Video technology (VAR) in football

It was offside and would have been flagged two seasons ago before this fucking gimmick was brought in and stopped officials officiating. Kill the machine and napalm the nerds.

But it wouldn’t be. Couple years ago I remember a city goal against us where Jesus was like legit offside blocking our keeper and the goal still stood. As Sham says too many rules and not enough clarity on said rules. Its always gonna result in inconsistent calls.

Yeah but you’ve got officials told not to flag or whistle now before nerd ball gets a say.

If you’re going to have VAR this is the only reasonable way to implement it imo.

Yeah your right. It comes down who you want running or ruinig the game. Me I choose the humans.

Calling offside when a player is offside, stood right in front of the keeper as a shot is taken, feels like a bit of old school common sense. If you’re offside and in the keepers line of sight then that’s about as clear as day for me, you’re interfering.

Absolutely no chance Leno was saving that though lets be honest lol, so in that respect it feels quite lucky, but I do think it was the correct application of the rules and aside from frustration at not scoring, I wouldnt have had many complaints if it happened up the other end instead.

3 Likes

Seems there’s a bit of a call now where people starting to call for VAR should go.
Gary Lineker said he’s changed his mind on it now.
Don’t see it being reversed but it’s turning into the most intrusive thing that’s been brought in and changed too much.
Went in full on instead of drip feeding. Really need the players too be the things you talk about during and after games. Not freeze frames and letter of the law stuff.

Biggest thing I hate about it is the raw emotion takeaway when you actually score a goal ( I know it doesn’t happen often for us ) but I’m always thinking was it a tie offside or did we have some bullshit foul in the buildup.

1 Like

Do you? I never think of it when we score haha :joy:

I always think when it’s a random game I’m watching when they go to var it adds to the occasion like when they use that hawk eye in Wimbledon to see if the ball is in or not haha

This desperation to discredit VAR haha

Done more good than harm and harm came from the humans not technology

I think the problem isn’t var, it’s this generation of players who go down like a house of cards in a typhoon. If they’d man up a bit, then controversies would decrease.

If it’s shit it really doesn’t matter why it’s shit. They introduced it without proper rules and are now making them rules up as they go. It’s not going anywhere but it would be good if they got a handle on it soon.

It’s a learning process.

For instance, They learnt from last season and ordered ref to let the game continue and only call for offside once the active play is done with.

A game which has not perfected offside rule in 20 years is not gonna perfect VAR in 2 years.
We have lived years compromising on the game with human mistakes, we can live few seasons in learning process.

This is a horrible rule btw

1 Like

It also brought a new emotion of anticipation when the sunken feeling of conceeding a goal is take away because VAR overruled it.

Why

I said they should do this from day one. In fact, we don’t need linos at all anymore really. Learning my hole, they will over ever be reactive about these things.

2 Likes

I remember you saying that and common sense dictates that as well but alas the officials with their intensive knowledge of the game.

1 Like

Just the way the time is wasted enforcing it.

I think I saw Alioski for Leeds control, dribble and shoot against Everton yesterday for what felt like an eternity.

He was offside all the while.

If the flag is raised instantly, there is less chance of a Pickford style challenge on him and needless injury.

However, I appreciate where you’re coming from, too. E.g. Big Pierre’s goal at The Swamp isn’t given last season if the flag is raised and play is ordered to come back.

1 Like

Good point. One of these days they will be able to automate offside calls and we don’t have to waste the time and risk injuries.

1 Like