The State of The Arsenal

The divide on the forum certainly isn’t the most frustrating thing about following Arsenal.

For me the most frustrating thing is watching this weak minded club go about their business on the pitch just knowing they’ll fail consistently when any decent opportunity arises.

7 Likes

The same kind of blaming on AFTV

Some people just don’t understand what the root cause is, but blaming people not intelligent and divide the forum/fan base

1 Like

Most sets of fans are pretty similar, so blaming fans for failure is just silly imo.

If we had the last 5 years Liverpool have had and they’d had the last 5 years we’d had, I think you’d be hearing different noises out of both fan bases.

Fan bases generally are a product of what we see on the pitch.

2 Likes

At the start of the season people didn’t even put our squad ahead of Leicester but now we have the 5th best squad huh?

I wonder who made people think that now…
:arteta2:

1 Like

Like every other season Arteta fanatics tell us it’s going to happen but doesn’t.

You keep saying how annoyed you get when people quite rightly criticise Arteta.
But it’s just as annoying for supporters who don’t want him, to constantly hear the same tired excuses like “he’s got the youngest team in the PL” or “all he needs is a few good signings”

The fact is we’ve lost a CL place to our biggest rivals, who have a manager who has done more in a few games than Arteta has in three seasons of record spending, that’s why we criticise him and, unless that changes, will continue to do so.

2 Likes

Yeah I backed the idea of Arteta when a lot didn’t, although he wasn’t my first choice I could see why hoping he was the next big thing was a risk but also worth a go given he worked under Pep.

I defended him last year mostly for the poor start and was a major believer in the post Christmas revival.

But this season with no European football, nearly 3 years into the job now, I can’t defend another sub 60 goal season and a pathetic GD of + 9 including losing 6 of our last 11 games when 4th was for the taking.

3 Likes

Good lord this was a depressing read.

1 Like

It’ll be an underwhelming summer for what we need, I’m near certain we won’t put together a squad that’s capable of winning the EL and finishing top 4.

2 Likes

Fuck The Athletic

1 Like

Reads like complete baseless garbage those points. Anyone with a brain can assume that no CL is obviously going to make things a little more difficult in the market but in regard to what our actual overarching summer plans are they seem to know as much as any other fan.

They’re just blogging at this point rather than actually pursuing any form of journalism- amazing they have the cheek to charge people for that shit

3 Likes

:small_red_triangle:#UCL may have meant additional signing or two
:small_red_triangle: Harder to persuade Saka to sign new deal

Big ooof, never great seeing this from the club’s own spin machine lol

1 Like

When The Athletic defence piece is struggling to defend.

2 Likes

I always thought that all the talk of a big spending transfer window was dubious, especially when some were saying we would be buying two top quality strikers, and a DM as well as strengthening the squad.

Why would the board spend another 200m when they’ve already spent that much and seen no return?

But worse than not getting any top players in, Arteta has the problem of holding onto his best players.
If a big PL club want him, why would a player like Saka stay at a club that can’t even qualify for the CL?

We are going to see spurs retain their best players because they have an elite manager who got them CL football but what have our best players got to look forward to?

1 Like

It is a bit conflicting, isn’t it?
We have been told the 4 key signings were 2 forwards, 1 midfielder and 1 full-back.

So what 1-2 additional signings are we missing out on? Are we talking about deals like the Marquinhos one? In which case, who fucking cares?

‘‘Harder to persuade Saka’’

This line cracks me up. They have no idea of Saka’s intentions. It’s all clickbait bullshit.

5 Likes

Yeh that part in particular just feels like a clickbaity attempt to kick our fans while we’re down this week.

Our signings are entirely dictated by holes in the squad, whether it’s CL or EL we obviously drastically need to fill these. Sure it might change the quality of player we can attract but in terms of bodies in and bodies out our blueprint should remain entirely the same.

Didn’t you know mate they’re all mind readers down at the Athletic. It’s how they get their scoop

Not even sure the quality will change that much. We haven’t been linked with any big time player.
Gabriel Jesus is still on and Youri isn’t a big time player in a market full of midfielders, many of which have a year left in their contract.
Sounds to me that the club always planned for sensible and smart signings.
We’re not talking about going from Mbappe to Lacazette here.

Massive reach from them. The Saka bit was just pure guesswork too. If I’m Ornstein I wouldn’t want my name in there…

1 Like

It might be click bait but at some point Saka is going to want to play CL football for a successful club with a top manager because that’s what the best players do.

Like all our better players, they will start thinking they can win more elsewhere and this is why Arteta’s problem isn’t just attracting decent players, he won’t be able to keep the few he has.

3 Likes

I think Arteta is key here in Saka renewing his contract.
He even said in his presser that the players were asking him about his future because they saw the speculation around him.