The State of The Arsenal

Is that a good medium to long term strategy though? What happens when the adidas deals comes up and they offer us way less money because the club has drifted into irrelevance? Sponsorship revenues decline, the budget gets tighter, we sell our best players to balance things but either buy inferior replacements because our scouting sucks or promote youth players. It will lead to a further decline on the pitch and fewer big sponsors and less revenue.

1 Like

As long as we drift around just above mid table with, maybe EL football or a few FA Cup runs, that will be enough for the board.
We’ll still be making big profits because we are a massive club.
There are plenty of top clubs that don’t play in the CL that still get loads of supporters at their games and we’ve been at that level for a few seasons so it will just continue.

Any board that chooses a novice manager, rather than proven quality, and then sticks with them has clearly shown their level of ambition and for any supporters that back this decision, they will get what they deserve.
For the rest of us, it’s unacceptable.

1 Like

I don’t even mind the novice manager route but it’s the way they stripped away the organization around him that worries me.

Edu was basically Raul’s bagman, now he’s in charge of recruitment? Vinai is an accountant. Arteta has no experience working transfers. I’d feel way better about things with an actual DoF in place.

2 Likes

This is what I mean about the board.
Not only are they unambitious they are clueless when it comes to running a football club.
They are indecisive, lacking in urgency and there are novices at almost every level of decision making, including Kroenke and the board.

It is a mess and, like you say, an experienced director of football or at least a top quality manager is the bare minimum required to get us out of this constant shambles.

3 Likes

We’re all football fans here tuning into the games just trying to have a good time but you always want something to look forward to and the sad pill we’ve had to swallow for the longest time is that there simply isn’t anything there for anyone involved with Arsenal to look forward to.

5 Likes

We are still in the Europa League isn’t that something to get excited about? I mean we haven’t covered ourselves in glory but we might be able to stumble and bumble our way to a European trophy?

1 Like

Brother do you really believe this Arsenal side are good enough to go on and win that over who’s in it? I cannot see how a team this bad can win it and it’s clear without Saka, Smith-Rowe, Odegaard, Tierney this team can’t even compete with majority of the Premier League let alone latter stages of European competition.

2 Likes

Who’s in it that’s more talented than us?

You think this guy can Di Matteo his way to European glory? (that’s a name you haven’t heard in a while. :joy: )

3 Likes

Dood seriously, he Martinezed his way to an FA Cup last year and our team is much more talented than every team in the comp bar United who’s got a terrible manager of their own. We should be winning despite how bad Arteta is.

1 Like

Slavia, Villareal, United/Ajax/Roma. We can and should beat all those five teams. Regardless of tonight’s game.

Play like tonight we’ll be lucky to make the final, getting beyond Slavia will even be an issue.

If we make the final and it’s against United we all know what happens when we play English opposition in Europe.

1 Like

I think it’ll come down to better organisation tbh

Yeah I think we disagree on how bad this Arsenal side can be tbh. I look at the Olympiakos loss at home, getting overwhelmed by West Ham and thumped by Liverpool as a clear indicator of how weak the overall squad is. We have one first XI that crumbles into several levels below once we get a single injury to the key players. I don’t think you can expect an easy run for this side.

1 Like

Slavia Prague is not a sure thing by any stretch,

4 Likes
3 Likes

I’d expect us to start super slow against them and maybe score one in the second half. If we go down early we could absolutely lose the whole tie in the first leg. The team looked totally lost today and I’m not sure Arteta knows how to fix it. he should fix it by resigning in June

2 Likes

The club is in rapid decline and it could be 4 - 5 years before we get things right on the pitch but only if we get things right off the pitch. Indifferent owners, incompetent/novice people in charge and so is there any surprise our performances on the pitch are indifferent, incompetent and inconsistent.

Mate, it’s 4 games for us to get to the final, 5 if we have to win it. Basically, we need to either put in 3 excellent performances or 4 good performances and 1 excellent performance to win it. I don’t think I have seen that many excellent/good performances all season so far. Just don’t see it happening.

2 Likes

We will not win the EL. Couldn’t do it under Wenger, not under Emery. And we certainly won’t do it under Arteta and this steaming pile of scheisse.

We are 10th in the league. Perfectly mid-table.

Even if we somehow fluke our way to winning the EL this team is a mile away from being competitive in the CL.

The added TV money will be helpful and much better than no euro money at all. But it’s very hard to see it will be enough to buy more than one good player when we need much more than that and anyway, knowing us we’ll blow it all on another shit player anyway.

Artetas not working for us as he’s trying to play Man City style football with players who just aren’t good enough to do it. End result lots of dropped points from mistakes playing out from the back and an inability to create and score good chances in the final third at the rate needed. We’ll never get the money to afford this level of player at this rate so it’s all an exercise in futility by the higher ups.

We need a more pragmatic approach to break this continued spiral of decline.

5 Likes