The randomly nothing thread

I think it was just the setting. It was grand.

England v Scotland at Wembley in an international tournament. Unheard of.

Scotland also had a decent record at Wembley going into the game (and have won there since, too)

The fact that both teams had drawn their first game and were arguably evenly matched going into this made it a testing affair.

Oh, and it was played out at 3pm on a bright sunny Saturday afternoon.

I’m not just meaning that game I’m meaning the whole tournament haha

Watching the games made me realise how kick and rush the style was back then, especially between the English and the Scots. As a kid you didn’t really realise at the time, but it does go to show football has evolved from the mid 90’s.

Ah yeah, I s’pose a lot is made of it tbh. England only won 2 games in a 90 min spell.

There’s a massive “what if” hanging over this tournament. While beating West Germany in Italia 90 may well have meant losing to a Maradona inspired Argentina in the final, beating Germany in '96 would surely have led to England winning an international tournament

Who would’ve thought nearly 30 years down the line we’re yet to host another international tournament. The home of football; two tournaments in however many years. Sigh.

1 Like

The UK is an ideal location for any major sporting event but no one here is willing to hand out brown envelopes to UEFA/FIFA cronies.

The 2022 WC should be hosted in the UK

2 Likes

Good point.

World Cups shouldn’t be held in heat cauldrons like Qatar, only then to be switched to winter when no one is really “feeling” the World Cup.

Stick to Europe or non-European nations where the weather is more permissible, so to speak.

I forget about this until I was watching rewind 2000’s a throwback show were they look back at each year of a decade in current affairs, music and sport on BBC Scotland and I can’t remember this at all because I was only 11 but in the 2003 episode they talked about Scotland and Ireland bidding to be joint hosts of Euro 2008 but they lost to favourites Australia and Switzerland.

Do you remember this @shamrockgooner ?

Definitely.

Qatar shouldn’t have been awarded the tournament ahead of Australia and the USA, either

1 Like

Evolved into what though. That England team is better than the last world cup one.

It was a badly delivered bid. Seb Coe highlights it in his book. You don’t go around the world preaching about giving the game to the world. You invite them. Arrogant and using a member of royalty is a diplomatic own goal. It’s not the commonwealth games your after.

1 Like

Yea I remember that. It was a pretty pathetic attempt in the end

1 Like

I literally have no idea about it :joy: Could you do a bit of explaining how it was a pathetic attempt? If you can be arsed of course :slightly_smiling_face: Feel free to tell me to Google it :joy:

I’ll meet you half way and link you to the wiki page. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha cheers. :joy: Will read that now :grin:

In terms of tactics, passing and athleticism I would say.

Personally think the world cup squad would trounce the 96 lot :grin:

:laughing:

3 Likes

Not getting that gulf in class at all tbh. Think it’s just modern spin. New is better than old.
Fitness levels are better but easily replicated. 96 defenders can defend better. Passing and finishing is stronger. Tactically the games just stagnant now as most clubs and countries replicate one another.

Ah few things warm my heart as much as a gold digger meeting her match. Good on this dude.

Maya Jama on primetime Saturday night :heart_eyes: Crouchy is a top boy aswell.