Theo Walcott

Always love Everton for finally taking him off our hands

1 Like

I think it was one of those things where he was just good enough and got just enough goals and assists for everyone to think he was just about to kick on and hit his potential, and then he had that great season where he got like 14 goals and 16 assists and everyone was like ā€œit finally happened!!!ā€ And then he tore his ACL and it was game over for him.

He did score a respectable amount of goals and assists, and thereā€™s a few memorable goals in there so all told Iā€™m not upset or bitter about his time here.

Iā€™d have 18-26 year old Walcott here, although not as an undisputed first team starter.

Edit: 458 apps in all comps, 108 goals and 90 assists.

Pretty respectable return for a winger all things considered.

2 Likes

He would affect our overall game which cannot be quantified.
I liked Theo a lot but wanted him gone when the Sign da ting was happening.

Yeah for sure but I think Theo was as frustrating as any player because he just wasnā€™t very good at the basic parts of football. He had moments and spurts where he looked like the real deal but he was never trusted to the extent that we wanted him to be because of his injury record, just lack of technical quality and the fact that he just had way too many stinkers.

Theo was the kind of guy you couldnā€™t rely on but he would randomly come up with goals and assists. But the reality is that his play just had an adverse impact on the overall quality of how we played. Moves would break down around him, heā€™d run into corners and if he didnā€™t have a clear opportunity to beat a man with pace heā€™d often end up just losing the ball with a silly pass / dribble attempt

2 Likes

True, he was too inconsistent and relied too much on his snap instincts for his goals and assists. When he had time on the ball, heā€™d overthink it and heā€™s flaws would catch up to him.

Great player on the counter attack and would have suited a club that played on the counter better.

He wasnā€™t developed by neglected coaching. Wasnā€™t particularly blessed with any real football brain and suffered from it.
Speed and confidence got him so far as an individual but not enough concept of a team player.

3 Likes

The Adebayor assist at Anfield is one of my favourite (albeit shortlived) memories as an Arsenal fan in the past 15 years.

Good servant to the club. Scored some very memorable goals too, the double versus Spurs sticks out, and that unusual goal at Stamford Bridge where he went down then got up straight away.

Glad we let him go when we did, and he probably could have gone before that. Canā€™t argue with his numbers - they look good on paper. But he was always missing a bit of footballing intelligence. He was quite a robotic player. Iā€™ll remember him fondly overall though.

3 Likes

Ah come on. Theo was fine. He scored goals for us. We never had a starting XI where he was the weak link. We had a weak team. But he was never the main problem.

Thatā€™s a stretch.

Regardless, you donā€™t need to be a Xhaka-Mustafi esque disaster to be detrimental to the squad.
Being a Giroud can be detrimental as well.

:ramsdale:

He wasnā€™t the main problem but he definitely should have been moved on sooner. Outside of that season he did his ACL he was only really a great moments player.

His lack of footballing brain was a problem. Not the main problem but a problem.

1 Like

He scored more goals for us out wide than most have. And He loved The Arsenal.

He was mediocre, I agree. And we kept hold too long. But I think our whole team was mediocre at times. Iā€™m not gonna hold any resentment towards him.

2 Likes
1 Like

and was a better player :henry2:

More goals than Zidane, more assists than Sergio Ramos, more passes than Casillas, more shots on target than Casemiro and the only player Messi was ever scared of. Strong case for this being our greatest ever player.

#weā€™ve got Walcott
Theo Walcott
I just donā€™t think you understand
Heā€™s Arsene Wengerā€™s man
Heā€™s better than Zidane
Weā€™ve got Theo Walcott#

1 Like

ā€œWhy does Theo Walcott fall down, Sir? So he can learn to get straight back upā€- Michael Caine

1 Like

Theo contemplating retirement makes me feel old

2 Likes

I always thought he might retire relatively early as pace was such a big part of his game.

1 Like

17 years since he went to the 2006 World Cup lol

Feels like he retired years ago. Wonder how many match attax card sets heā€™s been in.