What was the last film you watched?

It was a little disappointing, tbh. Pretty slow paced, although I think most Sopranos fans will be satisfied with the details and subtleties.

2 Likes

My biggest compliment is that it could stand on its own as a fantastic gangster film. Really loved it and it felt like a massive throw back.

I like The Sopranos but I wouldn’t say I love it like some do, but what I will say is this had just enough fan service to make me feel quite nostalgic to the series and I’m sure super fans will be over the moon.

I actually think this film is a lot better than it has the right to be, I had it in my mind it would come across as a tacky cashgrab but it was made with some real love and affection. Type of movie I’d much rather see in the cinema over Bond.

The cast, background track and cinematography were all fantastic. Pains me to imagine the lovely Vera Farmiga as Tony’s ghastly mom in the series, though she like everyone else did a great job.

2 Likes

I’m going to be working my way through the best Bond films…watched Goldeneye last night and just about to put on Goldfinger.

Actually, think that has inspired me to do a poll!

Really enjoyed this. Ryan Reynolds rarely dissapoints.

2 Likes

Smart move not making this in the James Bond thread, that’s the place where people go to have their dreams smashed.

Amiright @Sol

Sorry, probably too soon.

2 Likes

Fuck! Damm…I didn’t realise there was a James Bond thread!

I’ll delete and move it :sob: :sob: :sob:

Johnny English

I will say about this throw back thing, again it will be great for Sopranos fans, but for others they’ve seen how Godfather Ii went back, and moreover it was used for Carlito’s Way also (separate movie, like this one is), so it isn’t exactly novel.

? I seen it on Saturday lol

I’ve lost the plot! Was it any good?

Very good.

Thats all I’m saying haha

Good to hear…now be honest did you pretend to walk around your house with a gun being Bond, after watching the film? :rofl:

1 Like

No I did not.

Just me then! I was caught once too :rofl:

1 Like

I love both those films you’ve mentioned and I don’t consider this movie derivative of them in any way. Perhaps A Bronx Tale but honestly I consider it far more as a homage to Goodfellas which you could argue is what The Sopranos always wanted to be- but imo could never truely master. Yet they’ve done it here and that’s poetic.

The Many Saints of Newark is low key one of the best films I’ve watched all year. Sure it might not be for you and everyone but it’s made me realize I’m more reminiscent of The Sopranos than I actually knew.

I think this is type of film that will slip under the radar this year- partly due to the name of the movie which makes it difficult for people to realize the connection but I think as time goes on it will gain cult status and stand alone from the TV show, which it really deserves to do.

2 Likes

I can remember, on an aside, the Ben Affleck film ‘The Town’ did this to me a few years back. And I hated Ben Affleck back then, lol.

1 Like

The Town’s an amazing film. Maybe one of the best heist films ever in my book, though I find Heat terribly overrated and most would say that.

3 Likes

Heat, funnily enough, has aged like a fine wine over time in my eyes. However, Al Pacino horribly overacts in it. It’s garish.

If you like heist stuff, watch Money Heist.

Going back to the Town, it was well acted by Renner, Affleck and that English actress.

2 Likes

Is a fantastic actor, mad to think he was a guest star back in House in the day when he was starting out.

You ever seen Wind River with him, it’s by the director of Sicario and it’s sublime.

3 Likes

I honestly think Wind River is one of the best movies ever, at least one of the best thrillers ever. Has that kind of 90s, Jodie Foster type vibe to it.

Wind River, Hell or High Water, Sicario and No Country for Old Men - now there’s a themed movie marathon

2 Likes