The State of The Arsenal

Absolutely

I was going to write the same thing fella

I dont think its a matter of bottling it, I think its a resource issue. We have never had the squad depth available to us that City, Chelsea and maybe United have had.

We rely on our first XI for the entire season, its only natural we fade towards the end of a season, thats what Mikel and Edu need to fix for next season.

1 Like

We bottled it and ran out of steam at the death, a bit like we did last season when top four was in our hands. Which is definitely something that needs addressing, Arteta can’t let us collapse at some point after 30 games next season when there are big things on the line. But he’s a young manager, and there are bound to be some flaws in his game, but I think you’d have to back him to iron those out given what he has shown us.

Bottling it doesn’t mean it wasn’t largely a good season though and one we can generally be pleased with, particularly when compared to initial expectations for this season. I enjoyed this league campaign more than any other since probably 07/08. You’ve got to at least be a bit grateful for that, imo.

The thing about bottling is that you do need to get yourself into a position in which something can be bottled. It stings, but you’d rather be in the position to potentially bottle something than not.

But I won’t be so sanguine about another bottle job next season. Arteta and the team just about get a pass for the last two for me, at this stage. Part of re-establishing ourselves as a truly top team will be cutting that out, and that has to start next season.

4 Likes

Yeah pretty much couldn’t sum it up better than that imo.

How do I get through the paywall to read this guys?

Thankyou GC

Brilliant read :+1:t3:

1 Like

10 posts were split to a new topic: Player of the season 22/23

He’s not alone. I haven’t felt like reading or posting much here either. It will be a while before I get engaged again, maybe when are right in the middle of silly season. Or if we make a signing right at the start of it.

2 Likes

Definitely is deflating. I can’t celebrate like some fans are doing, we definitely threw it away. The last third of the season for me is unforgivable. For me, one or two big signings isn’t enough. I want to see this ownership spend big and show we mean business. I just don’t think Rice and Caicadeo alone would fill me with much hope for the season ahead, we need another 3 to 4 quality players on top of them. And I just don’t think we’re ambitious enough to do that.

3 Likes

I think we’ll definitely make more than just 2 signings. Xhaka is gone so we have to replace him. Partey has fitness problems and Mikel isn’t going to want to rely on him, plus he’ll be 30 soon so we’ll need a younger replacement for him.

I also think we’ll definitely make one attacking signing, probably a striker. And then at the back, Tomi needs replacing as he just cannot be relied upon, as does KT if he chooses to leave. Don’t think we’ll sign another CB cause Kiwior will start to get more games ahead of Holding.

So, I can see us make 4 signings, 3 of which would be first team starters. Not enough to compete with City I know but if we can move out most of our on loan players (Pepe, AMN, Balogun, Lokonga, Tavares, Cedric, Mari and Marquinhos), we might just be able to sign another player.

This! Funny thing is that if these 2/8 wins were spread out across the season and we had the same point tally as we do now, I’d say it was a successful season.

But because we went on such a marvelous run and they made us believe they could do it and wanted it; and then they capitulated with no response right at the end, it’s left a sour taste in my mouth.

What’s the real Arsenal? The one from August till March or the one from March till May?? Cause this has happened twice in a row with no lessons learned.

I think next season will tell us whether this season was a stepping stone to success, or a fluke where the players were just riding on form and the emotional high.

3 Likes

Next season arteta has to be a little more tactically astute. After world cup city were far better at getting a lead and keeping the ball, while still creating chances. We have to be a little more ruthless when on top. Then be able to transition to a solid shape. Not keep sending LB and CM forward to leave the back line exposed. Introducing some passes over the top/runs in behind would help too. It would tire the forward line, but it’s not reasonable to expect them to play and perform like they did every game this season, so rotate as well!

1 Like

That’s a fair point and I think a reasonable way to look at it.

I’m still seeing it as a good season but we did let ourselves down on the run in. Never expected to be in a title race but having gotten there, should’ve at least put up a better fight.

3 Likes

So you want 5-6 big moves then? That’s a bit of a reach, no? We’re second not 7th. We’ve been been one of the best teams in Europe for a good chunk of the season. We don’t need a rebuild at this stage. We need just a couple of key additions now.

Hmmm, so that’s 6 months of the season vs 2. I wonder which one is the real one… :thinking:

1 Like

It’s not obvious to tell imo.

We have 11 players who can play to a good level on their day. But when they’re not at their best, they play like a top 6/8 team.

Then if we get injuries, their replacements are top 8/10 quality at best.

Also this team is largely the same as the team from last year, who crumbled to pieces when it mattered most.

If we got top 4 last year, I’d agree that this is a completely new Arsenal and the last few weeks was just a blip, but given how this has happened twice at the same stage …it’s a sign that we’re not quite there yet.

The biggest change I’ve seen in this squad is that we know how to score a ton of goals.

But look at our defence. Collectively, Arsenal still don’t know how to defend as a unit.

https://twitter.com/AMonFootball/status/1663144863569784839

5 Likes

Those waiting for us to fall off are going to be very disappointed. It’s far more likely that our young team improves.

I have a feeling we might win the title next season. Just like Liverpool came close and the next one they actually won it.

It’s going to be very difficult to break down Man City and the only way to do it is have almost no injuries and be consistent as Liverpool were when they won the title.

Also Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and possibly Newcastle will be stronger than they were this season but I still think we’ll be the main challengers to Man City as long as Arteta is backed fully by the board and gets the players he needs.

:facepalm: