun gems like that to home view. Then immediately went full Netflix and realized that they needed to cash in on one of their unique and likable characters even though the script and story werenā€™t just there.

1 Like

Itā€™s ok @Castiel, @netflix canā€™t hurt you now. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Itā€™s definitely more of a critique of Netflix than the film but the film was incredibly netflixy

Cold War (2018)

A director of music in communist-era Poland falls in love with a woman who becomes one of his students. After they tour together a while, the man tries to persuade his lover to flee the Iron Curtain with him to start a new life in Paris. The film charts their various meetings over the years after she declines.

This is probably my most favourite modern film that Iā€™ve seen in a while. Itā€™s so delicately handled, a beautiful story.

Gully (2021)

A film about three delinquent teens who have reason to act out the way they have.

Theyā€™re quite detestable and itā€™s a hard watch. I can only describe it as a modern day take on A Clockwork Orange. I didnā€™t like A Clockwork Orange, either (the book or the film)

It had just about enough to keep me going until the end (if only to see how the three cunts get their comeuppance). For that reason, I give it a generous

3/10

You all need to check out the Christmas selection on Netflix.

Thatā€™s something Iā€™d Love, Actually.

[boom]

4 Likes

Mr Jones (2019)

This was an interesting oneā€¦ tells the ā€œBASED ON A TRUE STORYā€ story of Gareth Jones, a Welsh journalist who travels to the Soviet Union to try and get an interview with the big tyrant, Stalin where he wishes to learn more about his policy successes and his five-year development plan. Which is not as far fetched as it may sound due to his previously interviewing Adolf Hitler.

While he is in Moscow, where he is instructed not to leave, he gets on a train with his handler but when heā€™s in the station alongside another train, he decides to jump onto it in order to see more of the USSR. His train takes him to Ukraine where he uncovers the Holodomor, Moscowā€™s genocide of Ukrainians by starvation. The regime forces them in the sticks to grow food which is then ā€œredistributedā€ to Moscow. While there he would see families reduced to Cannibalism in the depths of winter in order to survive.

He tries to get the story out but faces opposition and backlash from places as high as his own government and the New York Times.

1 Like

Ghostbusters Afterlife 7/10
Never going to beat the original but a worth sequel an a great cast thatā€™s doesnā€™t try or to forced to be funny.
Spoiler alert the use of Harold Ramis in the film is very well done and touching brought a tear to my eye. Also the original GB turning up brilliant is short but sweet.

1 Like

Child 44 (2015)

When his friend and colleagueā€™s son is found dead, A military policeman in Stalin-era Moscow inadvertantly uncovers a series of deaths of children across Soviet Russia and tries to investigate them but is given the elbow because there cannot be seen to be murders in Communist Russia - as ā€œthere can be no murder in Paradiseā€.

ā€“

I tried to watch this when it first came out and I thought it was meh. But itā€™s actually ok, the cast is brilliant and the story is decent. I went through a bit of a USSR phase a while ago and thatā€™s when I watched all these. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Promotion and trailers for this movie were a bit crud, but maybe this will open up possibilities for follow-ons (?).

1 Like

The book wasnā€™t bad but the ending was all a bit rushed.

I believe in Miracles

A film about Forest under Clough. Brilliant

9/10 (and itā€™s only a 9 cos Clough ainā€™t in it, peace be upon him)

1 Like