The Hip-Hop Thread

Some quality Hip Hop.

4 Likes

I can’t say I listen to hip hop on a daily basis but the series ‘Hip hop: the songs that shook America’ on the BBC has definitely given me a much greater appreciation of it

Kinda amazing how much thought goes behind the song writing, would definitely reccomend!

1 Like

Get well soon DMX :frowning_face:

My record collection is starting to grow to a pleasing size, but I realised that I didn’t have any hip hop albums yet. This is mostly cos my family have bought many of my records for me as gifts, and are on far more comfortable ground buying me music they also have knowledge of. I don’t think they’d have a clue which hip hop artists or albums I like lol.

Anyway, I felt this was a great album to cop first. Got Illmatic coming in the next few days too :raised_hands:

2 Likes
4 Likes

Guru forever underrated. One of the best.

4 Likes

Yesssss, love Loungin

Just recently discovered his Jazzmatazz albums and they’re great

1 Like

Your’e in for a treat mate, that Hip Hop and Jazz combo plus Guru’s delivery, is unmatched.

Oh yeah man, I’ve listened to them both quite a few times each since I stumbled across it on Spotify a month or so ago.

Such a great vibe for having on while working.

Yo, is anyone listening to The Midnight Miracle podcast?

Talib Kweli, Yasiin Bey (aka The Mighty Mos Def) and Dave Chappelle seems too strong a set of hosts to flop.

Been meaning to give it a listen since it popped up in my feed a few weeks ago but not quite got round to it yet.

Hip hop turns 48 today :grin:

No Briffa tweet to mark the occasion?! :grin:

1 Like

final Kendrick album with his current label coming

:cold_face:

After all these years;

Nas, AZ and Elzhi still make my top 5 most listened to artists

Top genre: boom bap :rofl:

That’s how I know I’m officially past it, because I refuse to believe that’s a legitimate genre.

3 Likes

Boom Bap was huge in the 80s and 90s. Nas, Gang Starr, Mobb Deep, Jay-Z, Common would all have boom back tracks. That’s because guys like DJ Premier, Alchemist, RZA, Havoc, Statik Selektah, Pete Rock and so on we’re all massive boom bap guys.

I even went on the wiki page to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind and boom bap was what I remembered it to be haha.

In other words it’s classic hip hop sub genre

2 Likes

Damn, OK, learn something new every day, had no idea it was an old school thing. Surprisingly, given that era is absolutely my jam.

1 Like

@JakeyBoy feel like you might appreciate this one. Common at his best, can’t believe this is a 2021 version of Common.

@Electrifying and @wilshambition

And @Burgundy wherever his good soul has gone

4 Likes
1 Like