The Russian Invasion of Ukraine

Its a meme dont take it so seriously

7 Likes

If you block any entity financially involved with NordStream doing business in the U.S. you deter them due to the size of the U.S. market (GDP). The U.S. also has power of leverage to block SWIFT transactions while USD remains world reserve currency.

1 Like

Expecting Ukrainian flags and hashtags on people’s profiles on social media today. Always good for informed opinion after a heavenly birthday post.

9 Likes

God I hope the Ukrainians can really kick some arse and that the west really steps up.

This is fucking absurd. The levels of antagonism and expansionism exhibited by Russia the last 18 years is just totally ridiculous and the wests pathetically weak stance of appeasement of Putin has led to this.

War in Europe for the first time since 1945 all thanks to the belligerence of a nostalgic mad man, madness.

7 Likes

Beyond sanctions, what are the consequences going to be?

China don’t care, they will be doing the same thing soon and the West have weak leadership and are more scared of things going nuclear than what Russia are…

Covid over. Now…

its-time-for-the-main-event-of-the-evening

3 Likes

The problem is that the West has way more too lose.

The standard of living and comfort in the West is so high compared to shit hole countries like Russia, that we’re a lot more scared and reluctant to potentially lower our quality of life through full scale war/potential nuclear fallout.

Life for the average Russian is so shit, that war wouldn’t really affect them too much and Russia knows that.

We need to full on sanctions from Europe. Russian bank accounts being frozen, haircuts on said bank accounts, removal of visas from Russian public school and university students etc. Widescale shut downs of Russian businesses in the west and so on.

Really hit them where it hurts.

1 Like

In truth there are inhibitions even on sanctions because Europe has become so dependent on natural gas that Putin can jack up natural gas prices in response. He already has. Phasing out nuclear power and coal means natural gas increasingly is critical for electricity grids (CCGT power stations).

I don’t get what the wargaming with all this is either, unless there is some way for a clean take out of Putin once he is vilified enough for such to be acceptable to the overall “international community”. There is some evidence of this perhaps with calling him a new Hitler, but I still don’t get how you take him out cleanly, when he has nuclear weapons at his fingertips.

Sanctions will definitely be imposed but China will fill that gap for Russia…

1 Like

There is likely no way to get to Putin cleanly, Russia are too armed and as mentioned above, the West has more to lose.

Ultimately Russia probably gets away with this and retaliates against sanctions with increased gas prices - likely a win-win for Russia in the end with a lot of bluster from the West.

2 Likes

Absolutely, these non informed band wagon cunts will be out in force.

2 Likes

Sanctions appear to be the only way, unless Putin really loses his marbles and attacks a Nato member directly in which case who knows…

It’s hard to see Putin surving the harshest of sanctions, but for that to become reaality Europe would have to be prepared to take a hit itself. But I don’t think that’s Looking too likely when you look at the posturing you can see from Italy and Hungary to name just a few, who prioritse their economy over collective action.

Regardless though you’d have to say this is Putin’s last roll of the dice. Ukraine is permanently lost to Russia by these actions, and judging by his demented press conferences the past few days it looks as if he knows that.

3 Likes

I’m seeing all these people reaching out and begging him to bring his troops back and to stop but this has already gone way beyond that now, he will not stop. He wants to get the Soviet Union back and this is just the start.

1 Like

I think what has to happen is that Ukraine cedes Donetsk and Luhansk immediately, draws new borders and then we admit them with immediate effect into NATO.

2 Likes

Seems pretty clear to me that the US and West don’t give a fuck about our eastern neighbours, NATO or not.

I don’t think you’d see the west acting if Estonia or Romania were invaded. It would only be if a NATO country with strategic importance like Denmark or a massive economy like Germany were directly threatened and invaded that we would see a strong NATO reaction.

@Ocke and @oompa what are your stances on Swedish NATO membership in light of this?

1 Like

WWIII?

I just got done with the war on the Clot Shots.

I feel like one of those cops/soldiers in the movies, being pulled back in for one last job.

6 Likes
1 Like

and asks for people to donate blood as there are “wounded soldiers in hospitals”.

Hope they don’t accept dirty vaxxed blood. That’s not cool…

2 Likes

What would Russia have to gain from invading a NATO country though. These countries are now very Europeanised and heavily integrated into the EU for the most part. So even if Russia bought them under control they would somehow have to fight the fact these people are now ideologically on different spectrums to Russians.

The only outcome would be to try and turn it into a complete hotbed mess.

That’s the litmus test for NATO though and tbh I think they draw the line at invasion of NATO country. At some point a line has to be drawn and an attack on a EU country of any kind would be that. If they don’t NATO as a concept has failed and the consequences of that would be massive.

1 Like

No one is going to do shit to Russia. EU/NATO/whatever doesn’t give a shit about Ukraine/Russia’s beef and won’t be stepping in till it directly affects them.