What was the last film you watched?

I’m just watching White House Down (again) and I have constitutional questions about the swearing in of presidents when other presidents are presumed dead, but not dead. @Joshua any ideas?

So in this fictional universe POTUS is presumed dead right? If they are in fact dead the VP is next in line of succession and gets sworn in. The president’s cabinet can temporarily transfer powers under the 25th amendment by a majority vote at least unless/until POTUS is confirmed dead.

1 Like

Yep, I get the 25th (West Wing nerd). In this scenario the cabinet are scattered, some in fact held hostage, and the president is presumed but not confirmed dead and uncontactable either way. The joint chiefs need some direction and can’t assume it themselves as that might constitute a coup. Let’s assume the Secretary of Defence is one of the hostages too…so someone, somehow makes the decision to swear in the VP and after getting him airborne somehow what has now become airforce one is shot down so The Speaker is now getting sworn in as president… but the president is not in fact dead and eventually reemerges to at least try and take control…at the very least it’s going to court, right?

Oh totally. Especially if they’re from opposing parties!

1 Like

Yeah watched this a couple of years ago, the kid who plays the main character is very likeable. Bunch of other top talent as well, very easy watch.

:joy: I watched this film ten years ago or so, on my cousin’s recommendation thinking it would be something like ‘step brothers’ or ‘the other guys’, was one of the most depressing films I’ve ever seen, I kept waiting thinking “is this going to get funny, will things get better for Will Ferrell?”. It just gets worse and more depressing. Your sick fuck man (with all due respect)

1 Like

I didn’t say it was a Disney film, just that it was better than it sounds. :grinning:

1 Like

Pitch Perfect. 10/10

2 Likes

Just finished The Fast & The Furious films over the weekend. They are a brilliant madness :joy::joy:. I have liked them all but really enjoyed that last one :smile:

Looking forward to the 9th one in the cinema when its out in July :raised_hands:

Watched this solely for Jennifer Connelly. Though most John Hughes films/scripts are usually great.
This one is average, but I still enjoyed it.

1 Like

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

A Crew journey to Jupiter in search of a mysterious monolith and answers after the discovery of another one buried 4 million years ago beneath’s the Moon’s surface leads humanity to believe they finally have proof that they are not alone in the Universe.

Not really much I can say about this film that hasn’t been sycophantically said a billion times since it was released in 1968. It took the genre and filmmaking as an artform to new heights - the beauty of the visuals and that glorious soundtrack make this undoubtedly one of the great great films of cinema history. Cannot really find the words other than that to describe the experience of watching this for the first time. I can only wish I didn’t do it on a crappy laptop and instead had the fortune to have seen it on the big screen and with the proper sound.

A Clockwork Orange is one I re-watched recently and again it’s a brilliant Kubrick picture. Is it just me or do these two films make other soundtracks seem a bit limp? I’ve been listening to Beethoven and Strauss all week. :stuck_out_tongue:

Normally I’d find stuff like this to be something approaching sacriligious but I love this synth version of Ludwig van’s (ha) Ninth:

(The Shining is one I can’t say I particularly cared for, but after watching those 2 it may suffer from that and I’ll definitely give it another go at some point.)

2 Likes

I have the Transcriptor Turntable that is seen in a Clockwork Orange, being a bit of an old school chap - its a bloody work of art, although the film left me rather disturbed :flushed:

1 Like

Bit random but this video popped up on my YT feed:

Amazed by some of the shots in that film. I’ve never seen it, looked it up on IMDB and it has a 4 hour runtime lol. Is it worth watching this? @Persona (tagging you as you’ve probably seen it)

1 Like

I actually never have. :grimacing:

1 Like

Army of the Dead. Decent. Pretty sure a nuke is exactly how it will all end for Las Vegas.

2 Likes

Yeah I watched it last night and I thought it was great. Very original and some very likeable characters I thought.

2 Likes

And some not so likable ones that get eaten by a tiger. Fuck you buddy!

3 Likes

Nice, will watch this tomorrow! Didn’t know it was out already.

I loved it. I loved the idea of it even more. People always talk about Z. Synder and think 300 or the more recent Batfleck verse but his remake of Dawn of the Dead was for me about as good as it gets. It wasn’t just a love letter to the original but improved upon the story and really opened up the concept. Which isn’t easy when it comes to a cult classic. I think it actually paved the way for the outlandish success of The Walking Dead.

In the last decade or so it really seems like George A Romero has tanked and poisoned his own IP. Which is a shame because it’s such an important part of cinema. I did enjoy the janky Land of the Dead.

I really would love Synder to adopt the franchise especially if he were backed with silly Netlfix money. Yes I know it’s just silly popcorn fun but I love the Night of the Living Dead series and it’s great to see it get some love and attention from a director who is clearly a fan first.

3 Likes

Solaris (1972)

A Russian scientist is sent to a space station orbiting the fictional planet of Solaris to investigate the findings of an old cosmonaut who decades earlier stated he believed he saw proof of alien life and whether or not to continue to fund the mission.

When he arrives he immediately notices there are one or two people among the expected on the station who are not supposed to be there.

Visually, a very beautiful film as expected from a Tarkovsky film. The themes explored on the station are very interesting but I could’ve done without the literal 5 minute scene of driving through traffic and nothing else.

1 Like

Yes.

Good, but not great, is what I think I thought at the time. I haven’t seen it since though.
I think I liked some of David Lean’s other films more.

1 Like