What was the last film you watched?

Clicked on a spoiler.

Don’t really care.

Want to see the film just to look at based Fukunaga’s cinematography :drooling_face:

1 Like

No- I really want to watch Wind River. It’s no longer on Netflix and I don’t believe it’s on Sky Movies, either.

Wind River is one of my favorite movies of recent years. The acting, the vibe, the music, the story. Renner and Olsen have great chemistry.

The scene where they start feeling flanked by the cunts, but Banner doesn’t notice it. Such a tense moment.

2 Likes

It’s just an incredible film all around.

Taylor Sheridan is a master.

Edit: No offence @Bl1nk that’s the best scene in a movie I’ve seen in years but that YouTube video fucking butchers it with the weird editing. If you’ve never seen the film do not watch that video.

2 Likes

Meh, in the context of that film being the only Sopranos material other than the original TV series that we’re ever going to get from Chase I think fans will be pretty disappointed tbh

Chase pretty much had a blank canvas and wide remit when it come to production but deliberately chose to limit himself to two hours to tell the story of the most enigmatic off screen characters from the TV show and other well known characters.

Fans would have preferred a 3 or 4 part limited series so we could explore the era and characters more in depth, elements of the plot felt rushed/on the nose at times and we know interesting scenes didn’t make the theatrical cut. Definitely feels like a waste of a very good cast besides Nivola who crushed his role and dominated screen time.

At the end of the day I think warner wanted to milk the brand but Chase desperately wanted to avoid the perception of his involvement being a cash grab, I think he’s finally done with it now but I’m hoping for a Chase cut one day

1 Like

Very interesting diverse opinions, for example yourself and @Castiel . We probably will have to see the film age and be looked back on to see if it becomes recognized as a classic or not. I’m no judge. I watched the film, and was ok with it, nothing more, but unlike the two of you I am guilty of not having watched the Sopranos, something I really want to catch up with a binge viewing stint when I get the chance.

To add, I watched Venom this weekend also. Entertaining with lots of laughs with good “character” development of Venom. Woody Harrelson was also great to watch as usual, but this was one and a half hours or so of entertainment, not really anything particularly memorable to mark it as a special film.

1 Like

I honestly can’t tell if Sev liked it or hated it lol.

2 Likes

I’m a huge Sopranos fan and rewatched the entire series leading up to UK release

I liked it but I wanted more. Def above average as a film

2 Likes

Black Swan - bizarre film although the lesbian scenes were palatable. Didn’t know what to make of it ?

I think that’s maybe why I loved it so much, I like Sopranos, rank it way higher than everyone’s favourite The Wire but it’s not in my top 5.

I watched the show probably more than ten years ago but I do remember quite a lot of it, though it did take me a while to connect certain characters. Though once I did and everything started clicking I really enjoyed the nostalgia. I also loved the direction they took, Tony was just a passenger in this violent world, it showed how he was gently nudged to becoming the man he would become, honestly I thought it was fantastic. Had 12 year old Tony Soprano been cracking heads with a baseball bat like Al Capone I’d have completely zoned out.

The subtle parallels to me were much stronger, the relationship with his mother, the school counselor scene. Tony looking for the pills for his mum and him starting to understand the power of mental health. I also liked they didn’t shy away from the Vietnam conflict and the riots and the general feeling of unrest during the period.

I do completely agree with you though that it feels a little too open ended, like it needs another part but that’s more likely to ruin it for me than for it to be a Godfather type saga. I also didn’t care for Ray Liotta playing 2 roles, yeh he’s iconic to the genre we get it.

I will say one thing that scene at the very end as the title credit role and the music plays, goddamn that was a hell of a finish, goosebumps and I’m not even s massive fan.

3 Likes

Scott Pilgrim vs the World. I never tire of it, one of my favorites.

Now gonna watch Fight Club for the first time in about 15 years.

3 Likes

Re the Sopranos film

I kinda hope for me that it works out the same way as Jesse’s spin off film from Breaking Bad did. A lot of negative to meh reviews, but I really liked it to the point I’d watch it again, no bother.

I hope the Many Saints of Newark works out the same

1 Like

Because The Sopranos is what it is you’re never really go to win making a film like this. As you say with Breaking Bad’s film but at least it came out at the time.

People are always going to put it on a pedestal and for that reason it’s going to be hard to listen to reviews and other people’s opinions. Though it did rate 74% on RT which is quite high for them. Usually they slam everything.

Watch it for yourself and if you enjoy it great and if you don’t well it doesn’t detract from any fondness you have for the series. Like I say I went in with zero expectations and that’s always a blessing with movies like this.

2 Likes

Not to say for a minute that it isn’t a good film, but I watched it again in the past couple years and I don’t think its the masterpiece I initially thought it was when I first saw it in my teens/early adulthood.

I think its very of it’s time, and arose from a very specific brand of male ennui that existed in Western countries during a period of relative stability and prosperity, when it was really deep to ponder the listlessness and boredom of living a comfortable, consumerist life. In a world that has since experienced major global economic downturns and even a pandemic, I kinda feel like “oh boo hoo, you have a boring job that provides a comfortable existence that allows you to buy anything you like, but it’s all meaningless and doesn’t provide you with a sense of purpose to accompany your comfortable life, how tough for you. Get a fucking hobby”

As I said, definitely not trashing it entirely, and I do still think that it is an engaging, entertaining and all round good film that has something to say. But I do think it’s of its time, and not as great a film as I once thought it to be.

3 Likes

Generally agreed. Will watch again in about another 15 years and see if I feel different.

1 Like

I can absolutely imagine that Fight Club was a million times cooler when I was teenager then an adult.

you can just imagine watching Edward Norton fighting himself in a car park except this time you’re watching it on a jank verticle recording on Reddit while kids shout world star

Still though you’re right it will always be cult but I was more of a Seven fan back in the day. Something about Fight Club just didn’t resonate with me at the time, I felt like it was trying too hard and wasn’t an organic premise.

2 Likes

Definitely this.

It’s ghastly to watch now.

(Kinda scary how aligned our views are on films)

1 Like

Since Halloween is approaching I watched The Haunting 1999 on Netflix the other night. Now I know this film gets slated and has a lot wrong with it but I can’t help but love it. The set design is amazing and the house looks terrifying in it’s Gothic expanse. There’s something so nostalgic about this movie for me that I can’t put my finger on. Great cast too, Liam Neeson and a random Owen Wilson, not to mention 90’s Catherine Zeta was something else.

2 Likes

Hell or High Water.

Even better on rewatch. Fantastic film

Is that the one where he gets decapitated?

2 Likes