U.S. Politics

Lighten up guys geez it’s from China just like Ebola is a river in Africa but no one is saying that it’s racist to call the virus Ebola. The Spanish flu is called well Spanish flu that’s not racist or taboo but calling a virus that started in China a Chinese flu is bad. You guys need to chill out and stop being offended

1 Like

I honestly haven’t got a problem with calling it China Virus. Obviously I keep on calling it Corona virus, but China has not gotten enough shit or global criticism for consistently pumping out these global panic inducing epidemics once every 5-7 years just because they can’t get their shit together and start practicing proper hygiene and implement appropriate regulation of these markets.

SARS, Bird Flu, Swine Flu, Corona. Absolutely ridiculous. Nothing wrong with calling it China virus, they need to be shamed for this total lack of accountability.

Hell MERS even stands for Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome .

3 Likes

Spanish Flu wasn’t even Spanish, they were just the only ones to be open and report on it at the time. So that was an entirely ignorant name for it in the first place. Not the best example you could choose because it never should have been called that in the first place.

If Ebola had a different name that everyone was using consistently and then some bigoted President of a foreign country named it the Ebola virus after the region to try and whip up nationalist fervour, showing scant regard for how this would affect people from the region who lived in his country, I would have had a problem with it being called Ebola.

You’re already seeing tales of Chinese people being mistreated in our country because people can’t separate a pandemic from them because of where they come from. Saw the tale of a Chinese NHS worker politely letting someone pass in the street for the sake of social distancing and the person aggressively called them a Chinese cunt. Some Chinese takeaways have reportedly received actual death threats. To start vocally making that worse by calling it the Chinese virus is just a totally unnecessary move, it’s just reckless and shows scant regard for Chinese people in our countries. People are panicking and behaving irrationally already, so in what world do you think it’s helpful to risk making this about Chinese people? Because that’s exactly what we are doing if we start calling it that instead of its actual name. This isn’t some abstract notion of offence at play here, this kind of thing at a time of crisis makes an enemy of people and can have real, tangible effects. We have a duty to be more responsible than that at times like this.

We live in countries where shelves of beer are empty apart from fucking coronas, let’s not sit here and act like people aren’t fucking dense and panicked enough to start drawing conclusions between what we call this pandemic and other things with similar names.

@Cristo the idea that calling it the Chinese Virus in anyway holds the Chinese government to account is a joke, it doesn’t hold up to scrutiny at all. You’ve been very active on the subject of this pandemic, why haven’t I heard you calling it by this name before?

1 Like

I haven’t called it the China virus before but I’m not about to call people out for using that term or say that it’s racist.

I’m just being petty and spiteful by thinking it’s Ok to call it the China Virus because I feel from a foreign policy perspective China keep getting away with absolute murder.

If the Chinese have a problem with it being called that by Trump they can do one.

Understood.

You’re quite an intelligent and nice person from everything I’ve seen, so if you’re feeling petty and spiteful already then many others will be too, I don’t think it would be good to further engender that mood among the general populace of our countries, many of whom aren’t as nice or intelligent as you are.

I accept that my opinion is just that, and I’m trying not to argue unnecessarily because we need to be staying positive and staying united in these difficult times (I’m even being less critical of Tories as a result of this, which I’m sure everyone will know is a big change for me), but I genuinely think that calling it the Chinese Virus has no tangible benefit, and is almost certainly going to have a tangible effect on how Chinese people and businesses are treated by people.

If it serves no benefit and could only cause potential harm to individuals, then why would we pursue that course of action? I’d genuinely like to understand that.

I know Spanish flu is not Spanish in fact historians think it may have come from China also :grimacing:. But it’s still not bigoted or racist to call it Chinese flu it originated from China. The problem so many outlets called it wuhan flu and Chinese flu, but when trump said it it was racist. And like typical sheep everyone followed at the end of the day mate it came from China which makes it a Chinese virus much like Ebola was an African virus. Stop being offend on the behalf of people

The WHO seem to pick and choose whether they want their novel viruses to be named based on a place or not.

It’s admirable to not, like they did with SARS and now COVID but where was this energy with MERS, which was between the 2?

Oh yeah. I do want to add that Donald Trump is a massive, stupid dumb cunt motherfucker who is the worst person you could have in charge of a country during this thing, and he spouting dangerous bullshit and lies, like this:

This tweet should be deleted. If both these drugs are taken together, they can cause your heart to stop.

Fucking dumb fat orange clown mother fucker I’d love to mash his face in.

Seriously, these blue fuckers better make sure Joe gets in if that’s who they’re with right now, or they should never be listened to again.

3 Likes

But at least they’re not using petty bigotry to help them decide how to name it.

1 Like

Defo give China a hard time for how it behaved re the virus, but calling it Chinese flu is basically pointless, serving no end other than to get some innocent Chinese people duffed up in the street by twats.

5 Likes

Yeah I’m going with Chinese virus from now on, apart from on social media platforms as I don’t want go get in a pickle with work.

1 Like

That dumb fucker trump can call it the Chinese virus if he wants, but his complete ineptness is creating a leadership vacuum that China wants to occupy now, which is pretty dangerous.

The Chinese themselves are creating propaganda that the US imported the virus into Wuhan, and now by giving countries like Italy and Serbia ventilators, is creating major allies and disrupting the usual sphere of influence.

If an authoritarian government is seen to be handling this better than the western countries then that’s not very good for the future.

Thank you, this is exactly what I’m saying. And is exactly why it’s really asinine for you to be saying “don’t get offended on behalf of other people” in reply to me @ryaninho. Makes you seem like you have little interest in actually engaging with me, and it’s more than a little ironic that you are claiming in your post that other people are behaving like mindless sheep when instead of engaging with the points I’ve made you just trot out a clichéd, brainless line like the one I’ve just mentioned.

I’m going to try and do something more pleasant or productive with my Sunday than continue this discussion with you, because it won’t make either of us happy and will probably just bring other people’s moods down reading us argue. I feel depressed enough as it is lol.

I still can’t believe they flew those suffering back to this country, even if they did stick them in quarantine. Restrictions on travel should’ve been one of the first things put in place.

Wrong thread. Thought this was the Corona one.

Hopefully no one sees China as handling it better. They have a huge advantage though in being a dictatorship. They don’t need to put any social security in place during a long lockdown and indeed haven’t, and then they can simply hide the human cost from the population with state media.

2 Likes

Let’s call a truce bro in times likes these we should not argue over stupid things like the name of a virus. Just keep yourself safe bro.

Basically fuck Trump and fuck the Chinese practices. We’re in the midst of a global epidemic and all these politicians seem to be doing is facing off on a war of words on us vs them. On top of that, the media outlets such as CNN love the headlines it is generating.

This shitty term for this virus is a product of all this rubbish and it shouldn’t be getting anywhere near the exposure or attention it’s getting because one idiot (unfortunately that moron is the president) brandished it.

Surely there’s other things we can channel our focus on, for example tackling this pandemic. Then those guys can call each other all the names under the sun and I won’t care. The term Chinese virus is one I don’t have any interest in discussing let alone using.

1 Like

Ah, I see the cesspit that is the current political climate here is still being debated in a calm and measured manner.

3 Likes

Trump wants a return to normal trading by Easter :eyes:

1 Like

He should lick a new york subway pole to prove it’s safe.

1 Like

Ever seen a salesman desperately trying to hype up something they know is shit?

That’s basically Trump.

3 Likes