Video technology (VAR) in football

Exactly. They think they know better. They don’t want VAR and there isn’t even a vetting process for who can be a VAR ref.

You’ve got one ego on the pitch and another in a control room as things stand. Football is quick enough and at this level advanced enough to replicate rugby and show the fucking ref what is happening in the VAR room, that way they can discuss the right decision in the full glare of everyone. As it stands it’s a shit show.

3 Likes

The rule is good.

My only issue is they still keep the flag down when it’s blatantly offside. This rule should only apply when it’s too close to gauge

3 Likes

Yeah this is the biggest thing for me too. Maybe the generation that grows up with this won’t care about it, as they’ll know no different.
It will though view how fans support their team on the terrace/stands imo.
You become more an observer or watcher rather than an out and out fan. Basically it becomes more synthetic than raw.
That’s a very big give for me personally. Football needs spontaneity. It’s not an exact science.

1 Like

You say this like it’s a good thing. I don’t want football to be like a film. The raw emotion is what makes going to a match great. And that raw emotion is being watered down.

2 Likes

I felt it was watered down when I got raw emotions for human mistakes.

Now when it is corrected, I feel like it is worth watching a game where a match is not decided by a ref’s clumsiness

Gimmick in the mud mate. Going to be a rough ride for the geeks in the next few weeks. Tides turned.

That’s fair enough when there is a howler. But I don’t think the credibility of the game would be lost if say for example Brighton were not awarded that late penalty yesterday or if Salah’s goal had stood.

The percentage difference between right decisions pre and post VAR isn’t big enough for me to want to watch a game where I have to control my emotions until they’ve drawn 300 lines on the pitch to determine if a player’s eyebrows are offside.

3 Likes

If VAR really worked, last week that Leeds player who took a Mike Tyson knock out to the head from that nasty Pepe headbutt :roll_eyes:, would have been given a yellow card for diving. And Pepe given a yellow card for making contact with his head. However in what world exactly is a tap on the head like that violent conduct and worthy of a straight red. The rules are beyond fucked and if u want VAR to work the rule book needs a massive overhaul. We’ve been saying this since VAR was even a possibility :joy::joy:

1 Like

VAR worked perfectly. It gave the officials all the information they needed.

We just don’t punish players for simulating injury.

They can punish players for diving.

As I said, its a learning process and stuff like time management, automation of decisions etc will improve VAR implementation.

Proportion of good vs bad decision will be much much better

Replay has been a thing in the NFL for 20 years and they still can’t get it right. You think the PL and their smooth brain refs are gonna master it? :joy::joy::joy:

AI has not been as advanced as it has been recently.
Football has that advantage in its favour to not wait for 20 years. It can be done in 2-3 seasons.

If not for tackles & penalties, we can certainly automate offside & handball calls which are more than half of the decisions being taken.

Yes, but when can you remember any player, in any league, being punished for simulating injury?

It rarely happens, even when it’s blatant.

1 Like

I’ve seen a player go down in the penalty area looking for a pen, clutching his ankle and screaming, and yellow card given for simulation. Same should have happened last week.

1 Like

Regardless VAR gave the information and time to review the incident. VAR did its job.

Not really the point tho.

Well

VAR is a tool. I can take a screwdriver and slam it down on a screw and say well why isn’t this working?? Technically it’s not working because its not being applied right by the user. So not until it’s applied properly it doesn’t work.

But once again that’s not really the point.

Again this decision is made by a human which would have been the case with or without the screwdriver.