The Hip-Hop Thread

It’s close, I just think Stillmatic has more tbh

I’m not a major Wu fan but I respect what they brought to the game. My homie is from their hood and he was at the ceremony where they named a street in their honor.

With that said, here are my favorite Wu Albums ( In no particular order)
Iron Flags
Wu Tang Forever
8 diagrams

In my opinion, Wu’s best work has always been their solo projects.

As for 90’s and 00’s shit, here is my list ( In no particular order)

Slum Village- Fantastic Vol.2 1999-2000
Outkast- ATLiens 1996
Gang Starr- Moment of Truth 1998
AZ- Do or Die 1995
Dead Prez- Let’s Get Free 2000
Big Pun- Capital Punishment 1998
Nas-Illmatic 1994 ( I still got the cassette of this joint)
Jay- Reasonable Doubt , Hard Knock Life Vol.2, and Blueprint ( 96, 98, 01)
Pharcyde- Labcabincalifornia 1995
A tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders 1993
Poor Righteous Teachers- Holy Intellect 1990

Common- Like Water for Chocolate 2000
Blu and Exile- Below the heavens 2007
Little Brother- The Minstrel Show 2005
The Roots- Rising Down 2008
The Roots- Game Theory 2006
The Roots- Illadelphia Halflife 1996
The Roots- Things Fall Apart 1999
The Diplomats- Diplomatic Immunity 2003 (Streets was blowing up with this shit B)
Ye- Late Registration and Graduation 2005 and 2007

too many to name bruh

1 Like

In no particular order :

Masta Ace - Take a look around / A Long Hot Summer
ATCQ - The Low End Theory / Midnight Marauders
UGK - Ridin Dirty
Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
Cormega - The Realness

will edit if I remember others.

1 Like

Jay z becomes the first billionaire rapper.

Mobb Deep - Hell on Earth
Ghostface Killah - Supreme clientele
AZ - Aziatic
AZ - Pieces of a man
Capone n Noreaga - The war report
Gang Starr - Moment of Truth

didn’t Dre become a billionaire after he sold Beats to Apple?

I thought that too but apparently he was just short

Defo thought it was Nas that came out as gay this morning :grimacing::joy:

Care package taking me back to best drake :giroud2:

Tekashi69 or whatever, putting in the work :arteta:

@JakeyBoy

2 Likes

1 Like

Mystikal McGhee is phenomenal. Really marvellous that.

3 Likes

Live band & Madlib/Freddie. Woo.

2 Likes

Right it’s almost the end of the decade, so here’s my favourite albums of the 2010s.
Would love to hear you guys’

1. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West - 2010
This is a masterpiece. Almost flawless. Kanye’s magnum opus, where he is lyrically at the top of his game. Interesting subject matter too, looking at the hedonism of celebrity life and also the drawbacks. Production was also Kanye at his best. This is him at his absolute peak.

Nicki Minaj with an amazing verse on Monster too, which took me a while to actually realise. The rest of the features were quality too.

My most listened to album. I fucking love it. The first couple notes of the first song, Devil in a new Dress, Runaway. At Hell of a Life I was like, 'this album is amazing, probably one of the best of the year. By ‘Lost in the World’ I was like this album is one of my all-time favourites. A great journey.

2. Good Kid mAAd City - Kendrick Lamar - 2012
I already did a post somewhere about why I liked this album so much. Maybe it was on the old forum, because I can’t find it here.

Basically, great west side album that takes a look at the gang culture away from the classic gangbanger cliche, but more from the nerdy kid that gets swallowed up in it.

3. Take Care - Drake - 2011
Guy has arguably been the biggest hip-hop star of the decade. This is his best album. Some proper breakup/relationship song. Gets you in your feelings. Underground Kings is my favourite song maybe, along with Marvin’s Room which is notorious at this point.

4. My Krazy Life - YG - 2014
Subjective I know. What I said above in the GKMC bit about cliche gangbanger west coast albums? This is basically that to a T, from full time Piru Blood and rapper YG.

I love it though because I loved the old ones from back in the day and this is the best it’s been done for a long time. DJ Mustard with some HARD beats as well. BPT, Bompton and Ny N*gga all worth a listen.

5. Islah - Kevin Gates - 2016
Really vulgar, hard and intense, but this was the album I had on repeat in 2016. I love Kevin Gates’ flow as well. Talks about family life while being a drugdealing criminal. Classic. Really Really, Two Phones, Time for That all quality.

6. Dirty Sprite 2 - Future - 2015
Trap music took off after the turn of the decade and is now at stratospheric levels, with any random soundcloud rapper making it big. Future is for me the best of these. He’s had a great decade.

This is his best work, as some of his best songs from earlier mixtapes get a touchup and are part of a pretty cohesive project. No real misses, solid production. My the US really has an opioid crisis, probably a benzo crisis too. Fuck up some Commas :giroud2:

7. Section.80 - Kendrick Lamar - 2011
Just another quality Kendrick Lamar album. Talking of poverty in Los Angeles as drugs and crime is rife and the lost ‘Ronald Reagan generation’. Classic sublime Kendrick storytelling. Spiteful chant is one of my favourites, as is Keisha’s Song.

8. Run the Jewels 2 - Run the Jewels - 2014
Killer Mike and El-P bring the fire to this. Some quality production as they both rage at the establishment and structural inequality and corruption. Lie Cheat Steal Kill Win is a good song here.

9. Pinata - Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - 2014
Madlib is one of the GOATs. He and Freddie Gibbs (who imo is the closest thing to Tupac we got) have got great chemistry and they combine well for this quality album. Great lyricism as this album also talks about the cocaine trade

10. Watch the Throne - Jay Z & Kanye West - 2011
This was so hyped back when it was about to come out. 2 of the absolute best teaming up? Unbelievable. Like the Hip-Hop equivalent of MSN 2015.

Jay Z still making some big hits, but Kanye coming off MBDTF. Expectations were through the roof, and they largely delivered.

N*ggas in Paris and No Church in the Wild are amazing songs. There are many more too, but there was some filler.

Production was on point, and both Kanye and Jay performed well to make this a big success.

Honourable mentions: The Barter 6 - Young Thug - 2015, Summertime '06 - Vince Staples - 2015, Yeezus - Kanye West - 2013 and many more that i’ve forgotten now.

It’s been a great decade for Hip-Hop as it’s probably the most popular genre of music to listen to now.

Hope for an even better one now coming.

1 Like

Elzhi - Elmatic
Kendrick - GKMC
Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
Travis Scott - Astroworld
Elzhi - Lead Poison

The only ones that jump out at me right now

1 Like

DMX from 1998-2001 is one of the goat’s.

1 Like

It’s been bad to see the state he’s been in in more recent years, seen a few videos where it seems like the guy is cracked out.

He made some of the hardest hip hop back in the day, if I were a boxer my walkout music would 100% be DMX, I’d be ready to take on prime Tyson with the relentless aggression of some of his music coursing through my body lol

2 Likes

Tyson came out to his intro on one of his albums (it’s dark and hell is hot) once. One of the :goat: entrances in boxing history.

2 Likes

Anyone of these or Get it on the Floor would do the job :grin:

2 Likes