The Hip-Hop Thread

Black thought solidified his #1 position in my top 5 list with this freestyle.

1. Black Thought
  2. Nas
  3. Andre 3000
  4. Eminem
  5. Ghostface Killah
1 Like

Taken my time getting round to this, but just listened to the album A Beautiful Revolution Part 1 and 2 and really enjoyed it. Its mad how Common is still so sick. Ta for the heads up on this one.

2 Likes

Alchemistā€™s production is ridiculous.

Totally forgot about this album by Black Milk and rediscovered it last night:

And three more albums that I think are kinda slept on:

1 Like

Visiting family this weekend, dad let me dip into his record collection and take some off his hands. Among a few other records that are less relevant to this thread, I had to grab these three absolute classics

6 Likes

It seems weā€™ve found a cool dad.

I saw my dad this weekend too. He spent the whole time telling me about his new graphics card - how theyā€™re going for Ā£1800 and how it actually makes no difference to the 8 year old PC game he plays exclusively.

5 Likes

Haha I got that Grandmaster Flash record from my Dad too!

4 Likes

Thoughts on Mr Morale and The Big Steppers???

After two listens, I very much like it, but Iā€™m not blown away by it. Which is fine, cos thatā€™s a high bar for any album lol

Not listened to this yet but Iā€™ve kind of gone off Kendrick. Had much time to let the dust settle on it? Worth a listen?

Iā€™m really big on Wiki at the moment

Thought it could be fun to list our favourite 5 to 10 MCs of all time.

Note: weā€™re doing favourite, and not best, I donā€™t necessarily consider the two to be synonymous (though thereā€™s definitely some crossover)

In no particular order:

Nas
Biggie
Common
Mos Def
Guru
Q-Tip
Andre 3000
DMX
Itā€™s the Method Man, for short, Mr Meth
Missy Elliot

Was kinda tempted to go for a top 15 as it was hard to leave some names out, and on a different day they might have made the cut, but top 15s arenā€™t really a thing.

2 Likes
  1. Black Thought
  2. Nas
  3. Andre 3000
  4. Eminem
  5. Ghostface Killah
  6. Redman
  7. GZA
  8. Prodigy of Mobb Deep
  9. MF Doom
  10. Big Pun
3 Likes

Nas
AZ
Elzhi
DMX
Ghostface
Benny The Butcher
Common
Guru
2Pac
Jadakiss

If I had to add 4 more:

Big Pun
Prodigy
Big L
Biggie

2 Likes

Since receiving the like Iā€™ve been waiting for the ā€œcurrently postingā€ indicator to turn into a post.

Guess Iā€™ll do the same now @SRCJJ is doing the same (if Iā€™m quick enough)

KITN, is yours in order and thats why its numbered?

Couldnā€™t do 10 had to add 4 more @JakeyBoy

1 Like

Big L and Big Pun feel like shameful gaps in my knowledge. Dont get me wrong, their reputation precedes them, but Iā€™m really not familiar with their work.

Hit me up with the key listening (ideally in terms of albums, itā€™s my preferred way of listening to music)

1 Like

Listen to Capital Punishment by Big Pun. Itā€™s genuinely a classic album, Pun was a master

1 Like

Busta Rhymes would have been in my top 15 lol. Itā€™s not like I think heā€™s one of the very best, I just love his flow and vibe. Probably one of my wilder inclusions lol

1 Like

Yep, I really had a hard time after my top 5. Forgot how much of a monster Jadakiss is until his recent Versus where he totally blows Dipset out of the water.

2 Likes

Jada is just a master the only stain on him is that he never had a classic album and he was never a consistent good song maker

2 Likes

Yeah, that was no contest lol. And I have a certain fondness for Dipset, I loved them for a period in my teenage years, though Iā€™d never really bump them these days lol

2 Likes