Upcoming Films & TV

Eh? Hypocrisy would have been if he criticized the platform for making money while making money.
How is making fun of your boss hypocritical?

I used to find him funny. Now I generally find him to be a bit of a pretentious cock.

3 Likes

Extreme atheists are no different than extreme religious fanatics in my eyes. Both groups too rigid to entertain any other views that don’t correspond with their beliefs. Personally, I like to keep my mind as open as possible to all possibilities :grin:

3 Likes

That God doesn’t exist is fact though. It has nothing to do with a certain belief. As an atheist that’s the most frustrating part about it. People are questioning facts…

2 Likes

I’m not a theist myself, as I’ve mentioned above I like to stay on neutral grounds about topics that have no definite answers, but how are you 100% certain god doesn’t exist? How is that a fact when humanity has barely just left our own solar system(Voyager 1 & 2)? Absence of evidence doesn’t mean evidence of absence.

1 Like

Because everything theists claim God is responsible for has been or can be refuted. Just because of the fact we can’t explain our existence or the existence of the universe fully it doesn’t mean we need to hold on to the existence of a deity. In fact the fact that people can’t grasp that so much is still unknown for us drives them towards religion. Otherwise their lives seems so empty and meaningless.

It’s a matter of time before christianty/islam/hinduism etc will be seen as mythology like the Greek/Norse etc and as false. I’m afraid that will not happen in my lifetime though.

2 Likes

Yeah, agreed that religion is bs that generally does harm than good. It’ll probably be wiped off the face of the earth as we truly begin to realise just how big the universe actually is and we can’t afford the luxury to create divisions among ourselves living on a tiny planet in an unspectacular part of the universe. But I’m not talking about a Brahma or a Jesus or a Mohammad though. I’m talking about the possibility of a true creator, if there is one. For all we know, we could be living inside a simulation. Or the universe could just exist without a creator, but then that begs the question “where is the universe located?”. But that’s for another debate. For now, we just don’t know, until we can prove it. (However, simulated universe could be hard to prove/disapprove as any evidence we find could themselves be simulated). There are numerous possibilities for what the true reality could be, and I like to keep my options open as this subject has been one of fascination for me for as long as I can remember. It’s fascinating stuff.

If not some ultimate being but atleast we have proven the likes of Jesus, Mohammad, Vishnu are all myths

2 Likes

No it isn’t. You can either believe they exist, or you can believe it’s all a load of nonsense.

Neither are facts, no matter how strongly you believe them :smiley:

1 Like

Why is it that for everything else in life people need or want evidence for certain claims or what not, otherwise it doesn’t exist or it isn’t true, but religion gets away with being able not to provide evidence for the existence of deities?

The presence of a deity can’t be proven. Hence they don’t exist and it’s fake.

2 Likes

no.

Since you quoted can you maybe also answer the question, please? Why does religion gets the special position of not having to provide evidence for questionable statements (the existence of a deity) ?

1 Like

lots of things couldn’t be proven for a long time but turned out to have existed all along for starters :slight_smile: so that is not a good argument. we didn’t know atoms existed for over 13 billion years but they were there all along. Their existence seemed impossible to prove just a couple of hundred years ago by some of the smartest people on the planet then.

I don’t think what people assume about religion is relevant at all to deny that general statement. It is an individual case. You don’t need to believe in it at all until someone shows it exists to you, that is fine :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think a lot has been written and said about the untruthfullness of religion and religious claims to put the task of providing evidence in their corner and for them to finally come up with some prove of it actually existing.

If it truely was an individual case I would agree. Except it isn’t. No child is born religious but is indoctrinated from day one about the existence of deities. Especially in less progressive societies outside of Northwest-Europe. Luckily in this part of the world atheism is on the rise.

Historically the main religions have become so big because they have been actively spread, not often without the use of force (think of black people or native americans in the Americas and christianity). Making it not really an individual thing, no? I don’t think there is nothing wrong with trying to reverse this hoax. Even until this day we have missionaries all across the world spreading the (untruthful) word of their God. It’s kind of crazy how we have given one of the biggest hoax of our time the space to get as big as it has.

1 Like

I think you are targeting organised religion and not individual spirituality which are different things. Children are perhaps not born with direct knowledge of any organised religion I agree, but there are countless examples of individual spirituality in people or small groups of people who have never had any contact with any organised religion, I think we have even seen that various forms of religion almost seem to inevitably pop up eventually at some point in any isolated group of people given enough time, from history.

You can even reach the idea of transcendent elements existing by applying pure logic to the world and taking it all the way until you begin to hit some unexplainable problems, without having to mix in known organised religion you don’t believe in, really. You just need to keep pushing. keep explaining things until you get to paradoxes you can’t explain because they make no sense any more, yet they exist. Then suddenly it doesn’t seem as crazy any more to suggest the explanation is non-physical.

What I’m trying to say is that just because you don’t believe in the specific idea of Christianity or any other organised religion doesn’t mean there is no transcendent elements in the universe. They could all be wrong it could still be true if you will. Then from there you’re just like those believers you just believe in another religion than they do because yours seems better to you, which is often the position all the members of organised religion have to hold toward each other already :slight_smile:

In general, proving something does not exist is terribly, terribly difficult. Some astronomer once said absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

1 Like

I agree and even worse, why is it still taught in schools as an actual subject.

Anyone who says it can’t absolutely be proved it’s not true, you could also argue that Pixies, Elves, Goblins, Fairies and Santa can’t categorically be proved to not exist.

No person has ever come up with a shred of evidence that any supernatural being exists, yet more than half the world still perform ridiculous, man made rituals, as if he does.

There has never been a Presidiential candidate in America brave enough to admit they were an atheist and up until recently, there were still laws and protocols in this country, telling us what we could and couldn’t say about religion.

There are more religious schools where I am than normal ones and they are teaching the sort of nonsense that should be confined to the history books, not as a real subject.

The only reason it still exists is because it is taught to children from a very young age, when they are susceptible to the lies and deceit the church dish out.

1 Like

:santi: Gutted. Enjoyed it.

Fuck!

That sucks, my girlfriend and I loved that show

1 Like

Wait what? That’s a fantastic show and the cast are excellent, why’d they release them?

Ah, I read it, it’s because Fincher is busy doing something stupid, I knew that already.

1 Like

Nooooo