The randomly nothing thread

looks as if he took a photo of it inside a shop though

1 Like

Australia is different than the UK. Pretty sure they haven’t had it as bad

Haha yeah we’ve been allowed non essential shopping for nearly a month now haha.

Rowling finally broke.

I have no clue what triggered this or what is the context of ‘Sex is not real’.

The gist is Rowling’s virtue signalling couldn’t keep up with 10,006th nuance of trans community.

3 Likes

She couldn’t be more right yet people will still label her ‘transphobic’. It seems the trans community are so outraged by what’s essentially just the reality. Sex is real.

7 Likes

There would have been so much outcry had a bloke said what she did (in my not-so-distinguished opinion)

I find the argument along the same lines as those who will tell you that same sex marriage threatens the family.

For the most part trans people just want to have the ability to identify (legally if possible) by the gender they see themselves as and not have t spend too much time justifying that.

I don’t see why it has to boil down to a biology discussion at all. I don’t get how someone who was biologically born a man and now wants to identify as a woman threatens the lived experiences of anybody.

4 Likes

There is lots of outcry. Her sex/gender makes no difference here.

2 Likes

I’d agree, but women like Rowling are concerned that people identifying as women can access their spaces where they are vulnerable like toilets, changing rooms and prisons and abuse that access.

More power to anyone wanting to live how they see fit. But things like this when we deny facts lead down a bad road.

1 Like

I must have missed the spate of trans women attacking other women in these spaces that leads to this fear. We’ve had self declaration in Ireland for about 5 years now and this simply hasn’t arisen. A predator is a predator no matter what they put on their birth cert.

There has to be common sense when it comes to things like prisons etc. Not claiming I know what that is but they probably pay clever people to figure that out.

3 Likes

“If sex isn’t real, there is no such thing as same sex attraction”?

Does she think straight men are attracted to trans men?

While I completely agree with what she said and think she articulated it brilliantly you can literally feel the minefield she is shifting herself through as she wrote that. Her caution and fear of misrepresentation is palpable. Begs the question why even open yourself up to absolute fuck on of having to deal with people who find fault and oppression in everything. We live in such an exhausting world at the moment where having an opinion on certain issues isn’t even worth voicing them out loud, regardless of how well you might mean.

11 Likes

Rowling came with this out of blue so no idea what was the context behind these tweets.
I tried digging a bit because I enjoy this topic. So harmless yet so much vitrol. :smile:
There is so much chatter that its hard to know if it is a general opinion or just few loud ones taking the attention, so take this with a pinch of salt. I don’t understand it all, it’s too confusing.

The idea is that there is no binary genders, every person has a spectrum of gender identity. But most of us just confine ourselves to binary roles aligned to our sex i.e. no such thing as man and no such thing as woman.
Most likely Rowling is suggesting them that for trans community to have their identity, it is not necessary to dilute the existence of woman. For most, sex & gender are synonymous and all the women are definitely women and not some society driven gender agenda.

@Castiel is right. Trans community is so philosophical & so quickly offended, that it is a suicide mission for a celebrity to get into an argument with them.
The idea of decrediting J.K.Rowling and making the Harry Potter franchise authorless surfaced within hours of her tweets and half a million individuals backed that notion. its crazy.

That’s certainly one view within the trans community but I don’t think it’s remotely the prevailing or main view. For sure trans charities etc will support that view because they are trying to help people but most trans people are women born as men or men born as women. Most of those who transition do so as quietly as possible and don’t bring attention upon themselves.

Anyone who promotes the idea that there is no men and no women is wrong. If someone said that to me I’d be grown up enough to disagree with them and move on with my day…or just ignore what they had said and silently think they were wrong. I do not (not even remotely) understand how someone comes to the conclusion that if someone says this it somehow erases their own lived experience. I’ve no idea why anyone would feel that.

Any men here feel their identity threatened by people born as women becoming men?

2 Likes

Yep, totally agreed.

I used to be very outspoken and opinionated on Facebook, forums etc. but I just keep to myself these days as it’s not worth it.

Doesn’t matter what your opinion is on anything, someone is going to attack you for it and try and drag you through the mud.

Even here on OA, I used to get into protracted debates on various matters but now I just say my piece and usually don’t bother replying because I feel like it’s a never ending loop.

3 Likes

It hasn’t come out of nowhere in the slightest if you follow her public life, she’s been known to have a position on this subject for quite a long time and regularly speaks about it, and a lot of people have had a problem with her views on it and considered her a terf for a while.

Plenty of people have thought she’s trash for a while, for a variety of reasons, including her “being transphobic”. There’s the retroactive, wokeness of adding minority traits to her characters (Dumbledore gay, Hermione not necessarily being white in the books), her position on Jeremy Corbyn/antisemitism/Labour and then Scottish Independence.

So the idea of her being “cancelled” or whatever didn’t arise over a couple of hours, loads of people have been of that position for years now.

@shamrockgooner has made a few great posts here that pretty closely align with how I tend to view the topic. Great to see :+1:

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve always thought that was farcical. Didn’t she try making a character Jewish as well or something? Just :man_facepalming:

Am I right in understanding that she doesn’t have a problem with men identifying as women she just doesn’t believe in it? And doesn’t want them having the same rights?

As in she doesn’t want men that identify and dress as women to then use the women’s toilet or to speak out on women’s issues and “steal the limelight” so to speak from “real” women?

Has she ever stated how she feels about post-op transsexuals? Does she afford them more legitimacy?

Personally I have no problems with how people identify themselves, and say more power to them. As @shamrockgooner said, they’ve had self-identification for years and there haven’t been a spate of MtF identifying individuals attacking women in bathrooms etc .

I don’t get why people get in such a tizzy about it.

3 Likes

I laughed at this. Man these guys have their own literature.

1 Like

For the uninitiated, that means Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist.

I think it’s a great pejorative term, “terf” just has a great ring to it imo haha

2 Likes

Jesus. I would be kinda embarrassed to know that @JakeyBoy

Irregardless of that comment, JK Rowling is totally right. That community is so full of shit and downright unscientific propaganda. And it really is propaganda. Because the biggest difference between the trans/all these invent stupid ass vocabulary that makes no sense people and actually marginalised groups (latinos in the US, all of the world below the equator basically, millions of other examples we can throw out at will, etc. etc.) is that they have really good $$$ and propaganda behind them, and were lucky enough to attach themselves to the also extremely affluent LGBT movement.

Sex is really as biological a concept as can be. It’s totally written into our DNA. If we start using .01% cases, which by their nature are aberrations, to form rules for everything, then it’s chaos, the scientific method is a piece of shit, and human civilisation as we know it doesn’t work. They’re trying to get us to think in totally disingenuous, tendentious, and intellectually dishonest ways; I honest could give fuck all about trans aside from them being one of the great proponents of modern day intellectually disingenuous propaganda, I don’t run into trans people ever, except maybe at a druggy after at 6-7 in the morning, and if I do, they are totally harmless to me. But their propaganda is absolute bollocks and should not, IMO, be taken with such a permissive attitude as yours or @Shamrockgooner’s ; just as I don’t run into white supremacists on a daily basis, or even a monthly basis, and I am offended by their propaganda because it’s ignorant, intellectually dishonest, etc., I am offended by this community’s ridiculous rhetoric for the same reasons.

4 Likes