The randomly nothing thread

I feel like the summer should have a big celebration in it. Like around the middle of summer. Midsummer we could call it. :thinking:

:henry2:

1 Like

Why would you want to axe holidays you monster?!

Some, not all :hipster:

For example. In this country, there seems to be more of a celebration for St Patrickā€™s day, than St Georgeā€™s day, all because one just so happens to be an excuse to go drinking, regardless if youā€™re Irish or notā€¦

1 Like

Weā€™re most plastic Paddies over here, thatā€™s why. :wink:

1 Like

And this is a bad thing because? :wink:

Just makes a mockery of what holidays are meant to actually be about and who theyā€™re meant to be for. I donā€™t think thereā€™s any holidays now which people celebrate in the actual manner they were originally intended for. Easter, Halloween, Christmas whatever. Itā€™s all just comericial nonsense these days. Donā€™t ever work in retail, if you like Christmas, itā€™ll ruin the enjoyment lol. But whatever.

1 Like

I was joking. Any excuse for a partyā€¦ though I was in a card shop this morning and saw ā€œhappy Halloweenā€ cards. I draw the line at that. Why would anyone send happy Halloween cards?!

Agree with St Patrickā€™s day, I think that is mainly hyped in England just for the pubs to make an extra but of cash. Iā€™d love us to adopt the St Georgeā€™s day tradition that they have in Catalonia where you give your loved one a book or rose. Iā€™m always in the need of more books so thatā€™d be fantastic :grin:

This is the empires way of apologising for the famine, no? :gunnersaurus:

1 Like

I want more bank holidays

Aah @Mysty I found one!

I like Guy Fawkes night

How do you mean?

Thatā€™s the worst one. Fireworks upset my dog :pensive:

4 Likes

The adoption of celebrating or taking advantage of certain occasions or holidays that are festive holidays for that country only, but we for some reason choose to celebrate as well for commercial gains.

So like the St Patrickā€™s day, or having those big sales for ā€˜Black Fridayā€™, which is an American thing, but something thatā€™s made itā€™s way to here now for some reason.

Also, isnā€™t Halloween an American thing as well? I donā€™t fully understand itā€™s origins etc, but Iā€™m sure thatā€™s not really our thing either.

Maybe times are different now, UK after all is a very multi cultural country, but just seems we pick and choose on selective festivities to make a quick buck. Just rather we stick to our own traditions and holidays and stop adopting stuff thatā€™s not really our own thing.

2 Likes

:wink:

In itā€™s commercial format for sure. But like most great things itā€™s Irish. :slight_smile:

And the pumpkin thing, that used to be a turnip thing.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks for sharing @shamrockgooner :slight_smile:

BTW, I do like the idea of what @Persona mentioned earlier about Midsummer. The Scandies/Nordic countries make a big deal about that.

Contrary to the general vibe Iā€™ve been giving off, I donā€™t mind most celebration days, but I really couldnā€™t give a fuck about St Valentineā€™s day though :smiley:

2 Likes

Is that because you donā€™t get any cards? :unai:

I still have the one you sent me last time :cristo:

4 Likes

Donā€™t use them, theyā€™re weird. They have a thing that celebrates peopleā€™s names on certain days. :gabriel: