The randomly nothing thread

I do but I see it within the sphere of the spy genre which it revived.

I’m trying to think of good spy movies and I’m struggling a little, I think bridge of spies and tinker tailor soldier spy are classics too

2 Likes

It is action, but I suppose some might classify it predominantly as a spy film. No reason a film can’t fit into more than one genre though, ofc. After all, we’re talking about T2 as an action film, when it’s definitely Sci fi too.

1 Like

Various James Bonds, Mission Impossible, Kingsman was pretty good, The Man from UNCLE was fine I guess, Austin Powers (lol).

Nostalgically, I’d throw Spy Kids in too, I loved that as a kid lol.

1 Like

Love discussions on action movies. Predator is my favourite film of all time. It captures the absolute essence of what an action film is for me. Elite team led by a moral yet immensely violent chief protagonist. There’s betrayal, sacrifice, dark humour, suspense, fantastic one liners (“stick around!”) and best of all, an incredible sense of intrigue and atmosphere. The opening music as the chopper lands is just superb. So many iconic moments. The banter on the helicopter (“This stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me”, when Mac goes hunting the Predator on his own and the razor breaks (“I’m gonna have me some fun”).

T2 and Die Hard are in my top 5 unquestionably as well. I’d also personally put The Rock in there.

Would need to think about the other one in the top 5 for a bit longer. Speed, Leon, Police Story, Con Air, Commando, Total Recall, Running Man, Face Off, Demolition Man…they’d all be be top 20 somewhere.

6 Likes

Grosse Point Blank is the quintessential 90s action film to me.

1 Like

Is Aliens in your top 20?

2 Likes

Also can’t believe no one has mentioned Starship Troopers

2 Likes

That’s a great shout and it would be too, I preferred it to Alien as well.

Instinctively I class it as more of a Sci-fi / horror than pure action movie, but I suppose Predator overlaps a bit with that too.

There are some very good modern action films like the Equaliser (bit of a throwback that one), John Wick and very recently Nobody. But I guess like many others I romanticise those 80s / 90s action flicks and so they always trump whatever comes out these days.

1 Like

Another great shout but I find that’s more of a cult classic than being worth a GOAT mention. I loved the weird propaganda adverts. As a young lad, the naked shower scene at the beginning was etched into my memory for a very, very long time.

2 Likes

I saw that when I was in year 5 and it fucked me up big time I couldn’t finish it :joy:

It looks very dated today but the battle of klendathu scenes scared me shitless, like real paralysing fright here

2 Likes

Definitely cult but I feel like all these films are more cult status than actual god tier cinema lol.

Still Starship Troopers is one of the most fun sci fi films ever made, same goes for Demolition Man which you mentioned both were never off channel 5 and I watched them everytime as a kid.

2 Likes

Snipes in Demolition Man is one of the greatest villains ever. So over the top but utterly magnificent. Trying to think of other great villains. Travolta in Face Off was absolutely sensational too. The sexual chemistry with his pretend daughter…fucked up guy.

Very fair point. Of the ones I mentioned above, I think only Leon stands out as an all around great film. Oldman another superb villain in that. Arguably the best of the lot thinking about it.

3 Likes

It is genuinely quite chilling, I remember finding it upsetting in parts as a kid until you watch it a few times. It’s actually a really good film and story but didn’t get the love, probably as Sol says it was maybe a little too quirky and satirical. I’m not a remake man but damn it would make an awesome Netflix show or something.

2 Likes

This is in my top 5 of all times, absolutely couldn’t bring myself to consider it just jank action as much as I love them. Powerful story and superb acting, ending gets me everytime.

You’re so right, Oldman is amazing, the film is amazing.

2 Likes

Damn, agree with all of this (even though it’s my second favourite film of all time)

1 Like

what is the first favourite?

Man, you come right out of a comic book

2 Likes

Martial arts films like this have surely gotta sit in their own category!

2 Likes

Bet she feels like a right :clown_face:

Kind of feel for her tbh, cunts being named and shamed for genuine deplorable acts is one thing, you reap what you sow but she ruined her life by one moment of idiocy with a sign to her grandparents. With social media what is it is these days you can definitely imagine she’s suffered due to her stupidity.

Also one could argue she was doing the world a favour by trying to eradicate a bunch of cyclists. I’d give her a small fine and some community service, perhaps something in pest control. A year in prison seems excessive for what seems an idiotic yet genuine accident.

3 Likes