The State of The Arsenal

What logic there was and is to appointing Arteta I will never understand. He had no experience as a first team main coach and manager. In any other industry such a person would never be hired to fulfil the main role.

It is gross mismanagement and incompetence from the board and the club. That shows this club is fundamentally toxic at this point with too many people not competent enough to be where they are.

3 Likes

I’ve said plenty of times the logic was flawed and a mistake.

Smart management would be to part ways if he can pull a EL win out of his arse.

No mate, sorry - we will not win the EL. Smart management would be Arteta gone last January.

Instead we suffer more and prolong the pain. :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

What logic was there in Ajax hiring Cruijff or De Boer as managers? Or Danny Blind?

You really comparing legends with this Basque prick? Also different times. And I am not going to now research each of these examples, but I am sure they had more experience before taking over as the main manager/coach.

De Boer had none. But if you’re a club legend you should get a chance (without experience), but as a mediocre player for said club not :eyes:?

2 Likes

Freddie wishing and invincible dreaming lead to the reality he was out his depth. This ended up with Arteta panic and pep delusion.
Nothing practical or logical in either decision. Boardroom acting like a fan forum.

2 Likes

Yes it makes more sense to have that chance as a legend than as a mediocre player. Because legend status alone can inspire players to perform better. Arteta is a nobody.

1 Like

I think they thought they were getting Guardiola. Probably talked about all the latest trendy tactics and how he’d had success coaching City players to league titles

1 Like

First Emery pulls the wool over the Board’s eyes and now Arteta did the same. Either these basque slick ricks are the best smooth talkers or our Board is utterly incompetent. :man_shrugging:t5:

3 Likes

Largely both. This is what happens when you mainly employ executives without experience in the world of football

The question where do we even go from here. I don’t think we can buy out a manager in jobs and I don’t think we get the very elite of managers in. So I don’t think we get Allegri. It’s possible we didn’t turn Allegri down but that he said he’d take the job if he had a larger transfer budget than we were allowing. So I see him holding out for a bigger more stable job

Out of the unemployed managers we potentially could get I fancy Sarri or Jardim

2 Likes

I agree with you it is probably a combination of both and indeed we might not be able to pull in big name guys. Maybe we could have right after Wenger, but not in the current mess which affects all levels of this Club. I’d take Sarri or Jardim in a heartbeat and never look back at the Arteta era. :facepalm:

2 Likes

Freddie was a caretaker and had been given very little chance to succeed. Also he had shown more in his team selections than Arteta ever has to indicate he might have some common sense.

But he hasn’t even been mentioned here I don’t get why you bring him up.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Freddie would have been a good choice, I doubt it. Having said that, it couldn’t be much worse than Arteta and at least he was a legend for Arsenal which might have inspired some players.

I’m just saying, it took Freddie 2 games to realise what Arteta hasn’t realised yet - Laca on the bench and Auba in the middle.

Martinelli, Auba, Pepe front three. Don’t think Arteta has ever done that.

Willock was played as a CM, AMN at RB. Their best positions. (I can’t blame Arteta on AMN, he was insistent on playing at CM it looks like.)

He was willing to try things.

I don’t know if he would have been good enough. But he showed there he probably would have been better than Arteta. (That is a low bar)

5 Likes

To highlight how we ended up in with this shit appointment. It highlights the lack of planning by the board and club.
It can only force them to think different next time but it could well be too late now. Club been losing status for years now.
Going to take more than being based in London as the big drawing card some think it is. The country like the sport have both moved on.

1 Like

It’s about having the right knowledge within the club. That is were we fail. And money. Everybody always talks about van Dijk and Alisson, but Liverpool started this project with Salah, Mane, Robertson and Wijnaldum. Not the greatest signings…apart from those two nothing else matters.

1 Like

There is no problem hiring elite players as a manager but Arteta was never close to being that.
It’s also not a problem hiring an ex player but persisting with them, when it’s been proved that they are absolutely clueless, is insane.

I think most people have come to realise that Guardiola didn’t need Arteta.
He might have been popular with the players but it was Guardiola who is the genius and Arteta was a genius at tying players boot laces and moving the cones around.

Exactly.
When you have an owner who is clueless about football but loves making money, it’s no coincidence that he will go the cheap route and is easily persuaded by people who talk a good game but aren’t good enough.

A useless owner and useless manager is what we’ve ended up with and there are still some that will tolerate it and defend it, so, until that stops, we will be dragged down even further.

2 Likes

Of course that is fucking problem. Their reputation as player means nothing as manager. The inspiration argument of @Forever is also bullocks, but this is a case of what you want to see/believe.

1 Like

Agreed on the inspiration thing. Its a fan argument rather than a player one. Id say Cruyff is more of an exception as he was one of the most intelligent and innovative players of his time.
It was always likely he would become a coach of some sort. He actually was in many ways a player manager during his career in some respects.

1 Like