What was the last film you watched?

This list makes me miss @Persona :disappointed:

6 Likes

Great film, it transports you to that era in such a romantic and celebratory way. I will watch anything with Guy Pearce in it but throw in Russell Crowe as a bruiser and Iā€™m sold

2 Likes

Yeah it was so immersive, I absolutely loved it.

Very clear that the game LA Noir based the whole thing on that film :joy:

While not quite in the same genre The Nice Guyā€™s is like a comedic Noir-esque film. Very slick and enjoyable.

3 Likes

Russell Crowe as the bruiser again, canā€™t fuck with that formula

2 Likes

And Ryan Gosling. Though heā€™s not as hot in that one.

Youre post is legitimately what made me think of it haha. Also stupid sexy Ryan Gosling is comparable to stupid sexy Guy Pearce.

1 Like

I love The Nice Guys!!

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is another classic in that genre.

Think Iā€™ll rewatch those two actually.

4 Likes

Yeh man Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was one of the most underrated films ever. Sort of stuff Downey Jr should have leaned into during his comeback rather than selling out to Marvel and having the most boring, popcorn filmography out there.

3 Likes

To be fair, Marvel did give him all the money.

1 Like

Yeah @Castiel gonna have to side with Shammy here.

Marvel pays him like Ā£50m a film, no wonder he went with that :joy: :joy:

He can do all the independent, clever stuff he wants now that he doesnā€™t need money anymore haha

Thatā€™s why my boy Leo is the OG, gets paid and keeps his integrity with probably the best modern filmography around.

Downeyā€™s now Dr Doolittle. And we all know Eddie Murphie is the real Dr Doolittle.

3 Likes

MIB International

Didnā€™t really do it for me in the same way the others did :grin:

After Iā€™ve seen the trailer and read a few comments I expected A LOTā€¦ Loved it at the start, but the whole story really didnā€™t go much further after the opening part. The writer did nothing to develop the interaction between the characters and it really looked promising at the start. Later it just became another action/thriller, with some gore. Nice family fun. Overall still a decent watch, great actors, the girl is hot af, and absolutely lovely visually.

Having the day off I watched Dragged Across Concrete on Netflix. Films like these really annoy me. Your lured into watching it because of the cast.

The storyline is awful and non of the characters are relatable. Cop turning bad because his pay is low and he never got a promotion, well cry me a river. The three European bad guysā€¦ Why are they in the USA? They are unnecessary brutal, why? The whole is full of meaningless violence! The dialog is slow af, we get to watch a guy eat his whole sandwich bit by bit ffs. A total waste of nearly 3 hours :joy:

1 Like

Yeah I really donā€™t get the hype and boner people have for Zahler.

He just writes bad B-movies with decent actors and over-the-top gore. Brawl In Cell Block 99 and Bone Tomahawk are so fucking overrated, itā€™s ridiculous.

Bone Tomahawk redeems itself in the last 10 minutes of the film, otherwise itā€™s so fucking slow and boring. First time in my life Iā€™ve ever fast-forwarded a film to get to the action, Iā€™m usually enough of a film snob that Iā€™ll make myself sit through it but jesus. Just 2 hours of riding a horse in the desert and then 10 minutes of action.

2 Likes

I agree. Heā€™s trying hard to be some kind of new Tarantino, mixing a lot of dialogue and shock value. In the end it ends up being just ā€˜mehā€™ :man_shrugging: Iā€™m far from Tarantinoā€™s biggest fan personally, but I can see what heā€™s trying to do and what he achieved. With Zahler I honestly donā€™t. I read somewhere this movie had a $15mil budget, but only dragged in $700k in tickets. Not sure if true, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised.

1 Like

I think the perfect example of this was the bank manager in Dragged Across Concrete.

A university professor in English working in a high street bank, seemingly

2 Likes

LA Confidential is amazing. The scene where Kevin Spacey gets shot made my jaw hit the floor the first time I watched it. I still jump sometimes! I do also like the part where they hang the corrupt DA out the window until he shits himself. :arteta:

2 Likes

Love LA Confidential. I can still remember the first time I saw it actually. Crazy how some memories like that stick.

If anyone is up for hunting down movies to watch for free on Google Maps, here are the details.

1 Like