The State of The Arsenal

That is too much common sense for Arteta. :man_shrugging:t5:

I don’t say it is a given, but I can imagine it could play a factor and a guy like Cruyff could have the effect of inspiring people, don’t you think so? At the end of the day if he would turn out to be a bad manager, the inspiration thing wouldn’t matter over the long run. And he would be fired for being a shit manager.

What @InvincibleDB10 said: you can give it a shot, but when you see it doesn’t work. Stop the experiment and move on. The problem with Arteta is that we stick with him for way too long.

1 Like

I’m not sure. I’d imagine playing under legends like Zidane, Crujff and Daglish to be inspiring for some of the players. They can typically beat you in bragging rights aswell as having better technique in the 5 a sides

1 Like

I don’t think it should happen but if it was a choice between an elite player or an average player at least the elite player should have the respect of people working with him.

I would rather have an experienced manager at the top level and Arteta was neither an elite player, and was also never a manager in any capacity so choosing him was pointless.

I’ve made it clear, when he was chosen, that I never wanted him here because he was unproven at any level and I have maintained that view throughout his underwhelming managerial apprenticeship with us.

So, after seeing the destruction of yet another season and seeing us break records for all the wrong reasons, I was probably right to doubt his ability to take us forward.

3 Likes

I don’t think that front 3 would work either. All low touch players. Arteta needs to stop trying nonsense though. The template that worked briefly/looked promising was Auba CF with creators/high touch players behind.

2 Likes

The Arteta appointment was risky and I have very little confidence with any of the footballing decisions that this club makes.

My inkling is/was that he’s a good football mind and has the tools to become an elite coach one day. But even if that were to end up being true, it would be more luck than quality decision making.

3 Likes

The days of toxic AKB vs WOB fights are more desirable than this

WOBs thought they were gonna get this:

But instead got this :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I just cannot fathom how in an era where a long and successful stint at a club for a manager will last 4-5 years, we gave this job to a guy who was going to need that amount of time to learn. Even if he had been better than he’s turned out, the argument was still always that he’d be “learning on the job”. So even if this had been successful, he would’ve just left and gone to Barca or wherever after a couple of seasons. In other words, this was never going to benefit Arsenal in the long run even if it went better than this. Why appoint a managerial prodigy when even if he comes good, he’ll be out the door once he does? Way too many things had to line up perfectly for this appointment to work and that’s why it’s always been negligent.

6 Likes

There is some logic in it. But it only works with a good structure in place. If you have a young and precocious manager you support them and also constrain them.

You want input in transfer dealings? Fuck off.

You want a specific player? We’ll take it under advisement.

Your job is to focus on using the players we give you to the best of their ability.

It could have worked better than it’s currently working.

3 Likes

The decision to ‘promote’ him from head coach to manager so early in his reign was so amateur it’s unreal. We actually got the kind of structure in place that we wanted, despite the fact that our DoF was a cunt, and then the moment we had to find a new one we just got lazy and put everything on Arteta’s plate. That’s not his fault either to be fair, the people above him have to be smarter and manage him like you’ve said.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d agree.

That west ham game wasn’t a pretty watch despite the goals.

I think Freddie would have accepted that and would have tried something else before Arteta would.

The club was desperate at the time. They also didn’t want to spend the money to bring in someone like Allegri, Ancelotti, etc.

Arteta was always in their list as he was the second choice behind Emery, and they probably regretted it with how Emery turned out. There were rumours about Arteta taking over at City at some point so the FOMO definitely kicked in.
They saw this as a small risk that could pay off very well. If it didn’t work they could sack him without having to pay him a shit ton of money.

The way he won the FA Cup probably made them commit even more. It’s definitely starting to run out though.

If he doesn’t finish the season in a good light his situation will be reviewed.
He’ll survive that but he’ll be under review till December. If results start going wrong again they’ll pull the plug.

2 Likes

You’d hope given the fact we gave Arteta the job without previous experience that if he was a raging success he’d have a fair degree of loyalty to the club for a significant period of time.

You’d hope so but that’s rarely how it works is it.

This is a very good take, GWG.

3 Likes

It was just a lazy stingy appointment. At the time there was Allegri, Poch, Ancelotti and a host of other managers available including some already at clubs that could of been poached we went with someone who’s never managed a game in his life. What did we expect to happen? Football is super competitive sport where fine margins make big differences, with the Arteta appointment we took them fine margins and turned them into “mind the gap” levels space between us and our competitors.

Just have to laugh at all the propaganda, “if Arteta has the best players in all the positions he wants he can get Arsenal back to winning ways”, like yeah no shit so can any one else :joy::rofl: Gtfo bro

5 Likes

Wouldn’t swap Arteta for Allegri/Ancelotti even offered it right now.

Tuchel I wanted in 2018 and in December. Missed a trick there.

2 Likes

In fairness to the board, they did interview Allegri when Wenger left and were unimpressed by him (the lack of English was a factor, apparently).

Following that, they didn’t even make an approach for Poch (could win the CL in half a season), Ancelotti (done better with Everton than they have done since Moyes) and even Mourinho (think I’m with @InvincibleDB10 on this. Hate Mourinho but strange not to have gone for a PL proven manager).

Instead, post Wenger, we’ve been strongly linked with Luis Enrique, Paddy, Arteta twice and Emery (which was kinda out of the blue). Hardly awe-inspiring.

3 Likes

That’s insane to me. Allegri is a top coach

5 Likes

From what I can see of the way Arteta speaks and conducts himself, he talks a good game and makes a good impression.

Emery’s detailed dossier of our player’s faults appears to have swung it too.

It sounds like we might be a club that hires coaches based on how well they interview and not how well they coach. If you can leave the bosses with a warm fuzzy feeling you’re in. It’s the sort of thing that might happen for a middle management job.

7 Likes