U.S. Politics

I mean, it’s not Hillary in handcuffs, which is what you really want, isn’t it?

That was never going to happen and nor would that be advisable due to optics of persecution of the opposition

I assume this is why you think the raid yesterday was a political hit?

If anything it’s a good day for Trump’s ability to extract money from every picklebrained boomer in flyover country. I’m sure some of my relatives have donated.

1 Like

I’m sure Trump will use this to make a tonne of money.

On a side note how’s the US economy been tracking under the Biden administration ? I haven’t taken any notice really ?

Am I however of the understanding you still need to be vaccinated to enter the states ? What’s the science behind that ?

Here a good thread for that issue Coronavirus - #16890 by Jules 90% of the forum have muted it so better take it there.

2 Likes

As far as I can see Trump is a narcissistic bully who’s rotten to the core and who treats the law like it doesn’t apply to him. Really hope he gets sent to prison like he deserves. It’s a scandal he isn’t there already.

1 Like

Inflation is up but it’s up everywhere.

They touted some big job report/drop in unemployment recently and at least within my line of work there are tons of places hiring. Will those wages keep pace with inflation? Not really sure.

The big thing for a lot of people my age is housing though. If you rent, you’re fucked and now it’s getting more expensive to borrow money so you’re also fucked. If only we had spent less on avocado toast. :sleepy:

Yeah that is a worldwide issue predominantly as things stand, doesn’t seem to dissimilar to Aus regarding the rental and buying markets.

I know I’ve complained about it before but my parents were so confused when I explained to them that getting a 600 square foot apartments in a not so safe area outside of Baltimore City allowed my partner and I to save a whole $100/month. We’re just lucky we bought a house when we did and we were way over leveraged for a bit.

I’m saying that in a relative sense. It absolutely doesn’t mean the US political scenario is good by any stretch of imagination, but just that the political scenario throughout the planet is in such a bad state right now that the US political sh*t show still looks slightly better compared to the rest of the world. Personally, I find some of the US political stances absolutely insane, like the gun law(though that again seems a subjective issue, as I’ve met a few South Africans who adore the gun law due to the regular day light crimes they witnessed back in their country). But apart from the madness, I still see many people from different parts of the world looking at the US politics with a keen eye.
I just think this good planet needs a political reset for the better, but I also feel things are only going to get worse before they hopefully get better.

4 Likes

@JakeyBoy are you familiar with the Dark Brandon memes? Feels like the kind of dumb stuff you’d enjoy. And I don’t mean that in a condescending way. I love dumb stuff.

Garland completely called Trump’s bluff today in announcing that they would seek to unseal the search warrant and documentation regarding what was found. We’ll see whether or not he objects in court.

WaPo also broke a story tonight that the FBI was after classified documents related to nuclear programs, which could be more consequential. If they end up finding classified documents related to the US nuclear program, Trump simply has to be prosecuted. State secrets don’t get more important than that and he potentially not only took them to Mar a Lago but also refused to give them back for 18 fucking months (again, if they did turn out to find such documents, I’m not making that presumption yet).

I have zero love for Hillary, but her mishandling of classified material (which ended up being a bunch of vaguely worded emails from the CIA asking whether the State Department was OK with us droning guys in Pakistan) was like jaywalking versus mass murder when you compare it to what this could entail.

2 Likes

Knowing his propensity for selling anything and everything to the highest bidder I’m willing to guess what intelligence agencies are worried he’s done or planned to do with these docs.

2 Likes

I think what’s terrifying is the amount of people lined up to blindly defend this guy no matter what happens.

3 Likes

The FBI planted those documents that Trump also had the foresight to declassify before leaving office.

1 Like

I’ve read a lot of that.

I’ve even seen people claiming that this entire thing was one very long con by Merrick Garland (the Attorney General and head of the Dept. of Justice, for those of you who aren’t from the USA). The conspiracy theory is that Obama nominated Garland to the Supreme Court, the Republicans blocked the nomination and the gamble paid off after Trump won in 2016. Trump goes on to appoint Gorsuch to the seat Garland was originally nominated to fill and on we go.

Garland was apparently so mad that instead of just continuing his lifetime appointment to the Federal bench he convinces Biden to appoint him Attorney General and then waits two years to send in some goon squad to Trump’s shitty golf club and plant evidence.

And I wish I was making this up but there are people out there who are at the very least promulgating that theory. Whether they actually believe it is another story, but jfc.

If the DOJ charges him, then he’s entitled to a zealous defense the same way every other person charged with a crime is entitled to a defense. But the amount of rationalizing among his supporters is just exhausting to watch. And the “whataboutism” as if that’s some sort of gotcha moment. People saying “Oh well if Obama had classified documents you wouldn’t be mad.” That’s insane. That’s an insane thing to say. Because normal people don’t worship political figures to the point where they refuse to acknowledge they are still human beings capable of doing something wrong.

4 Likes

Maybe not political figures but worshipping celebrities and the ultra wealthy is typical of American culture, broadly speaking.

Drumf’s pre-politics celeb status (and fake rich guy persona) carries allot of weight with a significant chunk of braindead Americans.

1 Like

I get that. I really do, but I don’t think it has as much to do with his wealth (real or imagined) as it does his racist and xenophobic message. People love that shit.

1 Like