The Labour Party

Well ive seen government ministers during this pandemic and PPE fiasco breeze through interviews on them shows.
The anti semitism row has never reared its head or anybody interviewed since the day Labour lost the election.
I can’t understand your outlook on this. I actually think newsnight is a bit more insightful too a degree but BBC has been complicit in the Tories reign as it historically always has.

2 Likes

I agree that Newsnight is the best of the BBC news output and is far more in depth.
But Breakfast News presenters are quite opinionated and will often criticise leaders like Trump and Johnson on their personalities and appearance.
There also seems to be a over emphasis on being politically correct and WOKE in their choice of news stories which I think puts a lot of viewers off.
In fact I know it puts a lot of viewers off by the amount of new YouTube channels that pop up telling everyone about it.

They can barely hide their disgust at people like Trump, when he wins, and can barely contain their delight when he loses.

As much as I hate Trump and don’t mind telling people, I’m not an independent broadcaster that is being paid for by the tax payer.

1 Like

You do know the the labour mp that got defeated cut the local hospital funding and in a twist of irony campaigned for the nhs😂. It maybe a Tory government but locally it is labour

Source please. I’d like to learn more about the situation, happy to educate myself.

1 Like

You realise the Tories cut regional budgets, which meant spending cuts were forced on local councils?

4 Likes

I’d have to read the report and see the justification behind that, but this is how the Tories win, by getting control of the message.

Labour have no chance.

1 Like

I was just reading there that they are switching the London Mayor vote system to FPTP from supplementary vote at the next election. What is the fascination with this system?

1 Like

Awful decision. Antidemocratic

FPTP is a big reason why so many if our countries democracies are a mess

1 Like

If you think FPTP is bad just wait until you hear about the Electoral College!

Labour friends of Israel (and all friends of Israel groups in the major parties) should be asked to comment on the violence those settlers perpetrated in the last few nights.

Should be asked what they’re doing to help stop it too. I think it’s a duty of a friend to let you know when you’re being a dick.

3 Likes

Great post that. I’m sure the BBC will be all over it though.

1 Like

I wouldn’t waste your time. You’ll get a lot of whataboutism and mildly racist references to Palestinians “never creating things but only destroying them”

It’s horrible what the government is doing over there.

5 Likes

Labour is in big trouble mainly because it no longer has a core base. What it does have is metropolitan liberals in spades but that’s a base split 3 ways with the Libs and Greens and these voters are too heavily concentrated in the same geographic places, i.e. a handful of cities.

The only hope Labour has, and it’s a long term hope, is that the trend which sees people become more conservative as they get older continues to no longer apply and that a lack of home ownership keeps enough young people locked out and so basically aloof from the conservativism that ought to come with homes, family and stability.

The best Labour can hope for is a failure to deal with the housing crisis. And then it can form some kind of progressive anti-tory coalition. The best thing the Tories could do to hold hegemonic power for decades is get people buying property. If I was Boris I’d make home ownership my absolute priority.

I suppose Labour could also hope that the woke outlook imported from the US continues to grow and seeps out of the cities and captures the young throughout the country. That could be devastating for the Tories long term. I’ve heard this idea mentioned before, but I’m sceptical because people tend to vote how their parents did on the whole and outside of the cities home ownership isn’t such a big problem.

I think all Labour can do is just wait. There is obviously still an appetite for the Corbyn style politics but it’s not enough people. I honestly wonder if they are now basically just the liberal democrats polling higher simply because of the cultural attachment people have to it as a party - lifelong members etc. but that this will continue to ebb and that ultimately Labour’s polling with end up where the Lib Dems are now.

2 Likes

I agree with most of your post but I think it was Corbyn and the left of the party that put middle of the road voters off.

It’s pointless appealing to left wing voters because they’re going to vote for you anyway so Corbyn was never going to attract anyone beyond the hardcore left.

What Labour need is another Blair type leader that will appeal to all those fed up up with the sleaze of the Tories but who are modern and more of a centre party.

Blair might not have been everyone’s favourite but he was electable and brought about a massive change in the Labour party.

2 Likes

It’s exactly what Starmer is trying too be. It just got rejected.
The bigger regional mayor votes in Liverpool and Manchester are because of left wing politics.
More regional autonomy would be a better target for Labour.
Lots of people outside of London have no faith in Westminster.

2 Likes

The problem is, he seems too weak.
When Blair came in, he had a whole team of big personalities, who had a plan and looked like they knew what they were doing.

All I see from this Labour party is agenda driven policies from people that are focusing on minute details rather than the bigger picture.

Unless Labour shift more to the centre, like Blair did, the Tories will continue to beat them.

It was Margaret Thatcher who said that Labour having a leader like Blair that was her lasting legacy.
Basically there’s not much radical change needed when you get back in.

1 Like

Yea and I reckon if there’s going to be another Labour PM anytime soon it’s going to be Andy Burnham. Got out of Corbyn’s shitshoe to be Mayor so his image is better than the rest of them. He’ll run saving the NHS because he’s talked about that in the past.

Labour really do need to run on the north south divide too really. Run on redistributing wealth out of London, which gets far more money spent on it than the rest of the country. Pitch the north and deprived areas of Britain against the south and pick up the civil war victories much like the SNP has with independence and the Tories have with Brexiteers. Might even get some Scottish voters back.

2 Likes

When Blair beat Major, it was hard to tell the difference between the two leaders.
Major was to the left of the Tories and Blair had shifted to the right after the very left wing Foot had been leader.

Although Blair was not really a traditional Labour leader, he was electable and appealed to the floating voter.

I’m not sure if Starmer can do anything, especially with his Party’s image so low.