What was the last film you watched?

Sorry We Missed You (2019)

A Northern working class family man fallen on hard times decides to take a job as a self-employed van driver delivering packages to help ease his families financial woes…

This film was heartbreaking and shines a light on the issues and despicable working conditions involved with this sort of work. At one scene - at the family dinner table with the parents and their young daughter - I actually very nearly cried.

It’s a Ken Loach film with amateur actors and they all did rather well. I thought this was better than I Daniel, Blake, tbh.

3 Likes

Watching it now. Not really feeling it.

1 Like

Blue Story on Netflix. Decent enough for the subject it’s covering and message it gets across.

Is it a Christmas film? I need to get with the shitty Netflix Xmas films now.

Full list of Xmas titles on UK Netflix… they nearly all look like trash, though. :smiley:

https://uk.newonnetflix.info/christmas

1 Like

They need to get Die Hard and Home Alone on there :grin:

2 Likes

Phantom Thread (2019)

A middle-aged dressmaker in 1950s London meets a young woman in a cafe and starts a relationship with her both as his lover and as his muse.

This film, for me, is quite a lot better than The Master and a whole lot weirder. The foundations of their relationship drastically alter over the course of the film. First he’s the domineering man and she the timid - somewhat pathetic woman and by the end, she’s the dominant one and he the almost pathetic one.

The character that DDL plays is a very interesting one because he is simulataneously the strong and capable man - while also being prone to devolve into a spoilt brat child having childlike outbursts and temper tantrums.

I liked it, a lot.

1 Like

They’re both on Disney+. Not that Die Hard is a Christmas film, mind.

Sorry we missed you is a great film Persona

The Doc does it again!

1 Like

Watching it on TV right now.

6 Likes

Watching what? All I see is a picture of a jungle?

3 Likes

Going to say it again but definitely in with a shout for one of the greatest films of all time!

4 Likes

Watch that film and it’ll make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

4 Likes

Watched V for Vendetta last night, always been an easy go to for me when I’ve spent 30 minutes brainless scrolling Netflix for something to watch.

They seem to have nearly all the Spidey films on there at the moment so might watch a few of them this weekend while the other half is away, in preparation for No Way Home.

Looking forward to giving Tobias Maguire another chance in the role and seeing if I’m perhaps a little too harsh on him sometimes.

1 Like

I don’t think you can look to harsh on a bloke who looks in his 40s chasing a bus full of school kids.

Never got the Toby Spiderman hype he just looked to old for the role and Spiderman 2 was the only good one that was entertaining. Garfield was a better Spiderman with his quick one liners.

2 Likes

The end was way too long, mind you.

Red Notice. If you make a film with The Rock in it I will watch it.

Also is he contractually obliged to be in a jungle in all his films now?

3 Likes

@A.F

A new take on an old discussion… is “The Shop Around The Corner” a Christmas movie (as in, only really watch at Christmas like It’s a Wonderful Life)?

EDIT:

Ah, not been around a while. :grimacing:

Tick, Tick…Boom.

Honestly thought it was very good. Don’t know much about Jonathan Larson or his works but Andrew Garfield does a wonderful job or portraying the troubled genius. It’s big numbers are really big and enjoyable and lots of cameos from the stars of Braodway and The West End (which I only know cos I looked it up mostly).

Most definitely worth a watch.

I loved those films as a kid.

They have aged really badly, but so bad it’s good kind of way.

They are so unintentionally hilarious that you’ll still really enjoy them imo.

Even Spiderman 3. For the memes if nothing else.