Thomas Lemar

Don’t worry. It’s Loan FC over here right now. We’ll only have to pay his wages, not an actual transfer fee. :henry2:

1 Like

Have people seen this guy play? Dude is an absolute baller and is still 23. We do not have a player of his profile in the team at the moment. He has everything you need from a winger(could play as #10 too) apart from great versatility with his weak foot.

Love Simeone to death but the guy can’t fucking use proper wingers to save his life. :joy:

1 Like

In his final season with the club, Law worked on the ill-fated bid for Thomas Lemar. That was a transfer saga that ran through a whole summer. Arsenal had started negotiating in June, only for Monaco’s valuation to prove prohibitive. Then at 10.30pm, two days before the window was due to close, Law received a call from Vadim Vasilyev, the Monaco CEO. With little time to spare, Monaco had decided they would do a deal.

Law met with Wenger and Ivan Gazidis, and they tried to set in motion a sequence of events that would see Alexis Sanchez leave Arsenal for Manchester City and Lemar move to London. The issue, in this instance, was time. Lemar had been called up by the France national team and was due to play that night.

“By the time we were able to get in front of the player on match day — this is 3pm — the player says, ‘This is too much stress for me. I’m just going to stay at Monaco,’” Law reveals. Arsenal were a little taken aback: they had already agreed personal terms with the player, and even offered to increase their proposed terms. Nonetheless, Lemar needed more time to think — time Arsenal didn’t have.

It was Lemar who pulled out :joy:

2 Likes

Thank fuck that he did too. I’m not sure a worse piece of business could ever have been conducted. £90m on Lemar?

3 Likes

I don’t believe that 90m tag

This may be the craziest deal of the decade

When I say, ‘i wish we sold Alexis to City’ I didn’t legislate for our stupid management at the time to fuck around like this.

Funny thing is, we may get him for less than a third of that if Atletico are willing to sell now.

4 Likes

I’d rather 90m on Lemar and a net 20m loss than Mkhitaryan for Alexis

So you’d prefer the same outcome on the pitch plus a 20 mill loss as a side order?

I think Lemar as a 22yo has much more upside over Mkhitaryan when played in a more attacking side. Yes

I imagine you also compound that 20 mill loss too when he doesn’t perform and we have to sell him off for a lot less than 90 mill.

But I say this all based on a series of conjecture of course.

1 Like

Lemar is extremely talented - not 90m worthy - but better than his Atleti career would suggest.

1 Like

It’s bizarre how often we’ve seen a dick law interview in the last 12 months.

3 Likes

I genuinely don’t think he is. He looks good at his very best, but an extreme talent? I don’t think so.

1 Like

He’s left his Arsenal post right?

If so, its not bizarre at all. It’s a great opportunity for journalists to get inside info that Law would have not been able to shed light on whilst at Arsenal I’d inagine.

This must be the 6th/7th time I’ve read quotes from him about stuff like this in about the last year. That’s what’s bizarre.

Speaking of quotes, it’s been a while Hleb praised Arsenal

4 Likes

Linked again

Would love him here but we’ve got Pepe.
Not our top priority anyway.

He can play multiple positions , even midfield.

While I’d like him Arteta has prioritised CBs and a CM. And he isn’t going to rock up and be our CM solution.

I could see Chelsea or United picking him up as they could both do with a winger