The State of The Arsenal

That’s a fair point and I think a reasonable way to look at it.

I’m still seeing it as a good season but we did let ourselves down on the run in. Never expected to be in a title race but having gotten there, should’ve at least put up a better fight.

3 Likes

So you want 5-6 big moves then? That’s a bit of a reach, no? We’re second not 7th. We’ve been been one of the best teams in Europe for a good chunk of the season. We don’t need a rebuild at this stage. We need just a couple of key additions now.

Hmmm, so that’s 6 months of the season vs 2. I wonder which one is the real one… :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not obvious to tell imo.

We have 11 players who can play to a good level on their day. But when they’re not at their best, they play like a top 6/8 team.

Then if we get injuries, their replacements are top 8/10 quality at best.

Also this team is largely the same as the team from last year, who crumbled to pieces when it mattered most.

If we got top 4 last year, I’d agree that this is a completely new Arsenal and the last few weeks was just a blip, but given how this has happened twice at the same stage …it’s a sign that we’re not quite there yet.

The biggest change I’ve seen in this squad is that we know how to score a ton of goals.

But look at our defence. Collectively, Arsenal still don’t know how to defend as a unit.

https://twitter.com/AMonFootball/status/1663144863569784839

5 Likes

Those waiting for us to fall off are going to be very disappointed. It’s far more likely that our young team improves.

I have a feeling we might win the title next season. Just like Liverpool came close and the next one they actually won it.

It’s going to be very difficult to break down Man City and the only way to do it is have almost no injuries and be consistent as Liverpool were when they won the title.

Also Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and possibly Newcastle will be stronger than they were this season but I still think we’ll be the main challengers to Man City as long as Arteta is backed fully by the board and gets the players he needs.

:facepalm:

Saw that live and just thought they’re all fucking stupid.

At least Micah threw us a mention at the end but pretty sure he said chelsea first didn’t he?

A day removed from the Wolves match I can honestly say this season was a lot of fun. It was a great to love this team again after a few years of having more than a few players hanging around the squad like a bad smell. While I still think there’s work to be done on a player recruitment front and work to be done with the coach learning some of the nuances of working with a bigger squad (you can’t run a CL campaign with 14 guys), I’m hopeful that the club continues making smart moves in the market (not paying 50m for Mason Mount is a good start) and isn’t gunshy about moving guys out of the club if the money is right. My biggest worry about next season is the absolutely awful mockups of the away shirt.

1 Like

This fucking pundits really keep underestimating us

Although how we dropped off last two months I can’t blame them

Best away side in the league. Excellent achievement, we used to be very shit on the road not too long ago.

Third on home form, gotta improve on that next season. Make Emirates a fortress again, more clean sheets are needed for that.

9 Likes
4 Likes

Man those are some insane stats for Saka, Odegaard, Martinelli and Trossard.

Shout out to Xhaka as well for hitting his best career tally of goals and his first ever brace in his last game for us!!

We just have to build on this. We can’t let this opportunity to build a proper dynastic team slip.

4 Likes

This is precisely why I don’t deem an attacker is maximum priority. We need to ease the burden on the right for Saka but CM and defence are much more pressing issues in my eyes

3 Likes

If we don’t sign an attacker I’d like to see Trossard given more room to rotate in for Saka. I wouldn’t hate having a different physical profile of attacker come in this summer either. Not as pressing as midfield for me though.

1 Like

Home points dropped:

Brighton - 3
Saints - 2
Brentford - 2 (var robbery)
City - 3
Newcastle - 2 (right after WC)

All happened post Christmas and only worrying one was Saints. Brighton I just think they’d checked out.

Flawless pre-christmas, need to do that again to start next season :drooling_face:

None of the pundits are even mentioning us as a threat next season. We’re being written off pretty thoroughly.

In addition to the cunts at Sky above, Simon Jordan going as far as saying we need to spend north of £200m just to stay in the top four.

The tried and true formula for generating clicks and engagement is by pumping up United and Liverpool and talking down Arsenal.

Its ridiculous but I’m fine with it. Let’s play the underdog again. We have a lot to prove anyway and it’ll just make it all the better if we do prove it.

5 Likes