The State of The Arsenal

I feel like we should make the distinction that it’s the Europa. Clubs like United and Chelsea win it without literally even caring. Hell the only reason we care is because we want back in the CL.

We’re just a pathetic club that stopped trying to be competitive about ten years ago because we cared more about money. The irony being that we’ve probably lost about 10x that by losing our status as European elites.

Nothing good about the club these days. Hasn’t been for most of my adult life.

6 Likes

That wasn’t the point I was making though, the rest of the post was.

Does anyone think it’ll get to the stage where someone decides to take matters into their own hands and start a new club up, ala FC United style? Of course the Kroenes won’t own the club forever, but whenever that will be, how much further mess will the club plunge down to, before it’s too big of a mess to fix? Obviously it’s a rather extreme idea when many clubs have it a lot worse than us (hard to believe sometimes lol).

A few years ago it didn’t seem possible dropping any lower than 6th or 7th, but now it’s midtable. Surely it can’t get any worse? :neutral_face:

1 Like

Ah fair bro sorry, I just don’t even consider these last few years any sort of compensation. The Cl was always my favourite thing in the sport and I absolutely adored watching us playing mid week for most of my entire life. I slowly fell out of love with the club as I watched us give in to the other European teams when we could have stood tall with a little spending.

I shouldn’t have snipped your comment like that but I can’t even pretend like the first half is something to be proud of or feel good about, if anything it’s direct causation from your point in the second half.

2 Likes

Check out Dial Square FC. Also, hello!

Totally agree.

1 Like
5 Likes

Tonight is when Edu needs to earn his corn. Be on the phone to America and the Board to ensure a meeting is convened in the morning and Arteta sacked before lunch.

Would be ridiculous to back this novice in the transfer window and the crazy choices over these ties coupled with a pedestrian and sterile style of play is all they need to see to be sure he’s not up to the job.

If Edu can’t do this he should go and join Raul in the discard pile.

2 Likes

THIS CLUB IS FUCKED.

4 cracks at winning the Europa League and couldn’t do it.

Now the relocation is complete, out of Europe all together and a proper mid table club.

10 Likes

My biggest concern on this appointment was if it didn’t work out was how would it leave us looking as a club.
Well we have the answer now, totally irrelevant and average as fuck.
Where miles away from anything or any of the serious teams in the League now.
You need a huge personality as the next manager and someone bringing his own backroom staff. Arteas makeshift staff to a man will have too go.

8 Likes

Think we’re finished as a big club Strolls? I think so. Damage been done.

5 Likes

I think we are.

It’s chickens coming home to roost after years of acting like we want this

Well there you go

Trendy club for metrosexuals and hipsters, but no bite, no standards, no self-respect, no substance.

Just a fashion statement.

Won’t change until it changes at the top.

6 Likes

Young people in their 20s wont remember Henry, Bergkamp and company. They want their own heroes. We are so clinging to the past we don’t realise how far ago these glory days were.

12 Likes

Put it this way, Liverpool. Rafa’s first bad season under some bad owner’s was 2009/10 right? Finished 7th. They lost most of their key talents (Torres, Alonso, etc) and signed some bums (Konchesky, Carroll, Poulsen, Hodgson as Manager) and became also-rans. Also did the romantic appointment with Kenny Dalgish that went absolutely nowhere.

Even with a new owner they were struggling to get back to the big time until Rodgers pulled a one-off season in 2013-14. Then went back to their normal selves for two more seasons. Then Jurgen Klopp happened and it still took so long because it was a rubbish team for almost seven years.

What’s worrying is I can’t see this club making any sort of crucial or defining decision that could potentially bring us back. I seriously think we’re done for awhile.

6 Likes

The one thing that really hurts us is the wasted money on guys like Willian, Mari, Cedric, Xhaka, and Lacazette. That put us in a hole.

However I do think there’s a lot of knee jerking. We still have a better roster than a large majority of English clubs and we have no debt and we are in good shape financially. All we really need is a proper manager and talent evaluator.

A proper manager will get doods like Partey, Saka, Pepe, ESR, and Auba playing to their full potential, or maybe make them look even better than they are like Wenger used to routinely do because his football was insatiable.

And then a guy like Campos or Sven would be able to bring us good players for cheaper prices because they can actually spot good talent instead of going for overrated players who are older and more established.

Insanely easy to fix, but ya kinda have to have a modicum of understanding of the game to implement this stuff, which the Kroenke’s don’t have.

4 Likes

I started during the Emirates era (2006), that was 15 years ago now! Even the club is unrecognisable from that period. Never mind the Highbury days you fellows experienced.

5 Likes

I’m in my mid 20s and I’ve been a fan for about 15 years like @RockyMaivia, so I never saw the glory days but the first many seasons that I was a fan, Arsenal was unquestionably a special club even without the legends. In the project youth years, I was still really excited by a lot of the stuff happening then even if I didn’t have an Henry or a Bergkamp. I really worry about someone who’s 10 years old or so now because the Arsenal on offer at the moment is so far removed from where we were in the mid 2000s that these kids won’t be falling in love with the club. In fact, to them they’re probably growing up with Arsenal being referred to as the “banter club”, so we really need to get our act together and fast.

6 Likes

Wish you could of seen the Highbury years bro, I will never forget going there as a kid, the stand, the pitch, the atmosphere. I don’t really remember anything before 94/95 and even then it’s a bit of a blur as I was very little (7/8) but you could tell you was supporting something special. Despite us being crap through out the 70s and 80s I can understand why the older heads loved The Arsenal.

I swear there was something magical about Highbury, that permeated through out the whole club, and all of that went way when we moved to the Emirates. Forever Fuck Islington council for not letting us expand Highbury and forcing us to basically build a new stadium.

3 Likes

Rock bottom tonight. Lowest moment of my Arsenal supporting life. But the saddest part is it is thoroughly deserved.

I feel just like DT does about the club.

3 Likes

UEFA: We should ban the clubs that were part of the Super League from all European competitions for the next 2 years.

Arsenal: Way ahead of you

5 Likes